Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 06-16-2009, 06:03 PM   #1
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
OpticBook 3600 and Double Page

So my Opticbook started working again. I have no idea how or why. Certainly not thanks to the people at PlusTek (I develop such a nasty opinion of companies when they show such incorrigible patterns of customer interaction! My opinion of Nullriver, a mac software company, is so low that I'd put them next to people who purposely park in two spots in hell!)

Anyway, tomorrow I was going to get the software up and running on my MacMini (will be a pain in the butt, but so it goes) and was thinking of how I might go about scanning in my books.

Has anyone tried scanning two pages at a time? And if so, how'd that work out for you? I'm sure one could do it, of course, but my concern would be I'd not want my finished product to be two pages per page so I'd need some way to automate the splitting thereof.

Anyone know of a way to do that, or does Plustek's software support it?
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:27 PM   #2
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
My Brother printer/scanner goes with Paperport software, and the scan of 2 pages at a time goes pretty well, as long as I flatten the book correctly.
Paperport puts the converted text of the 2nd page after the 1rst one's.
Then I have to delete manually the page number, and the "new paragraphe" character...
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2009, 11:43 PM   #3
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Has anyone tried scanning two pages at a time?
Wouldn't that remove the greatest advantage of OpticBook - it's ability to scan a book without destroying the spine?

I suppose you could do that with an OpticBook, but then again any other scanner would work for this task - often faster, certainly cheaper, likely in higher quality. It seems to me like buing a private bus and driving it to work and back.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:55 PM   #4
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I'm kind of counting on the OpticBook's distortion and shadow removal to keep me from having to press down on the spine that hard.

But, if that is not the case then I won't do it. Just trying to drop down the time a bit.. going to try to get a few hundred books scanned this summer.

If the damn thing works that long. I really hate it when a unique product is made by a crappy company.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:59 AM   #5
301verbs
Enthusiast
301verbs began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
There was an Amazon review for the Opticbook where the guy said his seemed to die every once in a while, but if he rebooted it a few times it always came back to life. I have not had this happen yet, but I hope there's something to it.

edit: This review, actually.
301verbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2009, 09:31 AM   #6
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
I have experience with this. It works OK, as long as - 1. you have enough gutter (spacing between the spine and the printing), 2. you hold down the spine area, and 3. the book is small enough to fit. Some book are too tall and you cut off the top/bottom. The resulting pages come out as two pages stacked on top of the other, left page first. I used it on The Crystal Button.

RSE
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote