Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-29-2010, 11:48 PM   #1
Nahoj
Nahoj began at the beginning.

Device: Ipod Ttouch and Kindle
Anyone have a file for organizing books on the kindle?

Hey: anybody know of a file for organizing books on the kindle?

Thanks!!
Nahoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:11 AM   #2
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
There are two or three programs that can help place books into collections outside of using the Collections aspect on the kindle itself. Windows Collection Manager is one, another uses Calibre info and the third, I believe uses your folder structure.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 01:53 AM   #3
Alison C
Enthusiast
Alison C shares his or her toysAlison C shares his or her toysAlison C shares his or her toysAlison C shares his or her toysAlison C shares his or her toysAlison C shares his or her toysAlison C shares his or her toysAlison C shares his or her toysAlison C shares his or her toysAlison C shares his or her toysAlison C shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite wifi
I'm a new Kindle owner, and just trying to get my head round the organisation issue. I know from reading this forum for a few months that there's a pretty general feeling that the Kindle's own collections system is a bit rubbish. But I'd be very grateful if some kind person could explain to me, please, in simple language for a techno-numpty:

(a) what the problem is with the Kindle approach;

(b) what Calibre and the other organisation options do;

(c) what I should do!

All I want to be able to do is find books simply and quickly, but it's a bit of a chicken and egg: I know it would make sense to sort out the organisation issue before I get too many books, but at the moment I don't really know enough about how I'll want to use the information. I looked at the Calibre website and got scared by the noise of information whizzing above my head, so I'm hoping one of the many knowledgeable and helpful people here will take pity on me. Thank you!

Alison
Alison C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:12 AM   #4
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison C View Post
Hi Alison,

I am also a newbie to Kindle, but I already have had issues w/ Kindle's "Collections" approach.

1) It is painstakingly slow, for those who have a lot of books to organize, as each book has to entered into the collection one at a time. And although you can put that same book in multiple collections, you have to scroll through all of them which again cane be very slow if you use a lot of different collections.

2) Collections are listed in "Most Recent" order in respect to creation and then use. I find this irritating because I like to have things in alphabetical order.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:18 AM   #5
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Hi Alison,

I am also a newbie to Kindle, but I already have had issues w/ Kindle's "Collections" approach.

1) It is painstakingly slow, for those who have a lot of books to organize, as each book has to entered into the collection one at a time. And although you can put that same book in multiple collections, you have to scroll through all of them which again cane be very slow if you use a lot of different collections.

2) Collections are listed in "Most Recent" order in respect to creation and then use. I find this irritating because I like to have things in alphabetical order.
There are some options.
Think well before you make collections.
To view your collections in alphabetical order, you have to name them with a symbol first, for example:

_ A. Novel A-L
_ A. Novel M-Z
_ B. Reading
_ C. Literature
Important is to add a space after the underscore or other symbol.
The Kindle will sort alphabetically if you let the books shown by title = gives you the collections in alphabetical order and then your books.(top of the screen).
The Kindle will also sort alphabetically within the name you gave the collection.
And remember there's also the possibility of adding/removing a whole page when making a collection.
Good luck; its doable and once done, you're good for ever.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 04:24 AM   #6
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you very much for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
And remember there's also the possibility of adding/removing a whole page when making a collection.
What exactly do you mean by adding/removing a whole page?
Old 12-30-2010, 04:34 AM   #7
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you very much for the suggestion.

What exactly do you mean by adding/removing a whole page?
When you're inside a collection--menu--add/remove items-----enter---gives you the list of books that needs to be organized----menu---Add all items on this page......enter-------and go on to the next page........
Old 12-30-2010, 06:12 AM   #8
desertblues
Home for the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison C View Post
I'm a new Kindle owner, and just trying to get my head round the organisation issue. I know from reading this forum for a few months that there's a pretty general feeling that the Kindle's own collections system is a bit rubbish. But I'd be very grateful if some kind person could explain to me, please, in simple language for a techno-numpty:

(b) what Calibre and the other organisation options do;

(c) what I should do!

All I want to be able to do is find books simply and quickly, but it's a bit of a chicken and egg: I know it would make sense to sort out the organisation issue before I get too many books, but at the moment I don't really know
enough about how I'll want to use the information. I looked at the Calibre
website and got scared by the noise of information whizzing above my head,
so I'm hoping one of the many knowledgeable and helpful people here will take pity on me. Thank you!

Alison
Don't be scared of Calibre. Just download and go with the welcome wizard. It's really very easy to use. You won't have to do much complicated stuff. Try it, it's very handy to have your books organised in a private library like this. Also there's a Calibreforum on MR.
Good luck
Old 12-30-2010, 03:26 PM   #9
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
When you're inside a collection--menu--add/remove items-----enter---gives you the list of books that needs to be organized----menu---Add all items on this page......enter-------and go on to the next page........
Oh!?! I had no idea. thank you, again!
Old 12-30-2010, 03:51 PM   #10
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Oh!?! I had no idea. thank you, again!
It's detailed in the User's Guide.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote