Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: What is the right short form of 'electronic book'?
eBook 37 21.14%
ebook 90 51.43%
e-book 27 15.43%
none of them 3 1.71%
The blue one next to the fish 18 10.29%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-04-2013, 11:42 PM   #46
HYPE
Groupie
HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Not a fan of the term "eBook" because it looks odd, just like "eMail". I think the "first letter lowercase + second letter uppercase" combination looks great for iPhone, iTunes and so forth because the letter i is much thinner than the letter e.

I vote for ebook.
HYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:46 AM   #47
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
How about book?
Apache
Increasingly, that's what I've been calling my Kindle.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:20 AM   #48
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That's Klingon for eBook.
Ah those sneaky klingon's, they do get around. Of course they also claim Shakespeare is best in 'the original klingon' as well. So what's the equivalent word in Vulcan?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:00 AM   #49
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
It's eBook or pBook. Those are the terms to correctly use with the correct capitalization.
I use eBook myself most of the time, because I thought that was correct. I also use eInk and eReader for the same reason. And also the "e" is there to indicate something electronic, and it comes across as such even to people not really "into" these things. Like people (yes the DO exist!) outside MR.
pBook I'm not sure I have ever seen before! Here in MR I se pbook a lot though.

Edit: And as for the poll - The blue one next to the fish

Last edited by Asawi; 01-05-2013 at 04:56 AM.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:10 AM   #50
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Well, eInk is a trade name, I believe, and is possibly where the foolish construction eBook comes from. I am confident that the mid-stream capital will not survive the forces of everyday usage. Heck, the main reason I give iPad a capital letter is because I am writing this on an iPad and it does it itself. It's not like anyone doesn't understand me if I drop it.

I do feel that eBook was never a correct usage in the UK. Certainly I don't think I've ever seen it like that in print. I'd say it used to be e-book and now it's ebook, just like with email.

Last edited by DrNefario; 01-05-2013 at 05:12 AM. Reason: My iPad also misses letters every now and again
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:25 AM   #51
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I didn't realize how old this topic was! Interesting!
Article on the subject:
http://www.dailywritingtips.com/eboo...ook-or-e-book/
Old 01-05-2013, 05:46 AM   #52
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Edit: And as for the poll - The blue one next to the fish
Your wish is my command.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:56 AM   #53
Asawi
Gadgetoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Your wish is my command.
and
Old 01-05-2013, 09:29 AM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
I also use eReader And as for the poll - The blue one next to the fish
Well said about the poll. Any poll on MR that leaves out the blue one next to the fish option is invalid.

As for eReader, that is already taken by eReader format and the program to display eReader format. So if you use it to mean something else, you've got it all wrong and the meaning of what you are trying to say s just going to be silly or not what you meant to say.

I prefer eBook as it just looks better then e-book (looks awful) and ebook (ooks like a typo). Besides if we cannot have eBook, pBook, eMail, eInk, etc, then iTunes, iPad, iPod, iPhone will have to become i-tunes, i-pad, i-pod, i-phone.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #55
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I prefer eBook as it just looks better then e-book (looks awful) and ebook (ooks like a typo). Besides if we cannot have eBook, pBook, eMail, eInk, etc, then iTunes, iPad, iPod, iPhone will have to become i-tunes, i-pad, i-pod, i-phone.
But iTunes, iPad, iPod, iPhone (and iMac, which started all the iBusiness) are trademarks.

Ebook, that is, ebook, is or soon will be the preferred spelling, and not too long after, just book.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:57 AM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
But iTunes, iPad, iPod, iPhone (and iMac, which started all the iBusiness) are trademarks.

Ebook, that is, ebook, is or soon will be the preferred spelling, and not too long after, just book.
I've already proved that eBook is the preferred spelling. Why is it that nobody who is reading this thread can grasp that?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #57
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
I've already proved that eBook is the preferred spelling. Why is it that nobody who is reading this thread can grasp that?
Proper spelling in English is a consensus. I think that eBook is on the way out, and ebook on the way in. At the moment, I see it around 50:50.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:08 AM   #58
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Language changes and now allows eBook and pBook.
Yes, language changes. But it doesn't allow eBook or pBook, despite what how some market-droids use it. The way language changes is to drop hyphens, "to-day" became "today", thus e-mail becomes email and e-book becomes ebook.

The language never allows capitals in anything but a proper noun or in acronyms, it is inevitable that any attempts by market-droids to use eBook will fail, and ebook will become the standard. There's simply no reason for the capital B, and without that reason, it is certain to fade out. It's doubly certain with capitalizing the second letter of a word, this only works as the proper name of a specific product. iPod would quickly become ipod if it was a generic term instead of a specific product.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #59
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
Yes, language changes. But it doesn't allow eBook or pBook, despite what how some market-droids use it. The way language changes is to drop hyphens, "to-day" became "today", thus e-mail becomes email and e-book becomes ebook.
There's actually another stage:

1. Have two separate words.
2. Join them together with a hyphen.
3. Drop the hyphen.

If you read novels from the early 19th century onwards, you'll see "to day" becoming "to-day", and then "today". Same with lots of other words.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:20 AM   #60
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBilly View Post
I can find hundreds of examples of people using "irregardles." I'm still going to say they're wrong.

That's better than irregirdles

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote