Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-24-2012, 05:08 AM   #1
nila
nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: none
Traitor

Well I've officially become a traitor.
While on a visit to the states recently I happened to go into Barnes and Nobles to see what lights they had for sale for eReaders.
I spotted the Nook with Glowlight and well, I betrayed my loyalty.
I bought one and to be honest - absolutely love it.

The backlight works brilliantly and I can now read any time I want with no problems, night reading is just as simple and just as much of a joy.

It also has buttons on either side of the device for flicking between pages and even though the device is touch, I find I am using the buttons more for changing pages as I can just rest my thumb on them when holding the device so changing pages doesn't require any movement at all, just a slight increase in pressure of my thumb.

I liked my Kobo a lot and it got me hooked on eReaders - I LOVE this however.
I'm now going to be selling my Kobo Touch.
nila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:20 AM   #2
HubbaDubbaDubba
HubbaDubbaDubba began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by nila View Post
Well I've officially become a traitor.
While on a visit to the states recently I happened to go into Barnes and Nobles to see what lights they had for sale for eReaders.
I spotted the Nook with Glowlight and well, I betrayed my loyalty.
I bought one and to be honest - absolutely love it.

The backlight works brilliantly and I can now read any time I want with no problems, night reading is just as simple and just as much of a joy.

It also has buttons on either side of the device for flicking between pages and even though the device is touch, I find I am using the buttons more for changing pages as I can just rest my thumb on them when holding the device so changing pages doesn't require any movement at all, just a slight increase in pressure of my thumb.

I liked my Kobo a lot and it got me hooked on eReaders - I LOVE this however.
I'm now going to be selling my Kobo Touch.
To the pitchforks!

But now, seriously, I'd love the glowlight feature in a Kobo. I really don't miss physical buttons (hell, I just use swipes, not even taps, to turn pages).
HubbaDubbaDubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2012, 07:41 AM   #3
mapline
Enthusiast
mapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kobo Touch
Heard new products in September! Perhaps glowlight
mapline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:04 AM   #4
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Amazon is going to have a press conference on September 6 and it is anticipated that Amazon will announce their front lit version of the Kindle. I haven't seen any rumors of a front lit Kobo. Although I would really like to see one, I don't have that much faith in Kobo's ability to get a new product to market at the moment.
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:23 AM   #5
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
In the comparison pics I've seen the glowlight Nook has very noticeably lower contrast vs. the other eink readers.

Although my dad has one and likes it too so who knows...
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2012, 10:40 AM   #6
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TongueTied View Post
Although I would really like to see one, I don't have that much faith in Kobo's ability to get a new product to market at the moment.
Kobo has nice hardware, it's the software they have a problem with.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:24 PM   #7
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I almost bought a Nook Glowlight. I am glad I wait. Some recent reviews still complained 'hot spot', 'light hole' at BN website. It seemed some kinks have not been totally worked out yet. Hopefully every brand will have their frontlighted versions soon.
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:32 AM   #8
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Yes, the "hotspot" seems to be a pretty significant issue at the moment and is the primary reason I'm not interested in the GlowLight. Otherwise, I love the design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Kobo has nice hardware, it's the software they have a problem with.
To be fair, Nook readers have their share of bugs, and Barnes & Noble rolls out updates far less frequently -- which is probably a good thing since one of the bugs causes the bookshelves to get erased whenever the firmware is updated!
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote