Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 11:31 AM   #16
daveconifer
Zealot
daveconifer rocks like Gibraltar!daveconifer rocks like Gibraltar!daveconifer rocks like Gibraltar!daveconifer rocks like Gibraltar!daveconifer rocks like Gibraltar!daveconifer rocks like Gibraltar!daveconifer rocks like Gibraltar!daveconifer rocks like Gibraltar!daveconifer rocks like Gibraltar!daveconifer rocks like Gibraltar!daveconifer rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Gave you a mention on my blog yesterday:

http://booksontheknob.blogspot.com/2...es-part-2.html
Wow, Karen, thanks so much! I hope you won't think I'm being a wiseapple when I say that I've been waiting and hoping to get on there. That also explains a bump in downloads that I couldn't understand. Thanks!

I'm glad you mentioned a possible price increase (from zero). I'm currently tuning up hard copy versions of my wrestling books (Throwback and FireHouse) and I've incurred some minor expenses in getting ready to do some book signings at wrestling tournaments this weekend. So I'm probably going back to 99 cents in the near future.

But not yet, bargain hunters...
Old 12-26-2009, 01:03 PM   #17
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Device: DR1000S, ILIAD2, Nokia n900, Kindle for PC, Astak EZReader Pro
Thanks Dave, much appreciated.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:05 PM   #18
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Oh, you may want to think about adding a link to your Smashwords page in your sig. It would make it easier to find and it lets people know you're an author.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:33 PM   #19
daveconifer
Zealot
daveconifer rocks like Gibraltar!daveconifer rocks like Gibraltar!daveconifer rocks like Gibraltar!daveconifer rocks like Gibraltar!daveconifer rocks like Gibraltar!daveconifer rocks like Gibraltar!daveconifer rocks like Gibraltar!daveconifer rocks like Gibraltar!daveconifer rocks like Gibraltar!daveconifer rocks like Gibraltar!daveconifer rocks like Gibraltar!

Thanks Animedude. I'm testing my new signature here...
Old 12-26-2009, 02:36 PM   #20
animedude01
Addict

Looks good!
Old 12-28-2009, 08:35 AM   #21
daveconifer
Zealot

Hi MobileReaders,

I just set my prices back to 99 cents but with a coupon they are still free for members of this board. Down in my signature is a list of the books along with the 100% off coupon number.

I'm going to be promoting my high school wrestling novels and I have to make a little dough to offset some minor expenses (so this can remain a cost-free hobby).

Thanks!

...dave conifer
Old 12-29-2009, 05:10 PM   #22
daveconifer
Zealot

Interesting phenomenon. When it's free free, lots of downloads. When it's free with coupon, a lot fewer downloads. Either people hate the hassle of entering the coupon or most of the people interested in these already checked them out.

I'm still learning this marketing stuff!
Old 12-29-2009, 06:09 PM   #23
animedude01
Addict

Probably a bit of both.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:57 AM   #24
daveconifer
Zealot

I'm not sure but I think readers have to register with Smashwords to use the coupons, which is much more painful than when the books were just plain free. I only switched to the coupons so that these "sales" could be counted for the best seller list. Ugh, decisions, decisions!
Old 12-31-2009, 10:53 AM   #25
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
They do. But, there is a huge advantage to doing so - Smashwords will then maintain the book in your library, even if the author pulls it from the store later on (has happened to at least one of my books, as the author received a contract and pulled them from there and the Kindle store). Also, once purchased, you can access the book for any format or updates, no matter what the author does to pricing; for a "free" book, if the author later adds a price, you can't redownload it, as you don't "own" it, even if you did "add it to your library", that doesn't make it yours.

I MUCH prefer either Set Your Own pricing or a coupon, rather than having the book just be "free".
Old 12-31-2009, 01:47 PM   #26
daveconifer
Zealot

Yeah, those are great features. The only problem (for me) is that I'm currently pushing my two novels about high school wrestlers since it's the middle of wrestling season. The people in that community just aren't eBook readers and are wary about "this Smash word contraption." They were okay when they didn't have to sign up (I assume they just downloaded .pdf or .html versions) but now that they have to jump through the hoops they seem to be shying away.

Oh well. I guess I could always switch those two books back to pure free.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:46 PM   #27
Willie Ekaslike
Willie Ekaslike began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PSR-505
Thanks for the Coupons Dave, I missed these when they were free. No problem having to signing up on Smashwords.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:54 PM   #28
daveconifer
Zealot

No problemo, Willie!
Old 01-02-2010, 04:35 AM   #29
lazyartist
lazyartist began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad is my only Computer :)
OOOoo, thank you
Old 01-04-2010, 10:15 AM   #30
daveconifer
Zealot

All My Books are Free! FOR A FEW MORE HOURS!

No sweat, Lazy! It's kind of cool to see that people are reading my stuff. I'm grateful and honored, really, that anybody spends their precious time on it...

Last edited by daveconifer; 01-14-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Closed Thread