Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 07-25-2009, 05:59 AM   #1
Krapmeister
Krapmeister began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Just thought I'd call to say.....

7.30pm is way too early to be saying I love you or for a bad Stevie Wonder reference, but as a newbie to the whole eReader craze I thought just say hello...

After much forum searching, procrastinating and ....more procrastinating I finally bit the bullet and bought myself a Hanlin V3.

I've had it less than 24hours, but so far so good... I've read a bit on the forums about people changing to the BeBook or OpenInknpot firmware for a better experience. Before I start experimenting is there a walkthrough/guide as to how to backup/reinstall existing firmware?

I'd hate to start mucking about without the opportunity to re-install what I lost.

Cheers

Stephen
Krapmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:08 AM   #2
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
Hi uh Krapmeister. You can check which firmware version you have, search for it online, then revert back to it easily later, if you wish. You can switch back and forth between each HanLin V3 firmware version. There's install instructions at Jinke's website. I'll check the URL and post it in a sec...

... and I mean it from the bottom of my heart.

I bet you're Australian.

Edit: OK here's the link: http://www.jinke.com.cn/Compagesql/E...ice/update.asp
V2.02EN 2009-01-20 is the latest Jinke firmware, but there's other versions available, too. Remember to backup your files before you do an update and note that the file at this link resets your Mobipocket PID, which is not a problem if you haven't purchased any Mobipocket books yet.

Oh, and welcome to Mobileread!

Last edited by cbell; 07-25-2009 at 06:13 AM. Reason: added link
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2009, 06:28 AM   #3
Krapmeister

Thanks CBELL,

I'll see your cat and raise you a dog . A quick look at my V3 says I'm running 2.01.081204 and according to the jinke website V2.02EN 2009-01-20 is available.

I guess if I download that, I've got myself a backup. Now I just need to work out how to install it..
Old 07-25-2009, 06:35 AM   #4
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Oh, they're cute! You should use one of them as your avatar and the other can be on your profile page. That's how I keep my dog and cat happy - no favouritism here.

Your next task is to teach them how to be co-operative bookstands for your HanLin

If you bought your HanLin from DA Direct, I suggest you wait a few days before you do your update, as you'll be emailed instructions and login details for the Australian mirror site.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:52 AM   #5
Krapmeister

CBELL,

Where did you get those psychic powers of yours? First you know I'm from Australia, and then you know I bought my Hanlin from DA. Anyone would think that you work for the company and know all about me!!

I'll take your advice though and wait and see whether DA email me with further instructions...

In the meantime, I'll see how well I can train the animals as bookstands...
Advert
Old 07-25-2009, 09:15 AM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
G' Day and welcome to MobileRead. Enjoy your new toy.

I expect "mucking about" was the give away that tipped your hand to cbell
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:01 AM   #7
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Hello Krapmeister & welcome to MobileRead, one of the best places I know on the Internet.

Congratulations on your Hanlin -- I own a Kindle1 and a Sony PRS-505 and am considering getting a couple more just because I'm a gadget junkie. I mean, after all, you can only read on one at a time! (So she says as she sits here with Kindle, Sony, and Mass Market Paperbook, not to mention the Blackberry loaded with one SF novel.)
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:34 PM   #8
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Welcome to MobileRead, Stephen!

I'm sorry, but I'm just too delicate and refined to use your User name! Seriously, though, congratulations on your new reader. I am sure you will love it and spend hours and hours and hours and hours at MR getting the newest information about ereading. Enjoy!

Happy Reading!

Oh, and my 3 dogs trump your cat and dog everytime.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:48 PM   #9
cbell
Frenetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
I expect "mucking about" was the give away that tipped your hand to cbell
No, I didn't realise that "mucking about" is an Australian term. I think I must have ESP *concentrating hard*. Yes, I do.

Good that uh Krapmeister (I have trouble typing that username, too) has now listed that he's from Australia.

Oh, and I work for DA Direct
Old 07-26-2009, 09:49 PM   #10
Krapmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbell View Post
No, I didn't realise that "mucking about" is an Australian term. I think I must have ESP *concentrating hard*. Yes, I do.

Good that uh Krapmeister (I have trouble typing that username, too) has now listed that he's from Australia.

Oh, and I work for DA Direct
Ahh.. now it is all crystal clear, considering I received an email from DA Direct with all of the instructions on how to upgrade my firmware signed by a C. Bell!

And for everyone struggling with my username, I recommend reading ZigZag Street by Nick Earls and it will become clear... (I don't think it's available as an eBook though)
Old 07-26-2009, 10:01 PM   #11
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krapmeister View Post
7.30pm is way too early to be saying I love you or for a bad Stevie Wonder reference, but as a newbie to the whole eReader craze I thought just say hello...
Hey, Stephen, that's some crazy talk goin' on right there, brother. It's never too early or too late for some Master Blaster Jammin':

montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:52 AM   #12
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Welcome to MR, Krapmeister!
I may not get the reference yet, but I sure think this user name of yours is funny (or maybe it's really late )
Please, feel at home here!
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:57 AM   #13
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Click image for larger version

Name:	good day.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	33037 Stephen, and welcome to Mobileread.

Name:  australia_flag.gif
Views: 246
Size:  16.0 KB
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote