Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-27-2010, 12:55 PM   #1
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
softroot Nook Wifi

Would love to hear from folks who've softrooted their Nook Wifi.

Did you follow the regular Nook softroot procedure?
flyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal
JazzFlight began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, nook wifi
Yes, just do the exact same thing you would do for a 3G version. It worked for me. I did need to uninstall and reinstall the included nookLauncher app with the latest version (.7 or something like that) in order for the wifi button to work, but that's the case with either version of the hardware at the moment.
JazzFlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2010, 03:12 PM   #3
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does the software for the rooted Nook include the ability to delete books directly from the device (another glaring shortcoming of the Nook firmware, in addition to the lack of collections/folders)?
Old 06-28-2010, 04:22 PM   #4
Jeff_R
Jeff_R began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyash View Post
Does the software for the rooted Nook include the ability to delete books directly from the device (another glaring shortcoming of the Nook firmware, in addition to the lack of collections/folders)?
Sort of, yes. One of the apps is a file viewer, that lets you browse the directory structure of the nook, and you can remove files that way if you want. It's not the easiest way it could be done, but it's not that difficult, either.
Jeff_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:54 PM   #5
nook12
nook12 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Does it add any functionality for viewing .doc or .pdf's better?
nook12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2010, 05:58 PM   #6
Jeff_R
Jeff_R began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nook12 View Post
Does it add any functionality for viewing .doc or .pdf's better?
Not that I've seen. I'm not really happy with the way PDF's display, and try to convert to epub whenever I can.
Jeff_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:30 PM   #7
Astro
Astro began at the beginning.

My new wifi nook arrived on Saturday. I loaded 1.4 up on Sunday and have been very pleased by it. I followed the directions on the wiki EXAXCTLY and it works fine. The only extra steps I needed to do was to add the applications.

I'm 1/2 happy with the PDF reader. I love the way the flow works. I have a number of PDF books that allow me to change the font size on.

I'm unhappy that there isn't a zoom. I have some PDFs that are fixed in size (like MAKE magazine on PDF) so I'm trying to read a 3*5" inch copy. I've been looking for a PDF image splitter with no success.
Astro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:46 PM   #8
flyash
Groupie

Are any of you using your rooted Nook with Calibre? If so, are you having an issue where your Calibre tags are not all showing up in the MyBooks app on the Nook?
Old 06-29-2010, 07:58 PM   #9
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro View Post
I'm unhappy that there isn't a zoom. I have some PDFs that are fixed in size (like MAKE magazine on PDF) so I'm trying to read a 3*5" inch copy. I've been looking for a PDF image splitter with no success.
I'm not sure if it's exactly what you are looking for, but take a look for a tool called sopdf (which, I believe, only works on Windows).
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:11 AM   #10
Astro
Astro began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganK View Post
I'm not sure if it's exactly what you are looking for, but take a look for a tool called sopdf (which, I believe, only works on Windows).
I looked at it and it doesn't seem to do what I want. I have the same problem with maritime charts. I posted a longer post (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88892) on how I'd like to split the images up.

A better solution (yes, B&N, I'm looking at you) would be to have the PDF reader default to the flow mode it does so well, but have an option to zoom/pan a PDF. This would open up a whole new world of books that could be used.
Astro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:43 AM   #11
elsuave
elsuave began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro View Post
A better solution (yes, B&N, I'm looking at you) would be to have the PDF reader default to the flow mode it does so well, but have an option to zoom/pan a PDF. This would open up a whole new world of books that could be used.
I couldn't agree more: Zoom on PDF should undoubtedly be included (even if it is slow and taxing on the processor -- those that need it will be willing to cope).

The inability to transfer highlighting from the Nook to a PC is also something I cannot comprehend. If the Nook can interpret the highlighting instructions, there's absolutely no reason for their PC software to be unable to replicate the function.
elsuave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:19 PM   #12
WJMuldowney
Connoisseur
WJMuldowney began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyash View Post
Are any of you using your rooted Nook with Calibre? If so, are you having an issue where your Calibre tags are not all showing up in the MyBooks app on the Nook?
yes, I have the same issue.
WJMuldowney is offline   Reply With Quote