Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-19-2013, 05:29 AM   #1
pvdas
Enthusiast
pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Boox i86ML Plus
Battery indicator is useless and dangerous

The battery indicator on my M92 goes to 2 bars and then the device shuts down saying 'battery low'. It has been running for over a week on one charge, while using it a lot, so I assume the battery is OK, just the indicator is not calibrated. That leads to potential danger, because the M92 does not save the last work, e.g. scribble, and shuts down. All the work from the time when the file was closed last time, and thus saved, is lost. So if someone is working on a file for longer period and just suspending the M92, if that happenes to him, with 2 bars left and therefore not suspecting anything, it maybe very distressful. Is it possible to change in the next update that the work is saved by properly closing the file, before shut down? Is it also possible to add a calibration for the battery?

Thank you.

Last edited by pvdas; 01-19-2013 at 05:32 AM.
pvdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:46 AM   #2
tugler
tugler began at the beginning.

Device: M92
Well this could be solved by 2 methods. Both of them should be included in the firmware.

a) proper auto calibration of the battery management chip
b) auto save every 10? minutes - at least as an option in settings menu
tugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2013, 09:06 AM   #3
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Actually in the new PDF Reader we implemented saving of annotations and scribbles after turning to the next page (and also by closing of document) page. Does it not work for you? Did you update your device?

Battery icon will be refreshed by updating of a page only.
If you have deactivated automatic suspend mode, and let an opened document over night, next morning battery indicator could still show you 2 bars, even if the battery is almost empty and is short before allarming you with the "low battery" message. Only turning to the next page (or other action, which updates the screen) will display the correct state of the battery.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:12 PM   #4
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Booxstor, would it be possible to implement also automatic saving every 15 min (or so) and/or saving when going to sleep/off.

Also might be a good idea refresh battery indicator every hour or so.

And, I am not sure now if clock behaviour has changed, but generally my impression was any clock in M92 changes only when page is redrawn. Might be fine, if it changes every minute.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:23 PM   #5
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
Booxstor, would it be possible to implement also automatic saving every 15 min (or so) and/or saving when going to sleep/off.

Also might be a good idea refresh battery indicator every hour or so.

And, I am not sure now if clock behaviour has changed, but generally my impression was any clock in M92 changes only when page is redrawn. Might be fine, if it changes every minute.
Hi, Mono!
As far as I know the annotations and scribbles should be saved before going to suspend mode. I will check it.
Regarding updating of battery and clock in particular periods of time - good idea. I will try to implement it in the next update..
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

I think, I never lost my scribles and I do them on almost every page. And I use mostly only suspend, not off. So, most probably it is saved when going to suspend.

If programmers look on saving code. It might be also good if they do something with the case when it is not possible to write. At least issue the warning. The better would be if they issue warning and write it somewhere else and recover the content when writing becomes possible.

Many of current programmers expect abundance od memory and writing space. I myself do less and less checking.... The main problem is that SD card might be, by mistake, write protected. I use micro SD card in adapter and in some adapters the switch is so loose the write protection may switch on when inserting without care.

One might loose several days' work.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:39 AM   #7
pvdas
Enthusiast
pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.pvdas is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Thank you very much. I have the latest update installed 2013.01.02 and using black M92 from ereader-store (Booxtore). For my work I am using scribble only and not shutting down the device, only suspending it. The battery lasts long and it won't drain 2 bars over night, especially because I am not using wi-fi or anything which may drain the battery. In average I turn a page every 5-10 minutes and still I lost all the scribbles that day. If I switch of the M92 without closing the document then no problem, all gets saved. Some problem is with suspend mode. Maybe the scribbles don't get properly saved on suspend, because when I lost my day work, I suspended a few times, without closing the document, and when I looked into the .onyx directory the scribble file was just a few KB instead of an MB or so, from my experience of the amount of scribbles I made. Could there be a 'save' option in the toolbar or menu? For now I always close and open the document at the end of the day.

Regarding the battery indicator I replaced the battery and see if it would show better. BTW I have black and white M92 both from Booxtore, and there is a different battery connector in each. With the black one I also ordered a spare battery, but it is meant for the white one only so I had to do a little bit of soldering Will let you know what happened in a few days.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:08 AM   #8
Mono
Mono

Scrible saving in PDF reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Actually in the new PDF Reader we implemented saving of annotations and scribbles after turning to the next page (and also by closing of document) page.
@Booxstor
I made a tests concerning sribles' saving in new PDF reader latest update. My finding are:
* scribles are saved if I leave document or switch-off the reader
* scribles are not saved if I turn page or switch to suspend
Old 02-12-2013, 03:19 AM   #9
pvdas
Enthusiast

Changing the battery helped. Now the indicator goes to last line and then it shuts down

With the current update we have got very powerful reading device thanks to all the members of this forum, especially to Booxtor. To make it even better my humble request is to make sure that when battery are low and then the device is just about to shut down, to save and close the file being worked on together with the scribbles and annotations. It does not happen as yet. Another would be to make a save button and/or to make sure that with flipping every page the scribbles get saved.

Thank you.