Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-18-2008, 12:30 PM   #16
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Format C: View Post
And without a Apple eInk reader in the markety, the "coolest" is the Kindle.

I think that's the first time recorded in history where someody called the Kindle cool. I may have to sell mine now.
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:58 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef View Post
The Kindle is innovative. It made buying and delivering ebooks to a device seamless and simple. Saying the Kindle is not innovative is like saying the ipod is not innovative. I mean there were mp3 players before that.

If you are going to go that route, why PVI? Why not E Ink Corp.? I mean they actually make the stuff.
I don't think the iPod is innovative either. The thing the iPod had going for it was a company good at getting the word out there. The problem with the iPod is that Apple was able to get away with making it overpeiced and now everyone is following suit with regards to the prices. When you look at the components of an iPod, it's not even 1/2 the cost they are charging.

Yes, you are right, the award should go to E Ink Corp as they did invent the screens. Without the screens, there's be no Kindle. All these devices start with the screen which is the most important part.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:09 AM   #18
chef
Enthusiast
chef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJohnNewton View Post
E Ink invents it. PVI manufacturers it.

These kinds of lists are always going to cause debate of what should or shouldn't be included. It looks more like a list of products that made a particular product category popular rather than the first to introduce a particular technology. I guess the fun is in the resulting debate?
E Ink must be just sitting back and raking in the money. I wish I was there. "Here I invented this. Can you go mass-produce this for me?"
chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:10 AM   #19
chef
Enthusiast
chef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
PVI is in China, e-Ink is in the US. Where do you really think the manufacturing is?

Dale
I think its in the US and Taiwan. I mean E Ink must do something, right?
chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:08 PM   #20
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef View Post
I think its in the US and Taiwan. I mean E Ink must do something, right?
You are correct. The other China.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 01:08 PM   #21
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Format C: View Post
Why iPod (whose innovation was only in the DRM) and not Rio?
iPod had one advantage that I wanted: tight integration with iTunes. It's still the best feature of iPod. I haven't listened to music on my iPod in several years (no exaggeration). I listen to a dozen or so podcasts every week, and the ability to have the new ones pushed to the device when I connect it to my computer every few days is invaluable. I call that innovation (at least according to my dictionary's definition of the word). At the time, I knew of no other device had that ability out of the box, although there may very well be one now.

I feel the same way about the Kindle. The *wireless* interface with the Amazon store is pretty seamless, and I like that.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!, kindle, news