Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-03-2009, 10:48 PM   #1
ratman09
ratman09 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Brick & Mortar Stores

I've searched all over the Internet, but I can't find the answer to this question. I figured someone might know the answer here.

I'm interested in getting a PRS-600, but want to get a "hands-on" impression before I buy. Are there any "Brick & Mortar" stores, aside from the Sony Store, which is at an inconvenient distance from me, which are currently carrying the 600? If it helps, I'm located in Northern Indiana.

Thanks!
ratman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:51 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I don't know if Borders has theirs in stores yet. It was supposed to be sometime in September for them to hit the B&M locations, if there's one near you maybe give a call. Haven't heard yet if Target or Best Buy are going to carry them.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2009, 10:53 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
B&M is a brand of baked beans.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:10 PM   #4
love_guru
love_guru began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratman09 View Post
I've searched all over the Internet, but I can't find the answer to this question. I figured someone might know the answer here.

I'm interested in getting a PRS-600, but want to get a "hands-on" impression before I buy. Are there any "Brick & Mortar" stores, aside from the Sony Store, which is at an inconvenient distance from me, which are currently carrying the 600? If it helps, I'm located in Northern Indiana.

Thanks!
Abt in Glenview, IL.

http://www.abt.com/custserv/abtHours.php3

It will be very tempting to buy it in the store. However, if you can hold back, get back home, order it online and ship it to your Indiana address to lower your sales tax. You can probably take advantage of the 5% discount for new customers. YMMV.
love_guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:12 AM   #5
Journier
Groupie
Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
The Borders web site says they are to arrive Sept. 18. I have been patiently waiting, and waiting, and...
Journier is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2009, 04:11 AM   #6
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
Ya know...I had bought a 505 at BJ's last spring, decided I wanted the 700, and was able to return it within 30 days, no problem, no restocking, no question.
Went to Borders only to be told no returns on readers. (I was, at this point, wanting to be able to try out the 700...they had one attached at the BOTTOM to a security device that prevented you from turning on the light. So you couldn't see that feature....idiots..who thought up THAT?)
Then I went to the Sony store, where I could compare the 2 ...but they charged a serious restocking fee if I were to change my mind about my purchase. My point here?

Well...I wanted to make darn sure of which reader I was going to buy, and I didn't want to pay a ridiculous 'restocking fee' if I decided for whatever reason I didn't want the model.... I'd check the return policy with whomever you buy from, so you're aware ....just in case!
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:38 AM   #7
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyPie View Post
Then I went to the Sony store, where I could compare the 2 ...but they charged a serious restocking fee if I were to change my mind about my purchase. My point here?

Well...I wanted to make darn sure of which reader I was going to buy, and I didn't want to pay a ridiculous 'restocking fee' if I decided for whatever reason I didn't want the model.... I'd check the return policy with whomever you buy from, so you're aware ....just in case!
I did and that's one of the reasons I bought from Crutchfields. I'm pretty sure I'll love it since many consider it to be btwn the 505 & 700, and since I love both of my readers, I'll surely love this one as well.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:26 AM   #8
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Haven't heard yet if Target or Best Buy are going to carry them.
Best Buy's website indicates that they will be in stores (though are not yet.) If it was an online only item it would say that, instead, it offers you the chance to check local stores for stock.

I don't know about Target but they have the PRS-505 at my local stores so I would be surprised if they don't update that in the next few weeks.

Wal-mart has a PRS-505 display too (actually, a general Sony display with headphones and such too) and are selling it for $229 near me. It's been tempting But I suspect that after they clear some stock they'll put the PRS-300 there, given their generally sub-poverty target audience.
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:20 PM   #9
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
On another thread, someone saw them in a Wal-Mart. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56030

They aren't at my local Wal-Mart though. I was at Borders this weekend and they still had the 505 and 700 on display. I am also very anxious to see the actual 600, but don't get into town (one big enough to have anything more than Wal-Mart) that often.
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:55 PM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

Best Buy has the 300 in some stores, although their staff was rather clueless ands it took 3 trips before I finally convinced a manager to go into the storage place and search for them. I didn't check on the 600 as I already had one I got from Sony.