Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-02-2010, 07:33 PM   #1
djorkboy
djorkboy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
No matter how many times I upgrade to 1.4 it still asks me to upgrade

I just bought a Kobo from Borders Australia.

I am really happy with the device, it does exactly what it is supposed to do really well. I almost tricked myself into buying a more expensive reader with all sorts of other features that an ebook reader doesn't need but am really glad I chose the Kobo.

I am experiencing 2 problems with it though and I have searched around to try and find the answer elsewhere but maybe it's not there or I didn't look hard enough....

Firstly, when I sync my device with the the Kobo/Borders software all I see are the 4 books that were loaded with the software, I don't see any of the 100 books preloaded on the device (or any of the epub books I loaded via calibre), so I am unable to "un-bookmark" the ones I want to remove from the 'I'm Reading' list.

Also, every time I attach the Kobo to the PC and run the Kobo software it tells me there is an update available to version 1.4 and no matter how many times I follow those steps right through the next time I connect the Kobo the same message will appear asking me to upgrade.

Any ideas what is going on?
djorkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:02 AM   #2
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
I really don't know why you keep getting the update message so I can't help you there.

With your other issues - when you sync with the Borders software it only knows about 5 free books and any books that you have purchased from Borders. The Borders software won't recognise any other books that you have on your kobo.
To hide the 100 free books (except for any that you have started reading) you need to go to BOOKS (rather than I'M READING) on the Kobo and then press the DISPLAY button and choose MY BOOKS which will only show the books you have added to the Kobo either through Borders or Calibre or ADE.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2010, 12:28 AM   #3
djorkboy
djorkboy began at the beginning.

Even if I hide the free books by the method described any that I have opened still remain in the 'I'm reading' list.

All the posts I have seen here describe 2 methods of fixing this, one is to skip to the last chapter and then flip pages until you 'finish' the book. The other method is to sync with the desktop software and 'un-bookmark' the books.

The Borders Australia version of the Kobo comes with a customised desktop app, is there a straight Kobo version of the desktop app that might have different settings?
djorkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:34 AM   #4
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

There might be a problem on desktop application side also.
I'd try to reinstall application and do new try.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:17 AM   #5
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by djorkboy View Post
Even if I hide the free books by the method described any that I have opened still remain in the 'I'm reading' list.

All the posts I have seen here describe 2 methods of fixing this, one is to skip to the last chapter and then flip pages until you 'finish' the book. The other method is to sync with the desktop software and 'un-bookmark' the books.

The Borders Australia version of the Kobo comes with a customised desktop app, is there a straight Kobo version of the desktop app that might have different settings?
Unfortunately the only way I have found to "finish" any of the free books that you have opened is to get to the end. They don't show up in either the Borders or Kobo desktop apps so you can't close them there.
Unfortunately I started to read Darwins's On the Origin of Species. It was ONE chapter that was over a thousand pages long.... and not quite as fascinating as I had hoped.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 05:46 AM   #6
roguefan99
Zealot
roguefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7, and Kobo
Just check that the firmware has updated in the setting section, it should say 1.4 (27th Jun 2010).

There is a straight Kobo application you could try to get the update, not sure how this talks back to the borders app (I havent used it since upgrading) though.

Or possibly even better way is to try the SD card upgrade if you have one lying about and see if that tricks the program into thinking the upgrade has been done. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...highlight=card
roguefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:36 AM   #7
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Have you checked your Kobo to see what version of the firmware it's running?

Press 'MENU'
The MENU window will appear on the left - select 'SETTINGS'
In the 'OVERVIEW' section of the SETTINGS you will see the firmware version listed under DEVICE SETTINGS.

If the upgrade completed properly then it should say that the version is 1.4

If it doesn't say 1.4 then that may be the reason that you keep getting prompted to upgrade.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote