Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #31
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I have FaceTime on my iPod touch and Skype on my Galaxy Player and never use either of them.

I suppose Skype might come in handy on a vacation, so I won't rule out its usefulness completely.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:12 PM   #32
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Sweetpea, you're clearly happy with your Fire. I don't own a tablet (yet) but the differences are obvious. You downplayed a couple (no camera, no GPS). Add to those longer battery life (several hours more, even with the larger screen), more memory, and a stronger App store. Apple's iCloud approach is reasonable (and should be pretty sound in the next revision) and applies/shares to all iOS devices (phone, tablet, PC).

You can slice the value proposition any way you like. For you the Fire sounds like a better device. For others the iPad has its charms.

Oh, and a recent customer satisfaction survey gives the nod to the iPad as well (74 versus 54%, unknown polling conditions) -- http://www.reghardware.com/2012/02/0...action_survey/
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #33
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I have FaceTime on my iPod touch and Skype on my Galaxy Player and never use either of them.

I suppose Skype might come in handy on a vacation, so I won't rule out its usefulness completely.
My wife uses Skype all the time; its great if you have family that you can rarely visit because of distance. That being said, a PC works just as well; better in fact since it is easier to point the webcam and let go .

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:21 PM   #34
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Sweetpea, you're clearly happy with your Fire. I don't own a tablet (yet) but the differences are obvious. You downplayed a couple (no camera, no GPS).
iPad 1 has no camera. iPad WiFi has no GPS.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:52 PM   #35
piper28
Zealot
piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
iPad 1 has no camera. iPad WiFi has no GPS.
Well, technically the ipad wifi has a gps, it's just that obviously it's not going to be all that useful for navigating without something using downloadable map data, since you can't get data while driving. But it *does* technically have gps .

Obviously, depending on what one needs it for, different devices are going to better for one's use. I've got a project right now that we want to use some tablets for, but apple's walled approach to their file system on the devices is starting to look like it might make it not feasible for what we need. Kindle fire won't work for those either, but some of the other android tablets might be a better choice for us.
piper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #36
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper28 View Post
Well, technically the ipad wifi has a gps, it's just that obviously it's not going to be all that useful for navigating without something using downloadable map data, since you can't get data while driving. But it *does* technically have gps .
Not according to Apple's spec sheet. Only the WiFi + 3G has GPS.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #37
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Not according to Apple's spec sheet. Only the WiFi + 3G has GPS.
The Wifi iPad can use wifi location for positioning, just like the Fire can, but you have to be connected to wifi for it to work in both cases.

(Note, a standard Fire can't use Google's wifi geolocation service, but install the Mapquest app, for example, and it can show you right where you are, if you're on a wifi net in an area with decent wifi presence.)
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:11 PM   #38
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
The Wifi iPad can use wifi location for positioning, just like the Fire can, but you have to be connected to wifi for it to work in both cases.
I'd rather have GPS.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:27 PM   #39
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
Ha, that's a funny add. Pow, right in the kisser.
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:37 PM   #40
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stommer View Post
First, you have to carry 3 devices to do what the iPad does.
You are kind of missing the point. Some people have these things called families, which occasionally include kids. A family of 3 on vacation will be happier with two Fires and a K4 than with one iPad they have to pass around.

Also if 1 Fire won't do what the iPad can do, 2 or 3 won't either.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:29 PM   #41
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
You are kind of missing the point. Some people have these things called families, which occasionally include kids. A family of 3 on vacation will be happier with two Fires and a K4 than with one iPad they have to pass around.

I thought he meant a Fire, a hotspot and maybe a camera or something like that.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:58 PM   #42
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Incredible stomach
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #43
piper28
Zealot
piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post

(Note, a standard Fire can't use Google's wifi geolocation service, but install the Mapquest app, for example, and it can show you right where you are, if you're on a wifi net in an area with decent wifi presence.)
Hmm, interesting, it (an ipad wifi) got an awfully good location for me when I was sitting in my house, sure looked like a gps acquisition. Guess I'll have to do more testing, because I'm skeptical it was able to figure that out based on wifi locating. Although I have to admit, in the official specs it definitely says there isn't a gps.
piper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:16 PM   #44
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post

It turns out that some iPad owners have families too, and actually find the additional functionality of the iPad useful.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #45
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper28 View Post
Hmm, interesting, it (an ipad wifi) got an awfully good location for me when I was sitting in my house, sure looked like a gps acquisition. Guess I'll have to do more testing, because I'm skeptical it was able to figure that out based on wifi locating. Although I have to admit, in the official specs it definitely says there isn't a gps.
Try this wifi geolocation demo:
http://merged.ca/iphone/html5-geolocation

Also try turning off your ipad's wifi and see if it still figures out here you are.