Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 02-23-2008, 04:43 PM   #1
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Greetings from Melbourne

Hi all

Even though I've posted a few times on the forum already, I haven't introduced myself properly (as my 5 yr old daughter would say "manners, dad, manners" ).

Another reason I am making the intro now is that I feel I have fully joined the club by forking out a mini-mortgage for an Irex Illiad to our trusted and beloved Dymocks bookstore down here.
I'm expecting it in my greedy little fingers tomorrow (even changed the shipping address to the office!), and I'm hoping to use it both at work and for readig at home. Will keep you posted how I go.

Cheers,

m-Reader
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 04:54 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
G'day m-reader and welcome to the Forum. Be sure and let us know how you like your Irex
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:06 AM   #3
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
Wow, welcome and I'm impressed that someone actually took Dymocks up on their offer. I looked at it but for the price (and the price of the books) I couldn't bring myself to buy one. They look really good, especially the note-taking acility. Hopefully they'll be cheaper in the next few years
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:29 AM   #4
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

To be honest, I was with you on that, but then I got talked into buying the Illiad locally.
We'll see how it goes in meetings and such. I am hoping to use it to read lots and lots of install guides, API manuals and white papers as well .
I will post my impressions on the Illiad forum soon!

Cheers,
m-reader
Old 02-24-2008, 07:37 AM   #5
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
After all my disparagement of Dymocks, I too bought an Iliad from them. Although the processing of my order has me remain feeling they are totally worthy of my disparagement, I must say the Iliad is a truly cool device. Mine's chockers with books, and only some paid for - a Modern Library series which would have cost me between $100 and $200 new in dead-tree form cost me $32 from Mobipocket, a massive saving, and that's putting aside the books I haven't had to pay for. It will pay for itself very quickly (well, as quick as it takes me to read all those books, anyway ).

I wish I could find Clive James's 'Cultural Amnesia' in ebook form though (I own the dead-tree version). The man seems quite internet savvy in ideals, so it seems a shame his publisher isn't on board as far as his books go.

Oh, yeah, I think you'll love it m-reader. By the way, if you put your Dymocks order number (including the 'DYM' bit) into the tracking box here:

http://www.tnt.com/country/en_au.html

and pick the "reference" option, you should be able to track your delivery with TNT, at least to a limited degree.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:34 AM   #6
m-reader
Guru

Thanks Marc - I agree, it's a great little gadget!
By the way, no need for the TNT tracking. I ordered it on Friday, it was delivered at 10.30 this morning ...
I also just realised I've been spelling iLiad as Illiad ... Oh well, not my fault the spell checker didn't pick it up
Cheers,
m-reader
Old 02-25-2008, 06:49 AM   #7
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
Thanks Marc - I agree, it's a great little gadget!
By the way, no need for the TNT tracking. I ordered it on Friday, it was delivered at 10.30 this morning ...
I also just realised I've been spelling iLiad as Illiad ... Oh well, not my fault the spell checker didn't pick it up
Cheers,
m-reader
Ahh, so you got yours straight away, hey? Can't say I had the same experience with Dymocks ([cough]bastards[cough]), but, there you go.

So, have you charged it yet? Have you played yet? Have you got way more public domain books than you're probably ever going to read on it yet? Have you given it a name yet? (Mine's called "George") Has it connected to Skynet and downloaded its anti-human sociopathic AI module that is going to make it become fully autonomous tonight and leap from the top of your bedside table to kill you in your sleep yet?

Cheers,
Marc
Old 02-25-2008, 10:54 PM   #8
m-reader
Guru

It was charged at work yesterday right away - for full three hours as stipulated by the manual (and turned on the minute it was on the charger).
I think the best compliment I got was from my wife - she took one look at it and asked "Why don't you remove the screen protector?", and I answered "That IS the screen darling!".
She thought it was a fake screen, as she couldn't believe that a computer screen (her words) could be that clear and paper-like!

Haven't named it yet, my 5 yr old daughter calls it PPA though (for PDA which is what I had before).
Old 02-25-2008, 11:40 PM   #9
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
Haven't named it yet, my 5 yr old daughter calls it PPA though (for PDA which is what I had before).
"PiPpA" sounds good, like that lovely character from "Home and Away".

Cheers,
Marc