Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-01-2008, 09:21 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
In Praise of Fictionwise

Disclaimer: I have no affilation with them except as a customer.

I would like to take the opportunity to recognize Fictionwise as a leader in the digital format for ebooks.

This is a company that really seems to be concerned about their customers and (wonder of wonders!) about the software that fronts the purchasing of their ebooks. Buying from them - an exchange of money for services rendered - is a pleasant exercise in negotiation.

They are responsive and attentive to their customers. (However, I have yet to see them correct the spelling on a book I purchased from them, where the word "weird" is misspelled as "wierd," even though I sent them an email on this and they responded by thanking me.)

I was pleasantly surprised this morning when I added $40 to my micropay account, preparatory to buying about 12 books. They flagged this amount and offered me a $5 discount on any 1 or 2 year membership. Additionally, I recieved 15% off from the 25% already off store-wide sale celebrating their 8 years of existence (and the Sale ends today, by the way). They also offer up to $10 off an ebook if you rejoin. I imagine this is available toward the end of my one year memebership.

Again, I have no affiliation with them. I recognize, of course, that they are in the business of selling ebooks to make a profit. Yet, I have this sense, also, that they geunuinely care about the health of the industry and about thier customers.

I am proud to be a customer of Fictionwise.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:24 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Fictionwise are my favourite "general" bookstore by far. I've been using them for a couple of years now, and buy all sorts there. Excellent selection, good prices, and good service.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2008, 09:26 AM   #3
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Personally i do not want to spend the time to handle discount or memberships so every shop that is dependent on that to have a reasonable price is a bad shop. I seems here that people always mentions discounts and similar thing in connection with Fictionwise but maybe they are resonable if you do not want to bother with these kinde of things.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:58 AM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Wish they carried more .lrf books
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:10 AM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Personally i do not want to spend the time to handle discount or memberships so every shop that is dependent on that to have a reasonable price is a bad shop. I seems here that people always mentions discounts and similar thing in connection with Fictionwise but maybe they are resonable if you do not want to bother with these kinde of things.
Sign up for their weekly newsletters to be informed of all discounts. Fictionwise is a class act all the way.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2008, 10:12 AM   #6
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm also thankful for what Fictionwise has brought to the e-book market. And with their acquisition of eReader, I'm hopeful that we will see new life breathed into it as well.

There may not be any "perfect seller" out there with everyone's favorite pricing structure and format choices. But I think Fictionwise does a great job and consumer options wouldn't be the same without them.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:31 AM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

BTW, at the Fictionwise-associated site Filament Books, it claims that if you join their club for $199, you get the reader + 2 free books per month. I've not used Filament, but just reporting what they say at http://www.filamentbooks.com/ebconte...50_monthly.asp

I'm no mathemagician, but I think it comes out to about $3 per book after subtracting $139 for the device.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:55 AM   #8
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
BTW, at the Fictionwise-associated site Filament Books, it claims that if you join their club for $199, you get the reader + 2 free books per month.
When I was looking at buying the eBookwise (which is a rebranded ETI-2, same as sold by Filament), I thought this sounded like a very good deal. I still think it is a good deal, but you should take a look at their selection of books before you pay your money. Filament specializes in an unusual selection -- interesting, certainly, but a bit off the beaten track. For myself, the eBookwise was a better deal, but if Filament's selection fits your taste, it is a nice offer.

Caveat lector.

Jack

P.S. For comparison's sake, I should also mention that the $139 package at eBookwise includes a memory card, which I do not see mentioned at Filament (but I could have missed it). If it does not have the card, the comparable eBookwise unit sells for $109.

Last edited by Jack B Nimble; 06-01-2008 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Added the P.S.
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 12:56 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
I'm also thankful for what Fictionwise has brought to the e-book market. And with their acquisition of eReader, I'm hopeful that we will see new life breathed into it as well.

There may not be any "perfect seller" out there with everyone's favorite pricing structure and format choices. But I think Fictionwise does a great job and consumer options wouldn't be the same without them.
They also have a very active mailing list, on which the store's owner actively participates.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:12 PM   #10
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Even without the buywise discount, I find Fictionwise prices are still reasonable for what I buy. I also find the fact that they actually understand that the reading public does not want DRM and so make a point of offering books without it is a huge plus.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:17 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Overall they're my favorite place to buy, Books On Board being a close second.

I do wish they'd do a better job with their Genre classifications though. Sometimes various books from the same series will be listed under 3 or 4 different Genre's. Also half the time their search engine misses things, especially if they've just been added, I don't know if it's an indexing problem or what. I've brought both issues up, but get the standard thanks for letting us know response, and nothing changes. :shrugs:

Like I said overall, they're still my favorite place to buy.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:07 PM   #12
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Overall they're my favorite place to buy, Books On Board being a close second.
Yep, same here.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:08 AM   #13
beowulf573
Addict
beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-T1
Has anyone bought any of the Dell Magazines through Fictionwise? How's the LRF version? I've been thinking of getting Analog and/or Asimov through them because I don't have room for the actual magazines anymore.
beowulf573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:13 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They also have a very active mailing list, on which the store's owner actively participates.
Do you have a link to join the mailing list? I'm too lazy to go look for it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:28 AM   #15
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do you have a link to join the mailing list? I'm too lazy to go look for it.
It's a Yahoo Group and can be found here.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fictionwise