Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-02-2010, 09:52 AM   #61
jah457
jah457 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Excellent work on Calibre Kovid. Thank you.
jah457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:00 AM   #62
Thrasher
Groupie
Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jah457 View Post
Excellent work on Calibre Kovid. Thank you.
Is the Kobo supported by Calibre now?
Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2010, 06:27 PM   #63
houshuang
houshuang knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'houshuang knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'houshuang knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'houshuang knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'houshuang knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'houshuang knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'houshuang knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'houshuang knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'houshuang knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'houshuang knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'houshuang knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Needs full support for unicode!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKobo View Post
The current version doesn't have the entire Unicode character set in the fonts - I'm not sure if Chinese works or not, but I've heard from various sources that, for example, Russian does not.
Wow, that's literally a deal breaker! I was planning to go down on Monday to buy one, but I need to be able to read Chinese on it. Think about the incredibly diverse population of Canada - and in fact, one of the real strengths of such a book is that we are able to read books from our home countries, that we cannot even buy in the bookstores in Canada! Please get this fixed as soon as possible, and I will not only buy one, but evangelize it to all my friends.
houshuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:45 PM   #64
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Is the Kobo supported by Calibre now?
I've used Calibre with mine, even before it was released.
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:28 PM   #65
somecanuck
Enthusiast
somecanuck is on a distinguished road

Not yet, but it works anyway. All the device-specific profiles seem to do is custom CSS. In Kobo's case, you want to remove the CSS anyway.
somecanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 02:53 AM   #66
Thrasher
Groupie
Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Wifi
Yes, I used Calibre to generate Epubs for my Kobo. They work fine for english characters. But for Eastern European font I have to use PDF, because Kobo does not display EPUBs with this character set properly. PDFs created by Calibre do not display very well, I have 2 wide white empty spaces on side or huge white areas of missing text. I used the Sony and Kindle profiles ....
Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 03:12 AM   #67
DannyElfman
Groupie
DannyElfman will become famous soon enoughDannyElfman will become famous soon enoughDannyElfman will become famous soon enoughDannyElfman will become famous soon enoughDannyElfman will become famous soon enoughDannyElfman will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung E60
Just a quick word to say I was, like many other here, price was always holding me back.
I was about to buy a Cybook Opus as they went down to 199euros but I realize a 5" screen was too small for me (smaller than a classic "livre de poche" (pocket book in english ?).
With the Kobo, price is very good for a 6" reader. I do not need all the fancy stuff (mp3, radio, etc..).
As soon as it is available in black, I will order it. Even with custom taxes, it is a bargain for French readers
DannyElfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:51 PM   #68
midtoad
midtoad began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKobo View Post
Hi Trasher,
The Kobo Reader can display PDFs, but we currently don't support rotation on the device. You can pan and zoom around, but there is no support for changing the orientation yet.
Umm, wrong. You can choose to display PDFs in portrait or landscape. It's a menu option, and the rotation doesn't happen automatically (that's a good thing, since it means you can read lying on your side in bed!).

Now, it would be nice if there was support for rotation with books, not just with documents.
midtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:59 PM   #69
captaingeorges
Zealot
captaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Iphone32g, ipad, Kobo
Just ordered mine form Indigo here in Canada... Can't wait!

I loved my Cybook, but I had an original one (March 2008), and the memory was too small. Since I changed over to ePub due to the demise of Mobipocket, there was quite a few titles that could not be loaded with ADE.

Hopefully I will be able to read them with my new Kobo!

Regards,

Georges
captaingeorges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:25 AM   #70
DannyElfman
Groupie
DannyElfman will become famous soon enoughDannyElfman will become famous soon enoughDannyElfman will become famous soon enoughDannyElfman will become famous soon enoughDannyElfman will become famous soon enoughDannyElfman will become famous soon enough

An important question for European folks like me. Is it possible to order from Indigo to France (or another country in Europe ? ).

I've read in a French blog that one can create a user on Indigo website, add a KoBo to its cart, confirm the shipping address, and validate the order. But a message is sent later saying the delivery cannot be done to Europe.

Do you have any information about this problem ?

Thanks (and sorry for my English ...)
Old 05-05-2010, 05:34 AM   #71
Bratzzo
Addict
Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hi,

it ist not possible to oder outside canada:
http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/Intern...ome&ArtType=RS
"Everything on our site can be shipped to international destinations EXCEPT electronics iPODS, DVD Players, etc.). "

Bratzzo
Bratzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:36 AM   #72
JCSullivan
Chief Inspector Gamache
JCSullivan began at the beginning.

Device: Viewsonic
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyElfman View Post
Just a quick word to say I was, like many other here, price was always holding me back.
Danny, not sure if it will display French characters - JCKobo remarked on the unicode further-up in this thread.

Anyone have a link to a small pdf and epub in French which we could test and report on.
JCSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:53 AM   #73
DannyElfman
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCSullivan View Post
Danny, not sure if it will display French characters - JCKobo remarked on the unicode further-up in this thread.

Anyone have a link to a small pdf and epub in French which we could test and report on.
oops, didn't think it would be a problem.

Thanks for your help. Here is a link to an epub ebook :

Zola - Au bonheur des dames

Thanks
Old 05-05-2010, 05:56 AM   #74
DannyElfman
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bratzzo View Post
Hi,

it ist not possible to oder outside canada:
http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/Intern...ome&ArtType=RS
"Everything on our site can be shipped to international destinations EXCEPT electronics iPODS, DVD Players, etc.). "

Bratzzo
Crikey ! I missed this line ! Thanks Bratzzo ! Bad news then ...
Old 05-05-2010, 06:04 AM   #75
JCSullivan
Chief Inspector Gamache
JCSullivan began at the beginning.

Device: Viewsonic
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyElfman View Post
oops, didn't think it would be a problem.

Thanks for your help. Here is a link to an epub ebook :

Zola - Au bonheur des dames

Thanks
I can confirm it will read and display the French characters properly.

Last edited by JCSullivan; 05-05-2010 at 06:09 AM.
JCSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo