Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-28-2008, 03:43 PM   #1
mflood
Enthusiast
mflood began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Yet another creation question: Is it possible to split files?

I have a book of short stories that I'd like to divide into individual books for easier access. The book is currently in .lit format, though I can of course convert to another format if it's easier to start from there.

What might be the best way to go about doing this? Again, I'm looking to create individual .lrf files for each of the short stories found in a longer compilation volume.

Thanks!
mflood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 03:48 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If the LIT has DRM, see other threads on what to use to remove the DRM. If not, you are ready to go.

You can load the LIT into Book Designer and then delete the bits around each story and keep doing this till you have all the stories separated and as seperate LRF. of you can explode the LIT into it's component parts and edit the HTML.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2008, 03:53 PM   #3
mflood
Enthusiast

Neat, so Book Designer will definitely be able to handle that then? Excellent. That's not one I've had to download before, but it definitely sounds to be worth it. It's funny that you mention the html thing, because that was actually the first thought I had. Y'know, converting to html and then messing with the code underneath. This sounds a lot easier though. Not having used Book Designer before I don't completely understand what you mean by "delete the bits around each story," but I consider myself a reasonably intelligent human being (most of the time) and I'm sure I can figure it out. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I appreciate it.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:59 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Basically, what he meant was, when you make the first story, delete everything except the first story and generate the LRF.

For the second story, delete everything except the second story and generate the LRF.

It's pretty manual, but it'll work.

Since you're new to it, I'd suggest you have a look at the wiki entry on BookDesigner, it'll save you some cranium/wall impact moments.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:17 PM   #5
mflood
Enthusiast

Ah, ok. Thanks! And you're right that it does sound like some manual work, but there really aren't all that many short stories so it shouldn't take too long. The bigger issue is that they really aren't that short, and the full volume is so long that it takes a while to jump to the right spot when reading. Y'all have given me what sounds like the perfect solution though, and I should be all set.

*tips hat to you both*
Advert
Old 02-28-2008, 04:39 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Assuming that when you convert the lit file into HTML each story is in a separate file you can just run html2lrf of each file. Much faster than using BD.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote