Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-20-2014, 03:22 AM   #1
DrDoug
DrDoug began at the beginning.

Device: nonr
Random Blank Line Feeds on iPhone 4

I'm trying this again, since my netbook deleted the post I finished but had yet to post.

I am getting random blank line feeds in an essentially finished e-book I wrote in MS Word, converted to HTML with Calibre, and edited in Sigil. The e-book is clean and previously looked good on an iPad, which I do not currently have available. After revising some of the text today in Sigil, I loaded it into the latest Kindle Previewer for PC to generate a Mobi file. It looks fine in the latest Kindle for PC viewer and in the Kindle Previewer. I loaded the e-book as an ePub from Sigil into iTunes and then into iBooks on my iPhone 4.

On the iPhone, random blank lines appear within some of the paragraphs and those blank lines change location, depending on the font size selected in iBooks. This does not occur in the Kindle software on the PC. Since the blank lines appear to have no relation to anything other than font size on the iPhone, I'm looking at this as a bug in iBooks on the iPhone 4 with iOS 7.1, but it could be something generated by Sigil. Does anybody have any ideas on this or any suggestions where else to look for help?
DrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:29 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoug View Post
I'm trying this again, since my netbook deleted the post I finished but had yet to post.

I am getting random blank line feeds in an essentially finished e-book I wrote in MS Word, converted to HTML with Calibre, and edited in Sigil. The e-book is clean and previously looked good on an iPad, which I do not currently have available. After revising some of the text today in Sigil, I loaded it into the latest Kindle Previewer for PC to generate a Mobi file. It looks fine in the latest Kindle for PC viewer and in the Kindle Previewer. I loaded the e-book as an ePub from Sigil into iTunes and then into iBooks on my iPhone 4.

On the iPhone, random blank lines appear within some of the paragraphs and those blank lines change location, depending on the font size selected in iBooks. This does not occur in the Kindle software on the PC. Since the blank lines appear to have no relation to anything other than font size on the iPhone, I'm looking at this as a bug in iBooks on the iPhone 4 with iOS 7.1, but it could be something generated by Sigil. Does anybody have any ideas on this or any suggestions where else to look for help?
Look at the code preceding the blank lines.
Trailing Blanks or a BR before the /p
Just a BR or space inside the P tags

Weird margin,padding or line-height settings

something else that only a close examination will show
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:18 AM   #3
DrDoug
DrDoug began at the beginning.

Device: nonr
I seem to have isolated the problem and answered by own question, and it apparently has nothing to do with the HTML in the ePub. After getting home, I looked at the code in a previous version and the latest version of the e-book. The code is clean in both. However, I forgot about my iPod Touch with iOS 5.1.1 and iBooks 3.1.1. The previous version of the e-book was on it from a year ago and it displayed as it should without the random blank lines. I then loaded the latest version of the ePub e-book onto the iPod Touch tonight. It displayed fine. There were no random blank lines. Leads me to believe there is a bug in iBooks version 3.2 from iOS 7.1 or I need to upgrade Sigil and re-encode the e-book for iOS, even though the ePub converts fine to Mobi via Kindle Previewer. I have submitted a bug report to Apple.
DrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:17 AM   #4
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I have never seen this behavior on my iPhone 4S running IOS 7.1 or whatever is the latest version of the OS. It might have something to do with Calibre. My epubs are generated by opening html (often from a Word doc, which is run through word2cleanhtml dot com online) in Sigil.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blank line, ibooks, iphone 4, sigil 0.7