Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-27-2011, 08:32 AM   #1
Ekdog
Connoisseur
Ekdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with others

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Kindle Battery Icon

One of the things I most like about my K3, which is my first e-book, is how long it can be used between charges. However, I've learnt to distrust the battery icon because even when the battery is almost completely without charge, it shows that it is 75% full.

Twice now the device has suddenly stopped working when I relied on the icon and thought I had plenty of charge left. Is this common to all K3s or is it just mine?

Last edited by Ekdog; 03-27-2011 at 08:35 AM.
Ekdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:05 AM   #2
MichelRenaud
Connoisseur
MichelRenaud began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
I had this happen with my DXG last weekend.
MichelRenaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:39 AM   #3
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Mine seems pretty accurate. I ignore it at my peril.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:41 PM   #4
cathie
Connoisseur
cathie doesn't littercathie doesn't littercathie doesn't litter

Device: kindle, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Mine seems pretty accurate. I ignore it at my peril.
Mine too. Do you turn the wi-fi off when you are not using it?
It should increase your battery life tremendously.
Even so, I have had my K3 since Christmas & I keep my wi-fi on most of the time and I still a generous battery life.
cathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:46 PM   #5
Ekdog
Connoisseur
Ekdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with othersEkdog plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathie View Post
Mine too. Do you turn the wi-fi off when you are not using it?
It should increase your battery life tremendously.
Even so, I have had my K3 since Christmas & I keep my wi-fi on most of the time and I still a generous battery life.
I keep my wi-fi off most of the time and I'm pleased with the battery life. The only complaint I have is that the icon is unreliable. When do you recharge yours, when the icon shows the charge is getting low or when the light turns from green to orange?
Old 03-27-2011, 04:09 PM   #6
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekdog View Post
I keep my wi-fi off most of the time and I'm pleased with the battery life. The only complaint I have is that the icon is unreliable. When do you recharge yours, when the icon shows the charge is getting low or when the light turns from green to orange?
The icon on my trusty old K1 has always been very accurate. I usually charge shortly after it is down to one bar.

Nevertheless, I would strongly urge you to call customer support. I would not be surprised if they replaced it for you. Worth a try.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:33 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I charge mine when it tells me too. Once that battery low message comes on it wont let me do anything else without nagging me every few seconds.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:57 PM   #8
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Mine is always pretty accurate.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:01 AM   #9
Ekdog
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I charge mine when it tells me too. Once that battery low message comes on it wont let me do anything else without nagging me every few seconds.
That's strange. I never get any such message.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:05 AM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have you run the battery low enough? Once the battery is very low enough it will alert you with a message telling you the battery is low and the battery gauge will have a ! in the middle of it. You can ignore it but it will pop up every so often specially if you turn WiFi on.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:34 AM   #11
Ekdog
Connoisseur

Mine just suddenly stops working--no warning or exclamation point.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:36 AM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

I've never had this problem. When I first got my Kindle I charged it for 6 hours like I was told here then I waited till the battery was depleted and the message came up to charge it and left it on the charger overnight. I did this for the first 3 charges and my battery life is great and the battery gauge is pretty reliable.

I've never had the battery just died on me. I always get the warning with the battery low message and ! on the battery gauge.

I have a cell phone who had this problem turns out the battery was bad. You might want to give Amazon a call.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:16 PM   #13
Zatakawa
Enthusiast
Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I wonder if the battery suffers much from often using the USB cable to transfer books on the device. Every time i plug it in, the battery is getting charged for 2 minutes or so.

Also, according to Wikipedia, "the rate of degradation of Lithium-ion batteries is strongly temperature-dependent; they degrade much faster if stored or used at higher temperatures.[83][85]"
Zatakawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:39 PM   #14
cathie
Connoisseur
cathie doesn't littercathie doesn't littercathie doesn't litter

Device: kindle, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekdog View Post
Usually when it's getting low. I have had it warn me a couple of time to recharge too. But then again I only have had my K3 since Christmas.
Being that I hardly ever turn off my Wireless off, and I carry it everywhere with me and every spare moment I have I use the K3. So it is constantly being turned off and on, and goes into sleep mode several times a day, I still get a substantial battery life.
Has it always done this since you got it? If so I agree with KlondikeGeoff, you should contact customer service sounds like a dodgy battery to me.
cathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:49 PM   #15
Ekdog
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathie View Post
Has it always done this since you got it? If so I agree with KlondikeGeoff, you should contact customer service sounds like a dodgy battery to me.
Yes, it has always done this.

I said in my OP that this is my first e-book, but to tell the truth, it's really my second. My first K3 developed a cracked screen after only about a month of use and Amazon had me send it back to them (all the way from Europe), which cost them a pretty penny in courier fees, and they sent me this new one. I'd feel bad, frankly, about sending this one back, too, especially since it's such a small problem.

I might be in the States this summer, so perhaps I'll tell them about it then. That's where they think I live, by the way.