Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-24-2010, 12:15 PM   #1
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Pandigital Novel: Color LCD eBook Reader that Runs Android Apps

Pandigital's Novel enters crowded reader market (Benny Evangelista, SF Cronicle)
Quote:
Pandigital's Novel has a 7-inch color touch-screen LCD display and connects to the Internet through Wi-Fi. The Novel, which runs on Google's Android platform, can also play video and other multimedia content.
Quote:
Although the Novel has more iPad-like functions than an e-reader, such as the ability to run Android apps, Finnegan stressed he was not marketing it as a full tablet or netbook computer. But the company believes it can tap a larger mass market than its e-reader competitors.
Specs from Panadigital website
Quote:
General
Screen Size 7”
Panel Digital TFT LCD
Resolution 600 x 800 pixels
Operating System Android
Dimensions 5.5 x 7.5 x .5 inches
Weight 16 oz

Supported Formats
eBooks EPUB, PDF,
Audio MP3, AAC, WAV
Images JPEG, BMP, PNG, GIF
Video MPEG4

Storage
Internal Memory 1GB
Card Reader 2-in-1
Expandable Memory SD/SDHC, MMC/MMC+ up to 32GB

User Interface
Virtual Full touchscreen / Virtual Keyboard
Tactile Volume Up/Down, Power On/Off

Connections
WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
USB Port 1x mini-USB 2.0
Headphone Jack 1x 2.5mm stereo headphone

Power
Battery Built-in rechargeable Li-ion (AC adapter included)

Compatibility
Menu Languages English, French, Spanish
Operating System Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7, Mac OS X

Compliance and Warranty
Certifications FCC, CE, UL
Compliance RoHS, WEEE, CARB
Warranty 1-year
Plus:
Access to Barnes and Nobel eBook store
Initial limited release includes: web browser, an alarm clock, calendar, a few games, a photo and movie viewer and music player with thousands of apps for android available on first firmware upgrade.)
Battery life: Up to 6 hours of reading on a single charge. (With Wifi turned off.)
ARM 11 Mobile processor
1GB internal memory (available now)
2GB internal memory (available June 2010)
Price $199

Review by Suzanne Kantra ~ Technilicious

*update*

Pandigital news release (PDF)
Quote:
Using the powerful and flexible combination of the Android operating system and an ARM 11 Mobile processor, this Pandigital Novel has a built-in, full web browser so users can quickly go online to update social media sites and check out recent news, events and weather.
Quote:
model number PRD07T10WWH7) Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price of $199.99 and is backed by a one year limited warranty. It will be available at several national retailers beginning in June.

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 05-28-2010 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Added specs - updated battery life and added news release
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:06 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Analysts said Pandigital could succeed in an increasingly crowded e-reader market because the 12-year-old firm has the advantage of an established distribution network for its digital photo frames, with 37,000 outlets in North America - including Kohl's, Macy's, Costco and Bed, Bath & Beyond - that don't just specialize in electronics.
I wonder how they will market it in these locations-kiosks? Demo stands? Hope we can play with them!
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2010, 03:10 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
It looks interesting. IIRC the last time they released a reader it wasn't so hot.

a bit more discussion here...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84516
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:14 PM   #4
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
* deleted*

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 05-24-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:17 PM   #5
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
I wonder how they will market it in these locations-kiosks? Demo stands? Hope we can play with them!
Kind of a weird way to demo stuff
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2010, 07:38 PM   #6
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
I've read where photo (I guess we should use ephoto) display makers were about to get into the ereader market. Add to that the success of the iPad and everyone wants in.

At first most aren’t going to be very good, but that’s to be expected. Look at the nook. REAL problems when it first came out. Now it's a good choice for many.

I just got my PocketBook 302. Thought that I would stop in while loaded it with books. I might buy one of these things but it isn't going to replace my 302 for normal reading.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:21 AM   #7
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Battery life is pretty anemic based on the specs.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:57 AM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Wasn't BB&B something of a launchpad for Jetbook?
If you want to reach the non-techie crowd, it's not a bad place to start.

The real interesting thing about it (after the app-supporting update) is the possibility of getting Kindle for Android on it. That would mean double-DRM commercial ebooks; B&N ePub and Amazon Mobi. That alone makes it (and the horde of Android tablets headed our way) interesting.

It also brings up a thought: how soon til we see a standalone B&N app for Android?

6 hours battery life is... suboptimal... but acceptable. Barely... It works out to an evening's worth of reading. My netbook runs about 7 hours and I rarely run out of power. The battery had better be user replaceable, though, cause that thing is going to run through a lot of recharge cycles in a year.

Nonetheless, the features (if they work) and the price are very interesting.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:19 PM   #9
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post

The real interesting thing about it (after the app-supporting update) is the possibility of getting Kindle for Android on it. That would mean double-DRM commercial ebooks; B&N ePub and Amazon Mobi. That alone makes it (and the horde of Android tablets headed our way) interesting.

It also brings up a thought: how soon til we see a standalone B&N app for Android?

6 hours battery life is... suboptimal... but acceptable. Barely... It works out to an evening's worth of reading. My netbook runs about 7 hours and I rarely run out of power. The battery had better be user replaceable, though, cause that thing is going to run through a lot of recharge cycles in a year.

Don't forget Kobo/Shortcovers for additional content. Also, the Android version of Fictionwise eReader is quite nice with a built-in dictionary and good annotation capabilities.

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:59 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
If I didn't already own a 7" LCD reader, I'd have been tempted. It's a good second reader for those times when an e-ink reader just doesn't cut it.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:27 PM   #11
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
I'm thinking of this as a kind of upgrade of my beloved but so limited ebookwise 1150.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:16 PM   #12
Avarwen
Connoisseur
Avarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of light

Device: EZ_ Reader, Nook wifi, Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post

I agree I like the fact that you will pretty much be able to buy from most online e-books stores but the battery life is meh. The price is right so I might bite. I was hoping for an e-reader with an e-ink screen that could read from all e-books stores but now with people copying the ipad that idea is most likely a dead duck.
Avarwen is offline   Reply With Quote