Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-08-2010, 09:41 PM   #1
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Stores offering books without DRM

I've read so much about the various popular sites to get eBooks from that I'm now more confused about this subject than I was a month after I registered here!

Now that Read an eBook Week is here, I thought I would visit those sites which offer books without DRM. My jetBook Lite can handle most of the formats.

Would one of you who has experience shopping for eBooks (I'm still on public domain books thus far) please tell me which are the sites that I should check out? Thanks!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:55 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Two I use a lot are FictionWise (sells DRM-free multi-format ebooks as well as DRM ridden ebooks) and Baen Webscriptions for DRM-free science fiction.

FictionWise is a particularly good choice for the jetBook Lite since they also sell DRMed eReader ebooks that work on the jetBook.

There is a longer list at Wiki: E-book stores, although FictionWise is listed under "with DRM" because they do both.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2010, 11:14 PM   #3
jabberwock_11
Addict
jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Aluratek Libre Pro
www.manybooks.net is an awesome site for DRM free ebooks in just about every format. All of the books there are 100% free. There are classics as well as modern books with creative commons licenses.

www.zuluexpress.com is another site that is coming along as well, they sell DRM free epub ebooks.
jabberwock_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:41 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I here tell www.smashwords.com sells a lot of DRM free ebooks too.. and have quite a few free ones for ebook week.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:40 AM   #5
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks very much guys! That's what I had in mind.
Advert
Old 03-09-2010, 12:52 AM   #6
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Baen (www.baen.com) is selling all thir books without DRM
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:15 AM   #7
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I think everyone has listed most of my main places already.

All free ebooks -feedbooks
Free & for purchase - smashwords / Fictionwise [MultiFormat-only] / Baen webscription
No DRM, multiple formats, and no geographic restrictions.

I also have a list of MR authors on these sites in a thread on MR. Check my signature for the links.

Have fun exploring.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:58 PM   #8
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
Do be warned!

Using the above sites, and without proper reserve, you will have more books than you can read on your reader.

In fact I'll probably have a new and different ereader by the time finish all of my books.

And if you want to "borrow" books for $15 a year try;

The Free Philadelphia Library -- Available to city residents (free), anyone 65 or older (free), residents anywhere in PA with "Access Pennsylvania" library cards (free), and non-residents ($15) Online Registration

DOWNLOADS: audio books, e-books, music, movies, plus. Downloads Download Sampler

NOTE - You do not have to register in person. The first time that you want to remove "physical" material (books, movies, etc) you must show ID. Otherwise you can download audio books, e-books, music, movies, etc as soon as you get your library card.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:28 PM   #9
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Also the DC Public Library. I filled out an online form yesterday and IMMEDIATELY received a card number in my email. I was picking out books within minutes. =)

The only question is the cost of a non-resident card; I sent an email to them asking that, and haven't received an answer yet. Well, I guess there are two questions really; the other is the 'pick up your card in person' statement; Don't know if they enforce that for non-residents. Somebody on another thread said that their access expired at one month because they hadn't picked it up in person, but that they called the library and it was reactivated.

http://overdrive.dclibrary.org/243BF...en/Default.htm

Upper right hand corner has a link to get a library card.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:51 PM   #10
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Oh my- ManyBooks has Stephen Leacock! Very funny.

pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:29 PM   #11
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

This is all great information! Thanks!
Old 03-09-2010, 06:48 PM   #12
Linda!
Enthusiast
Linda! has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Jetbook Lite
Public libraries uses Adobe DRM to secure their books, which Jetbook readers arent compatible with. Currently, jetbookers are locked out of public libraries.
Linda! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:40 PM   #13
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda! View Post
Public libraries uses Adobe DRM to secure their books, which Jetbook readers arent compatible with. Currently, jetbookers are locked out of public libraries.
I switched from the EB-1150 to the Sony PRS-600 just in case I wanted the read DRM books.

For Jetbook readers to read DRM library books they would have to download the software to read it on their computers, and then break the DRM to read it on their Jetbook.

It can be done, but I would choose not to do it.

All is not lost though. I do not buy DRM books, and I have more non-DRM books than I can read this year. And almost none are free "classics".

But even if you can't download & read DRM books from the library don't forget that they have much more.

I have to drive a lot, 2 - 6 hours a day at times. I have a MP3 player (Sana Clip Plus) that I download audiobooks to from the library. I can play it out of the radio speakers.

Currently I am listening to "Master and Commander" by Patrick O'Brian.

My dog likes it too because we now go for much longer walks.

Last edited by HorridRedDog; 03-09-2010 at 09:44 PM.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote