Notices

Old 03-30-2009, 10:38 AM   #1
saturngirl1701
Connoisseur
saturngirl1701 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-500
can't convert pdfs anymore

Hi,
I've been getting multiple errors ever since I upgraded to the new version (actually since 0.5.2). I have a PRS-500 and I can download PDFs but get these messages when I try to convert:

First, I get a general message that the pdfohtml.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. Then I get this:

Job: **Convert book: Little Dorrit**
**tuple**: ('ConversionError', u'')
**Traceback**:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "parallel.py", line 958, in worker
File "parallel.py", line 916, in work
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\lrf\any\c onvert_from.py", line 196, in main
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\lrf\any\c onvert_from.py", line 165, in process_file
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\lrf\pdf\c onvert_from.py", line 106, in process_file
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\lrf\pdf\c onvert_from.py", line 67, in generate_html
ConversionError

**Log**:
('ConversionError', u'')
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "parallel.py", line 958, in worker
File "parallel.py", line 916, in work
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\lrf\any\c onvert_from.py", line 196, in main
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\lrf\any\c onvert_from.py", line 165, in process_file
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\lrf\pdf\c onvert_from.py", line 106, in process_file
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\lrf\pdf\c onvert_from.py", line 67, in generate_html
ConversionError

A note: I am not that computer-savvy, so please bear that in mind. Thanks!
saturngirl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 01:33 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Hmm nothing has changed in the pdf conversion code recently, did you install/upgrade your antivirus or other software recently
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2009, 10:27 AM   #3
saturngirl1701
Connoisseur

Not that *I* recall. The USB ports died about a month back and new ports were added, and maybe they played with the sound card, though I don't think so. Other than my usual Norton, no . . . I haven't done anything. Should I uninstall and then reinstall Calibre?
Old 03-31-2009, 01:29 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Try that, though I would surprised if it made a difference
Old 03-31-2009, 08:35 PM   #5
saturngirl1701
Connoisseur

Yup, you were right. Didn't work. I don't get it.
Advert
Old 03-31-2009, 08:38 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Open a terminal and run the following command:

pdftohtml.exe

what do you see
Old 03-31-2009, 09:56 PM   #7
saturngirl1701
Connoisseur

Ah, I don't know how to open a "terminal." I'm in Windows, so . . . I do know that I keep getting an error message with that .exe, however.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:58 PM   #8
saturngirl1701
Connoisseur

If this helps . . . I went to "Run" on the Start menu and typed in what you suggested. Got back an error message saying that this/it can't be found.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:00 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Start menu -> Run in the run box type cmd and press enter a terminal will open
Old 03-31-2009, 10:02 PM   #10
saturngirl1701
Connoisseur

Ah, thanks. It says that the .exe is not recognized as an internal or external command. What? Does this mean it's not on the computer? That's weird . . .
Old 03-31-2009, 10:03 PM   #11
saturngirl1701
Connoisseur

oops, forgot to add that it's also not an operable program, or batch file.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:11 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

it means for some reason the PATH variable on your computer does not include the PATH tot he calibre installation directory. A quick google should tell you how to change your PATH variable
Old 03-31-2009, 10:14 PM   #13
saturngirl1701
Connoisseur

Uhm, okay. So I just google "change PATH variable?"
Old 03-31-2009, 10:19 PM   #14
saturngirl1701
Connoisseur

Okay, so I did that and I'm into "Environment Variables" where the solution told me to

"highlight the path variable in the Systems Variable section and click edit. Add or modify the path lines with the paths you wish the computer to access. Each different directory is separated with a semicolon as shown below.

C:\Program Files;C:\Winnt;C:\Winnt\System32"

Well, there are three path lines here: one which says CLASS PATH, the other that says Path and seems similar to the example, and then a third that says PATHEXT. I don't pretend to understand this.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:20 PM   #15
saturngirl1701
Connoisseur

Maybe I should just do a system restore to, oh, two months ago?