Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 12-29-2009, 12:32 AM   #1
fastesthamster
fastesthamster began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Converting Wikipedia books to mobi

Hi,

So Wikipedia has some resources that could be useful to have on a Kindle (like http://en.wikiversity.org or http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Main_Page)

Has anyone tried to convert a wikibook to mobi format? If so, what procedure/settings did you use?

Dave

*edit* I've tried kindlegen on the attached wikibook (want to learn French) but it falls down with a Windows error.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Learn_French.zip (863.6 KB, 317 views)

Last edited by fastesthamster; 12-29-2009 at 12:52 AM.
fastesthamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:21 AM   #2
Nathan Campos
Groupie
Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX & Kindle (2011)
Wikipedia books are in HTML format, the only thing that you need is a HTML converter.

I suggest you to use PrimoPDF, but there is a online tool too, called Free PDF Converter. If the file converted to PDF, you can convert it(PDF) to the format that you want.

But if you're going to download a book from WikiBooks, then you just need to click on the PDF download link at the right corner of every book:

Or by clicking on the left panel:

Then convert it to any other format

Enjoy!

Last edited by Nathan Campos; 12-29-2009 at 12:30 PM.
Nathan Campos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2009, 11:54 PM   #3
fastesthamster
fastesthamster began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Campos View Post
Wikipedia books are in HTML format, the only thing that you need is a HTML converter.

I suggest you to use Free PDF Converter. If the file converted to PDF, you can convert it(PDF) to the format that you want.

But if you're going to download a book from WikiBooks, then you just need to click on the PDF download link at the right corner of every book:

Then convert it to any other format

Enjoy!
Thanks, but I already tried the PDF -> mobi route, and the formatting was terrible. The HTML has a lot of scripting in it, which causes html converters to fall down.

I'm going to try the same thing I did for a Darwin book. Copy the webpage into OpenOffice and then save as html, that usually yields a fairly decent format
fastesthamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:58 AM   #4
bilgisiz
bilgisiz can illuminate an eclipsebilgisiz can illuminate an eclipsebilgisiz can illuminate an eclipsebilgisiz can illuminate an eclipsebilgisiz can illuminate an eclipsebilgisiz can illuminate an eclipsebilgisiz can illuminate an eclipsebilgisiz can illuminate an eclipsebilgisiz can illuminate an eclipsebilgisiz can illuminate an eclipsebilgisiz can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle 3.0.2 529960105
I have this problem too... I want to convert this pdf to mobi...

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?ck8w873a3q7k9xm

I converted it with calibre but formatting was terrible...
bilgisiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #5
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
I've often used this service:

http://www.edukindle.com/downloads/kindlepedia/

It works very well. You just paste in the URL of the Wikipedia page you're interested in, and a few moments later they give you a link for downloading the article in Mobi format, which can be read directly by the Kindle.

They also have a service that lets you combine several Wikipedia articles into a single file, but I haven't tried that yet.

The biggest limitation is that it only works with the English version of Wikipedia.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert