Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-21-2012, 05:49 AM   #1
cidrolin
Enthusiast
cidrolin began at the beginning.

Device: none
A kind of "air delivery" for ereader with wifi

I've recently bought a kobo glo whitch is a honest device but cannot receive books by wifi (nor 3G). I want to plug seldom as possible my ereader to a computer for numerous (and maybe personnal) reasons.

Actually, it can receive books by wifi (because there is a web browser and it can download a file within a web page) :
1. Upload your file to the web
2. Use the web browser embedded in the kobo, download the file.

It seems very simple, but it's a little bit cumbersome :
How upload a file to the web with a clickable link ? There are numerous solutions "by hand", but I want something easy, something as simple as sending an email. And I don't wan't type any adress in the web browser of the reader (to boring), nor browse the web, nothing. I want to open the web browser anc click only once. To be clear, my solution is not technically new, it's only a way to simply send books by email to the reader.

The method explained here should work with every reader able to download from a web browser a file. So Kobo, Sony reader and Booken for sure.

1. Get a dropbox account. https://www.dropbox.com/

2. Connect your dropbox account with http://www.sendtodropbox.com/. You get an email adress (we'll assume it's toto4512@sendtodropbox.com)

Now, all files you send by mail to toto4512@sendtodropbox.com will automatically appear in your "Attachments" folder of your dropbox account.

3. Go to https://www.dropbox.com/home/, just select the "Attachments" folder and click "Share the link". A new web page is opened, with a white box in the middle. Close the box. The web page you are seeing is a public web page, whitch lists the content of your Attachements folder. Copy the web address into the clipboard. For example : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/64gegtegegef284/64dfsdfdf.

4. Go to http://tinyurl.com/. Shorten the address. For example : tinyurl.com/books (I'm sure this particuliar address is already used !) or tinyurl.com/Qtg45h.

5. In you embedded web browser, set tinyurl.com/books as your home page (or as a bookmark)

How it's works ?

1. Send an email from any computer, smartphone or software (Calibre for instance) or whatever with the book to toto4512@sendtodropbox.com
2. Open your embedded web browser, and click on the book you want to import.

Et voilà !

Tips.
1. You can use your own adress to transfer these "books-email" to toto4512@sendtodropbox.com (obviously with a filter). I'ts easy to remember youradress@yourprovider.com than toto4512@sendtodropbox.com. And I presume you already know your email adress.
2. You can use the software http://caspian.dotconf.net/menu/Software/SendEmail/ to send email from a command line. It's always useful.
3.That's the main idea, but there are a lot different possibilities like http://www.labnol.org/internet/send-...e-drive/21236/.

I hope this was helpful.
cidrolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:47 PM   #2
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you mean to load a book from your computer through Wi-fi, I don't think any device out there can do it. However I admit that it would be nice if it were possible (Without using a drop-box type of service)
The Wi-fi was implemented to purchase books only, as well as upgrading the reader obviously.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
Tacty
Zealot
Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One/Kobo Touch/iPad3
it s a shame, because every time you plug it into pc it is starting to charge battery which i would like to avoid sometimes...
Tacty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacty View Post
it s a shame, because every time you plug it into pc it is starting to charge battery which i would like to avoid sometimes...
Any particular reason for this? The device uses a Li-Ion battery. Partial discharge/recharges have no bad effects on Li-Ion batteries, so that isn't a problem.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
If you use Calibre there is a built-in web server which hosts your books (as long as your PC is on, of course.) This via the brower is my primary method to access my library with my Touch. Its enabled under 'sharing over the net'.

If you want that to connect to the world that depends more on if your ISP's terms of service, port routing, your local network configuration, IP address, etc. For example I have static IP and an ISP that allows me to run legal, non-commercial servers so all it takes for me is setting up my home router to pass through http and, viola!, my electronic bookcase on the world wide web.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2012, 05:58 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I wonder if a device like the Seagate Satellite Mobile Wireless Storage could be used here.

It does have a WiFi interface so I wonder whether one could transfer ePubs from it to a WiFi based Kobo reader via it's web interface and the Kobo's web browser?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:39 AM   #7
cidrolin
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by artifact View Post
If you use Calibre there is a built-in web server which hosts your books (as long as your PC is on, of course.) This via the brower is my primary method to access my library with my Touch. Its enabled under 'sharing over the net'.
That's the point. I know this (Calibre is a masterpiece of software), but I don't want to run my PC all time (nor the time needed to pick up a book in the Kobo), and also I don't want to have long list of books to choose in the crappy browser of Kobo.

I want to select / find a book on my computer (or a public computer, or a smartphone), and send it by email, with one (or maybe a little bit more) click. In fact, I want to use my ebook reader as a reader, and seldom as possible as a computer / browser.

But that's only my 2 cents, and only a piece of "tips and tricks" for others !
Old 11-22-2012, 04:51 AM   #8
cidrolin
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
If you mean to load a book from your computer through Wi-fi, I don't think any device out there can do it.
I thought the kindle is able to.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:25 AM   #9
Tacty
Zealot
Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Any particular reason for this? The device uses a Li-Ion battery. Partial discharge/recharges have no bad effects on Li-Ion batteries, so that isn't a problem.
maybe i'm wrong, but every start of charging, even for couple of minutes, is counting like one charging cycle?
Old 11-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #10
Terry Brown
Enthusiast
Terry Brown began at the beginning.

Device: M1 Max Mac Studio, iPad Pro 2018 12.9, iPhone 7
Yes, the Kindle does this and it is one feature I really miss on Kobo. My Kindle has an email address (e.g. me@free.kindle.com, free meaning use wifi, which is free delivery, as opposed to using a kindle's 3g connection which may cost you money for the transfer). If I send email to my Kindle email address and attach a .mobi file to that email, it will magically appear on my Kindle the next time the Kindle is attached to WiFi. This is also the method used to save web pages to the Kindle using Instapaper, for example.

This is a great feature, and Kobo needs it.
Terry Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
maybe i'm wrong, but every start of charging, even for couple of minutes, is counting like one charging cycle?
You're wrong - it isn't.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:52 PM   #12
Tacty
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You're wrong - it isn't.
yes and no...if you have charged from 50% to 100% battery it's half a cycle and so on...
Old 11-22-2012, 03:07 PM   #13
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
yes and no...if you have charged from 50% to 100% battery it's half a cycle and so on...
So it's not one charging cycle every time you plug it in then.
frankieGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #14
Tacty
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieGom View Post
So it's not one charging cycle every time you plug it in then.
no...if you spend half an hour moving books it could be i don't know 1/5 of a cycle, or 1/3 of a cycle, and you can do the math for every situation...one cycle is counting only as charging battery from 0% to 100%

Last edited by Tacty; 11-22-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:16 PM   #15
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo, Sony PRS-T1
Oh, alright then so it's not really an issue...
frankieGom is offline   Reply With Quote