Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 06-27-2010, 09:02 PM   #1
kgn
Groupie
kgn has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Pocketbook 302
16,000 pages on one charge?

I have a new PB302. I have been out camping with it for the last week, and I have been VERY impressed with it! Very nice - I even like using it more than a treebook. The touch screen is very good. No glare at all - very readable.

Anyway, since I was miles from nowhere, I was concerned about the battery charge lasting long enough. I noticed on the box the 302 came in that it says - in very large print "16,000 pages on one battery charge". The page count depends on the font size you use of course - I notice with my font that most books are around 800-1000 'pages'. Ok - that gives me at most around 16 books.

So - went camping - and while I did not get down to a flat battery (almost), I estimate I read 5 books on the battery - ie about 5,000 pages. I might have got one more book - ie around 6,000 pages.

This is not even close to the claim that PocketBook makes for the PB302. It is not even close to the normal '8,000 pages' that is claimed for most ereaders. Is this experience common - or is this unusual? If I have a problem with my battery, I would like to know.

I have the clock only updating when I turn a page - and I update on every page. I do not see any other way of minimizing battery usage. I never turn the unit off though - would that make a difference??
kgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:51 PM   #2
Ulli
(-:
Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.

Device: PocketBook 360°,302
When you use fw 15.2 for the 302 you can set up the number of pages, after that the device will update the page.

It makes difference, when you dont shut down your PB. If you know, that you have the 302 not in use for a longer time, shut it down.

Basically question is if you charged the power 12h before your first use?
Didnt you do anything else, than reading on your PB? (navigate to books, using any connection, doing anything else on the display)
I guess you used the touchscreen (this costs some power also)

The given number of around 8000-16000 pages is an ideal value, but 5000 pages is really to less!
Ulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:39 AM   #3
kgn
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulli View Post
When you use fw 15.2 for the 302 you can set up the number of pages, after that the device will update the page.
Sure - but the version I got - and the version the box was marked for was the old version of the firmware. 15.2 has only just been released, of course. I dare say the boxes were made months ago. Perhaps the newer firmware uses up more power?

Quote:
It makes difference, when you dont shut down your PB. If you know, that you have the 302 not in use for a longer time, shut it down.
Perhaps this is the problem? I don't think it would have made all that much difference here - I read from around 6am to midnight or later - turning it off would not have helped all that much, I am thinking.

Quote:
Basically question is if you charged the power 12h before your first use?
Nope - only 'til the meter on the 302 said it was fully charged. You cannot 'overcharge' batteries. Well - not in the sense that charging for longer will give them more life. Once a battery is fully charged, that is it. Perhaps the meter on the 302 is not all that accurate? This could be true - it does seem to recharge very quickly. Perhaps in under an hour even. I was quite surprised at how fast it was.

Quote:
Didnt you do anything else, than reading on your PB? (navigate to books, using any connection, doing anything else on the display)
I read probably 18 hours a day. I used both the touchscreen and the buttons. Depended on how I was holding it at the time. Mostly the touch screen I guess, as the buttons are somewhat awkward to use.

Quote:
The given number of around 8000-16000 pages is an ideal value, but 5000 pages is really to less!
It does NOT say 8-16000. It very plainly says, and I quote "16,000 pages on one battery charge". No caveats - no estimates - no confusion. 16,000. It does not say - 'up to 16,000 on a good day'.

This is a touchscreen unit - if we are not meant to use the touchscreen to get this sort of battery life, then I would hope that somewhere it would say that. I personally don't see that using the touchscreen (as opposed to the buttons) would use up any more power.

I was also out camping - so could not use wireless even if I wanted to! But no - since there is no working browser, I have turned off the wireless feature. Since there is no real use for bluetooth either, that is also turned off.

I only used the menus when I wanted to find the next book to read.

So - I think I read as a fairly typical user - reading perhaps longer than would normally be the case at one time - but doing as a normal reader would. Still I would have expected around even half of what is claimed. I would be happy with 8,000 (the industry standard, it seems).

I am thinking that the battery level meter on the unit is the problem. It can stay at full all day, then very quickly (relatively) drop by 2 bars. It also (by the meter) recharges VERY quickly.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:58 AM   #4
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgn View Post
Sure - but the version I got - and the version the box was marked for was the old version of the firmware. 15.2 has only just been released, of course. I dare say the boxes were made months ago. Perhaps the newer firmware uses up more power?

Perhaps this is the problem? I don't think it would have made all that much difference here - I read from around 6am to midnight or later - turning it off would not have helped all that much, I am thinking.

Nope - only 'til the meter on the 302 said it was fully charged. You cannot 'overcharge' batteries. Well - not in the sense that charging for longer will give them more life. Once a battery is fully charged, that is it. Perhaps the meter on the 302 is not all that accurate? This could be true - it does seem to recharge very quickly. Perhaps in under an hour even. I was quite surprised at how fast it was.

I read probably 18 hours a day. I used both the touchscreen and the buttons. Depended on how I was holding it at the time. Mostly the touch screen I guess, as the buttons are somewhat awkward to use.

It does NOT say 8-16000. It very plainly says, and I quote "16,000 pages on one battery charge". No caveats - no estimates - no confusion. 16,000. It does not say - 'up to 16,000 on a good day'.

This is a touchscreen unit - if we are not meant to use the touchscreen to get this sort of battery life, then I would hope that somewhere it would say that. I personally don't see that using the touchscreen (as opposed to the buttons) would use up any more power.

I was also out camping - so could not use wireless even if I wanted to! But no - since there is no working browser, I have turned off the wireless feature. Since there is no real use for bluetooth either, that is also turned off.

I only used the menus when I wanted to find the next book to read.

So - I think I read as a fairly typical user - reading perhaps longer than would normally be the case at one time - but doing as a normal reader would. Still I would have expected around even half of what is claimed. I would be happy with 8,000 (the industry standard, it seems).

I am thinking that the battery level meter on the unit is the problem. It can stay at full all day, then very quickly (relatively) drop by 2 bars. It also (by the meter) recharges VERY quickly.
Well, I have been using my 302 extensively for over two weeks now (sorry, didn't count the page turns), but the battery is only down one bar. I do turn off the device when not reading.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:23 AM   #5
kaas
Muncher of ebooks
kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Pocketbook 360
Please also consider that the 16.000 pageturns are a fictional value. It is a "standard" established by PVI and actually means IF your reader is already switched on and IF you have a 16.000 page long document ALREADY OPEN and IF you continously press the page forward button without letting go of it, you should get 16.000 page turns ( at lab temperature!).
So please consider the page turn claim a moot point and just think of it as a long battery life...

cheers,
kaas

p.s.: navigating in the ebook reader, opening a book, paginating, etc ... all cost electricity and are not considered for page turn claims!
kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:32 AM   #6
Ulli
(-:
Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.

Device: PocketBook 360°,302
Quote:
Every electrical device using a battery, should be on charged for min 8h before the first use (Youll find that in (nearly) all manuals). Its true that you cant overcharge batteries but its also true that you can "damage" them or do something that they wont supply all the power for the time they are built for.
Ulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:20 AM   #7
kgn
Groupie

Quote:
Every electrical device using a battery, should be on charged for min 8h before the first use (Youll find that in (nearly) all manuals). Its true that you cant overcharge batteries but its also true that you can "damage" them or do something that they wont supply all the power for the time they are built for.
I disagree with this. I know that a lot of manuals state this - but as far as I can tell, there is no technical reason for an extended 'first charge'. There is no difference between the first charge and the 10th as far as the battery is concerned. It has nothing to do with extending battery life or anything.

There may be an issue with the voltage sensing/software calibration - in that it may take some time for the software to determine the full charge voltage. Since these batteries are basically wired in, I doubt that would be a problem here. Why would the software need to calibrate? However - this might be a problem on my system as the gauge says it is fully charged, when it does not seem to be. Perhaps a few more charge/discharge cycles will fix that.

Li-Ion batteries are pretty good - but there are a few issues with them. They should not be left at full charge - it severely decreases their expected life. Also - they have a limited (and fixed) number of cycles. I have been 'topping up' my PB302 every few days - perhaps I should wait until it is more discharged before I apply the charger?
Old 06-28-2010, 04:28 AM   #8
kgn
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaas View Post
Please also consider that the 16.000 pageturns are a fictional value.
I thought as much. It is much like Hifi/speaker power claims. I was not so naive as to expect 16,000 page turns simply because the Pocketbook company proudly boasts such a claim in bold print on the front of the 302 box! I did not think it too much to expect HALF of what they claim though. Still - time well tell a bit more on this one.

Mind you - I am not unhappy with the battery life - it is very good.

I am perhaps a bit more annoyed with the Wifi and Bluetooth claims. But that is for another thread...
Old 06-28-2010, 04:33 AM   #9
kgn
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Well, I have been using my 302 extensively for over two weeks now (sorry, didn't count the page turns), but the battery is only down one bar. I do turn off the device when not reading.
Great - this is the sort of feedback I was looking for.

I have seen my 302 go from totally full in the morning, to one bar down by 4pm, then 2 bars down by 9pm. I am guessing at the times, but something like that.

In three days I have gone from showing fully charged to only 1 bar showing.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:38 AM   #10
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgn View Post
Great - this is the sort of feedback I was looking for.

I have seen my 302 go from totally full in the morning, to one bar down by 4pm, then 2 bars down by 9pm. I am guessing at the times, but something like that.

In three days I have gone from showing fully charged to only 1 bar showing.
Yes, same here. You're really way better of when you're shutting down your device when not used for reading.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:06 AM   #11
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Pocketbook Color 633
As compared to my Cybook Opus, battery life of the PB302 (which should be twice) is very, very poor. I'm almost certain there is battery leaking caused by the software.
Moreover under 70% charge the device becomes unstable.
adbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:28 PM   #12
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adbosch View Post
As compared to my Cybook Opus, battery life of the PB302 (which should be twice) is very, very poor. I'm almost certain there is battery leaking caused by the software.
Moreover under 70% charge the device becomes unstable.
No, battery life on the 302 is way better than on the Opus. I could prove that anytime. The 302 battery is 1600 MHz while the Opus is 1000. Now, about the leaking: It might well be that the new firmware really is causing some battery leaking (we are checking this). I recommend to always shut off your 302 when not reading and your 302 will run forever on one charge.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:57 PM   #13
tvpupsik
Addict
tvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enough

Device: PB 360, PB 602, PB IQ
Quote:
In my experience I also noticed that the buttery life of 302 is very impressive and lasted for a month of use without need to recharge. It was longer than on 301 I used before. I usually do turn the device off when not reading.
tvpupsik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:17 PM   #14
kgn
Groupie

Quote:
No, battery life on the 302 is way better than on the Opus. I could prove that anytime. The 302 battery is 1600 MHz while the Opus is 1000.
What??? What has frequency got to do with a battery?? This makes no sense at all (unless I misunderstand something).

If you are meaning capacity, then it should be 2050mAH (at least this is what the box is telling me).
Old 06-28-2010, 04:21 PM   #15
kgn
Groupie

One thing - I had the unit on charge all day yesterday (approx 12 hours) with the power pack. The light did not go to green. This is with the unit turned on. That seems weird - surely it should not take that long to charge? Or rather - it should not take that long for the LED to turn green?

I am putting it back on charge today - with the unit turned off.

The software gauge says full charge.