Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-01-2010, 11:12 PM   #1
ruli02
ruli02 began at the beginning.

Device: sony
Unhappy Lost my library twice!! Help?

For the second time I have lost all books and metadata edits, etc from calibre library. Last time happened when I accidentally turned off external drive where I keep all ebooks. I ended adding all books to library again, which took me hours, but i also lost all the edits. Got to think all my work is in a file somewhere. any tips on how to recover next time and avoid starting from scratch?
thanks!
ruli02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:31 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, ruli02.

Hopefully someone will step in soon with help.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2010, 01:31 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
just backup your calibre library folder. b
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:31 AM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruli02 View Post
any tips on how to recover next time and avoid starting from scratch?
thanks!
Have you looked at the drive where you put the calibre library? If a drive letter has changed, you may just need to tell calibre about that change. Your books and a file called metadata.db should be in a single folder. If you can find that folder, just tell calibre where it is (use the options screen or the wizard in the arrow to right of the options button).
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:00 AM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Or.........you could backup using the free "dropbox" account.

www.dropbox.com
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2010, 10:00 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Have you looked at the drive where you put the calibre library? If a drive letter has changed, you may just need to tell calibre about that change. Your books and a file called metadata.db should be in a single folder. If you can find that folder, just tell calibre where it is (use the options screen or the wizard in the arrow to right of the options button).
Windows allows you to force/reserve the drive letter on a detachable storage device. Pick a letter that normally won't get used; Say "L" for Library
Do not change the letter of the installed system volumes (A-C: )

Also "Label" the drive (partition) which helps spot a Letter assignment problem. I even forced the Letter and labeled the drives (SD card) in my e-reader.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote