Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-25-2013, 05:44 PM   #1
Frotz
Frotz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frotz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frotz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frotz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frotz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frotz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frotz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frotz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frotz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frotz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frotz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle touch
Flashing a Kindle Touch, but getting "waiting for device"

I have acquired a Kindle Touch demo unit with the intention of reflashing the firmware to make it operate as a regular Kindle. Geekmaster's post on debricking (http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...d.php?t=170929) seems to be the right path to follow, but it doesn't explain the process of getting the device into fastboot mode. Instead the reader is directed to a "Select Boot" thread (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?t=169645&). In a WinXP VM in Virtualbox I ran mfgtool.exe on the device after I put it into recovery mode, selecting the "kindle fastboot" profile. lsusb now shows the device as "Bus 001 Device 058: ID 1949:d0d0 Lab126". At this point, I think I'm supposed to be able to run fastboot, but it stalls with "< waiting for device >". What am I missing?

Frotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
urbster1
urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle Touch
You're in luck! I just followed this procedure today. At this point you need to run libusb and install the .inf file (or just install it manually if you can). You should show "Kindle" or "Fastboot Kindle" and at that point running fastboot should connect instead of waiting for the device.
urbster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
Frotz
Frotz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frotz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frotz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frotz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frotz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frotz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frotz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frotz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frotz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frotz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frotz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle touch
Perfect! That did the trick. I'll have to write up a distillation of what I see here into a single PDF for Linux users.

Frotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
urbster1
urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

You're welcome! Like you, I was confused about this yesterday but I figured it out today. Glad to help!
Old 01-25-2013, 10:21 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Some of them will win,
Some of them will lose,
Some are born to sing the blues.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #6
shafin
shafin can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.shafin can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.shafin can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.shafin can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.shafin can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.shafin can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.shafin can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.shafin can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.shafin can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.shafin can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.shafin can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbster1 View Post
You're in luck! I just followed this procedure today. At this point you need to run libusb and install the .inf file (or just install it manually if you can). You should show "Kindle" or "Fastboot Kindle" and at that point running fastboot should connect instead of waiting for the device.
I'm having exactly the same problem. How do I run libusb in linux (ubuntu) ?
shafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:05 PM   #7
urbster1

Try "sudo apt-get install libusb-dev" -- you shouldn't have to "run" anything AFAIK. Someone with more linux experience can correct me if I'm wrong, but once the package is installed it should detect the device.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:18 PM   #8
shafin
shafin can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.shafin can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.shafin can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.shafin can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.shafin can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.shafin can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.shafin can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.shafin can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.shafin can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.shafin can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.shafin can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle
I already had libusb-dev installed. My system is 64 bit, so I also installed the 32 bit library, libusb-dev:i386, but still stuck at the same prompt

Edit: Nevermind, it was my mistake. I tried to use ubuntu built in fastboot, which apparantly does not play nice with kindle. After using kindle specific fastboot script, its working now.

Last edited by shafin; 02-04-2013 at 10:38 PM.
shafin is offline   Reply With Quote