Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-30-2011, 10:51 PM   #1
Taya
Taya began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
can't buy books from B&N anymore due to canadian address

Hi,

My aunt has had a Nook for almost a year now. She registered with a Canadian credit card, and a canadian address. She has had no problems buying ebooks.

All of a sudden since last week, she cannot buy books anymore. I even gave her an american address to use, but when she tries to buy a book it says it will not let her due to her canadian address.

She tried to call and email B&N, but they are absolutely unwilling to help her.

Has this ever happened to anyone before, and were you able to fix it?

Thanks!~
Taya
Taya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:34 AM   #2
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taya View Post
Hi,

My aunt has had a Nook for almost a year now. She registered with a Canadian credit card, and a canadian address. She has had no problems buying ebooks.

All of a sudden since last week, she cannot buy books anymore. I even gave her an american address to use, but when she tries to buy a book it says it will not let her due to her canadian address.

She tried to call and email B&N, but they are absolutely unwilling to help her.

Has this ever happened to anyone before, and were you able to fix it?

Thanks!~
Taya

If your aunt registers her B&N account with an US shipping and billing address, she should be able to buy books.
The billing address is not checked, so an US address will work fine.

With a Canadian address your aunt should not have been able to buy most of the books at B&N. Strange that this worked for her.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:39 AM   #3
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I have a US address, both shipping and billing, but BN will not sell me any books when I'm using my non-US credit card. Other things (like Nook accessories) I can buy.
It used to be that they checked the IP address, so while in USA i could buy books, but it's rumoured that won't work anymore. WOn't be back in US until June, so I can't check that now.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:04 AM   #4
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Why give B&N your(her) business with a policy like that? There are plenty of other companies who are willing to deal with Canadians.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:54 AM   #5
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
I have a US address, both shipping and billing, but BN will not sell me any books when I'm using my non-US credit card. Other things (like Nook accessories) I can buy.
It used to be that they checked the IP address, so while in USA i could buy books, but it's rumoured that won't work anymore. WOn't be back in US until June, so I can't check that now.
Outside the US and Canada you also need to use an US VPN to get an US IP-address (like Hotspot Shield (free) or AlwaysVPN ($8.50)). Than you can use your PC to buy books, magazines and apps. Sync your Nook libary to download to the Nook.

Because some B&N books are available to Canada, US and Canadian IP-addresses are allowed. So for Canada an VPN is not needed.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:36 AM   #6
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
Why give B&N your(her) business with a policy like that? There are plenty of other companies who are willing to deal with Canadians.
Agree!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:15 PM   #7
Doug Pardee
Zealot
Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.

Device: B&N NOOK 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
There are plenty of other companies who are willing to deal with Canadians.
B&N would love to do business in Canada. Unfortunately, Canada forbids B&N from doing business in Canada. If you don't like that, write your MP and complain about the Investment Canada Act, which protects Canadian bookstores (and various other businesses) from foreign competition.

Amazon paid $20 million to get approval to operate in Canada. Apple simply thumbed its nose at the law, got investigated, and was allowed to continue. Similarly, Hachette began distributing books illegally in Canada, was never investigated, and drove Canada's biggest book distributor, H. B. Fenn, out of business earlier this year.

Maybe B&N should go ahead and ignore the law, too. Then maybe Indigo and Chapters can go the same way that Borders did.
Doug Pardee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:07 PM   #8
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Pardee View Post
B&N would love to do business in Canada. Unfortunately, Canada forbids B&N from doing business in Canada. If you don't like that, write your MP and complain about the Investment Canada Act, which protects Canadian bookstores (and various other businesses) from foreign competition.

Amazon paid $20 million to get approval to operate in Canada. Apple simply thumbed its nose at the law, got investigated, and was allowed to continue. Similarly, Hachette began distributing books illegally in Canada, was never investigated, and drove Canada's biggest book distributor, H. B. Fenn, out of business earlier this year.

Maybe B&N should go ahead and ignore the law, too. Then maybe Indigo and Chapters can go the same way that Borders did.
Something is happening, I do not know if this can help you.
Today I tried to buy an ebook from Italy and B&N allowed it! I have downloaded it on my Nook, without any problem.
Maybe they are lifting the restrictions on geography. Try again.
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:19 PM   #9
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by brudigia View Post
Something is happening, I do not know if this can help you.
Today I tried to buy an ebook from Italy and B&N allowed it! I have downloaded it on my Nook, without any problem.
Maybe they are lifting the restrictions on geography. Try again.
Was it a PubIt! ebook? Or published by a small press?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:28 PM   #10
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Was it a PubIt! ebook? Or published by a small press?
I bought a book by Lilith Saintcrow, Heaven's spite and I succeded. It was published by Orbit. If I understand, I usually do not look.
I have tried also with one of the free ebooks, and it also went well.
Cross our fingers ?
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:22 PM   #11
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by brudigia View Post
I bought a book by Lilith Saintcrow, Heaven's spite and I succeded. It was published by Orbit. If I understand, I usually do not look.
I have tried also with one of the free ebooks, and it also went well.
Cross our fingers ?

Interesting. Yes, Orbit, an imprint of Hachette, is an Agency title. I'm glad it worked for you. The next in the series has been published recently.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:51 PM   #12
kelsoanim
kelsoanim is a marvel to beholdkelsoanim is a marvel to beholdkelsoanim is a marvel to beholdkelsoanim is a marvel to beholdkelsoanim is a marvel to beholdkelsoanim is a marvel to beholdkelsoanim is a marvel to beholdkelsoanim is a marvel to beholdkelsoanim is a marvel to beholdkelsoanim is a marvel to beholdkelsoanim is a marvel to behold

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color and Motorola Xoom
The great thing about Nooks is you can sideload any epub ebook from other stores. Just use a multi store ebook search tool like Luzme.com or Inkmesh.com to find the book you want in epub format. Then download Adobe Digital Editions and plug in your Nook to your computer with a USB cable. It with authorize your Nook so you can add DRM ebooks from non BN sources. Then you can just drag the book you purchased to your Nook using the Adobe program.

You can also use Adobe Digital Editions to read ebooks checked out from the library.
kelsoanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:54 PM   #13
zazou
zazou began at the beginning.

Device: nook touch; Kobo vox; Sony 350
I was also able to buy book before with my Canadian credit card but now it's doesn't work anymore.

I've try to buy myself a gift card but it's not working either.
zazou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:53 AM   #14
chrisparker
Connoisseur
chrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: iPad Air 4, iPad mini 5, Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Nook ST Glowlight
I was in the States the other day and couldn't buy a book - "Need a US billing address". As you say, B&N used to look for a US IP address, now they need a US billing address.

Fortunately I've got a US credit card, so I looked up the address I used when I applied for it, plugged that into the B&N website, and managed to buy some books.
chrisparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:04 AM   #15
geertm
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
I was in the States the other day and couldn't buy a book - "Need a US billing address". As you say, B&N used to look for a US IP address, now they need a US billing address.

Fortunately I've got a US credit card, so I looked up the address I used when I applied for it, plugged that into the B&N website, and managed to buy some books.
You always needed an US billing address. You can use an Canadian credit card. Just use an US address as shipping and billing address. The billing address is not checked, any valid US address will do. Just google something.