Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-11-2010, 12:35 AM   #1
MeganJoan
MeganJoan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Firmware upgrade for Australians?

So I'm reading a lot about this new firmware. Call me crazy but I can't figure out where to actually download the upgrade from. Can we even get it in Australia? I wish the Borders app wasn't so completely useless *sigh*

Any help would be much appreciated!
MeganJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 02:57 AM   #2
tpw
Zealot
tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Sony PRS650
Hi MeganJoan

This is the link I used. It downloads the kobo software, not the useless borders app we know and love...

http://download.kobobooks.com/desktop/58/KoboSetup.exe

You don't actually need to log on to the kobo app for the firmware upgrade, which is good. Have a look at a few other threads here for any potential pitfalls.

The upgrade fixes the font scaling and a few other things, but does introduce an autopowerdown function which many people (including me) find extremely annoying. Your call!
tpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 03:21 AM   #3
roguefan99
Zealot
roguefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7, and Kobo
Note that if you wish to go back to the borders software you cant do this if you have upgraded it seems. Personally I'm not to worried about that so I upgraded (had problems with my SD card, and now Vista complains everytime I put my kobo in).
roguefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 03:38 AM   #4
MeganJoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpw View Post
The upgrade fixes the font scaling and a few other things, but does introduce an autopowerdown function which many people (including me) find extremely annoying. Your call!
I get almost none of my books from Borders so I have font scaling issues with almost ever book I read and it'll be much easier not to have to use a third party app to fix the bug. That said it's going to be VERY annoying have to start my ereader all the time as I'm one of those whip it out and read for 5 minutes kind of users.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:52 AM   #5
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I am almost tempted to wait for the next firmware upgrade. I can run a thrid party app as necessary. The power off features in the latest firmware is not the best it seems.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:05 AM   #6
tpw
Zealot
tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganJoan View Post
I get almost none of my books from Borders so I have font scaling issues with almost ever book I read and it'll be much easier not to have to use a third party app to fix the bug. That said it's going to be VERY annoying have to start my ereader all the time as I'm one of those whip it out and read for 5 minutes kind of users.
I've bought precisely zero books from the borders store, since it gives b%^&*%r all control. Which means I basically use calibre to load everything in, and it removes the font sizing hassles too. And justifies the text, and allows me to add better looking book covers, and allows me to remove the free books, and, and and you get the picture!

So basically the new firmware fixed things that weren't bothering me, but introduced a "fix" which drives me up the wall. Bring on 1.5!
Old 07-11-2010, 04:16 AM   #7
sabredog
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is there a Calibre tutorial for fixing up font issues for the Kobo?
Old 07-11-2010, 04:39 AM   #8
tpw
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
What issue are you having? If it's the size issue, just use Calibre to convert the book and in the "Look and Feel" tab tick the box that says "Disable font size rescaling".

There probably are tutorials somewhere but calibre is dead easy to use. Let me know if you need any other help.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:41 AM   #9
MeganJoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=font+size+fix

This works a treat. If you run into a problem getting the app to start read the rest of the thread and follow the instructions.

---

As for the actual update. I'm one of those lucky people whose Kobo won't go into upgrade mode! It's completely ridiculous.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:34 AM   #10
sabredog

Cheers