Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-12-2012, 01:01 AM   #1
Big McLargeHuge
Enthusiast
Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None Currently
How is Powells?

How is Powells.com? Is there customer service good? I want to buy the Kobo Glo soon, but since Best Buy just says "Coming Soon", i started looking at Powells. If i wind up with a bad Kobo Glo will i have trouble trying to exchange it or return it? Any experience with them? I've never used them before. Thanks for any help .
Big McLargeHuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:29 AM   #2
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
I have bought many p-books and other items from Powell's. I bought books from them almost exclusively during the Free Software Foundation's Amazon boycott. I had occasion to return or exchange an item a number of times, but I can only remember having any sort of dispute with their customer service once.

If you are ever in Portland, Powell's City of Books is an amazing brick-and-mortar store that occupies four floors of an entire city block. I have been there often and don't recall ever having a complaint about their customer service. Well, one of their clerks yawned once when I told her how great the store was.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Glo from Powell's.
rwhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #3
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
I will comment that I just got a Glo from Powell's today and it has a sticker saying that it can only be returned if unopened. It can be exchanged if defective.

I wouldn't expect to be able to return it if you don't like it or there's a software bug that drives you crazy.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:27 PM   #4
Big McLargeHuge
Enthusiast
Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
I will comment that I just got a Glo from Powell's today and it has a sticker saying that it can only be returned if unopened. It can be exchanged if defective.

I wouldn't expect to be able to return it if you don't like it or there's a software bug that drives you crazy.
Software bug that is due to the firmware, or a software bug unique to my device? Like the freezing some users have experienced on certain devices, could that be caused by a software bug somehow?
Old 11-13-2012, 11:19 PM   #5
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Freezing would be a software bug, but software bugs are caused by the state of the device, not by any specific hardware fault. Hence the term software bug.

You could certainly exchange for another, but any software issues will still be there. What I'm saying is that they don't accept open box returns on the Kobos. So if there is a problem that can't be fixed by an exchange, you are stuck.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:29 PM   #6
Big McLargeHuge
Enthusiast

Quote:
Freezing would be a software bug, but software bugs are caused by the state of the device, not by any specific hardware fault. Hence the term software bug.

You could certainly exchange for another, but any software issues will still be there. What I'm saying is that they don't accept open box returns on the Kobos. So if there is a problem that can't be fixed by an exchange, you are stuck.
Ya that's what i thought. Thanks .
Old 11-13-2012, 11:53 PM   #7
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
Quote:

The firmware is not static. It's constantly being debugged and upgraded by Kobo. So chances are good that Big wouldn't be stuck.

Last edited by rwhe; 11-13-2012 at 11:56 PM.
rwhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:21 AM   #8
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Doesn't Kobo still offer extended warranty?
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #9
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhe View Post
The firmware is not static. It's constantly being debugged and upgraded by Kobo. So chances are good that Big wouldn't be stuck.
I'm not saying it won't change, but that it isn't something you will just be able to return and wash your hands of either.

Knowing Kobo's history and their resources, it's a bit of a mixed bag though. It's not as if they never regress on their firmware either (new bugs in areas that worked fine before).
Old 11-18-2012, 06:22 PM   #10
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
My Glo came loose inside: without ever having dropped it or treated it roughly, if shaken from side to side, there was clearly something heavy moving a couple of mm. This after a week of light use.

So I took it back to Powell's where they replaced it with a new one as a defective under their 30-day return policy. Two in a row with no screen problems at all.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:56 AM   #11
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
P.S. - While in Powells I noticed that they have the Mini on sale for $50 during the after-TG 3-day weekend.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote