Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-10-2016, 08:54 AM   #31
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Buttons do not require me to lift-travel-place-hope that was enough pressure to turn the page but not to smudge the screen-lift-travel-replace my thumb for every page turn. Pressing a button I already have rested my thumb on (as with my old kindle keyboard) is a much more mindless operation. It may not seem like a lot, but it does matter to me. It makes for a more immersive reading experience.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:11 AM   #32
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Medical:
Poor fine motor skills (coordination)
Parkinson's or other jitters of the hand
Oily or acidic skin

Preference:
Buttons and Knobs look (don't believe me? Look at all the High end Audio gear. EYE CANDY )
They are in the right placement (for me)
I can not wear jewelry or watches, they tarnish and turn my skin green.

Keyboard letters start disappearing seven months after I buy a new keyboard. The fingerprints I leave can etch into the screen protector, and they are noticeable.

I want plain buttons (or a rocker ideally) with no symbols. Preferably on the side of the device so that I can turn pages with a squeeze of my grip. The Aztak Pocket Pro was ideal.

Last edited by Phogg; 09-10-2016 at 03:25 PM.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2016, 10:17 AM   #33
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
And while I agree our screens are fingerprint resistant they are nowhere near impervious, especially as I often read during a meal.
I sometimes read with my Kindle while eating and I've found it's pretty easy with a little care to avoid getting my pinky greasy so I can use it for turning pages. I can even eat fried chicken and read as long as I remember to not use my pinky. As I begin eating I make myself remember that but it soon becomes a habit and I can forget about it safely. I can't recall ever getting grease on the screen.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:42 AM   #34
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
Buttons do not require me to lift-travel-place-hope that was enough pressure to turn the page but not to smudge the screen-lift-travel-replace my thumb for every page turn. Pressing a button I already have rested my thumb on (as with my old kindle keyboard) is a much more mindless operation. It may not seem like a lot, but it does matter to me. It makes for a more immersive reading experience.
That's my biggest beef, too. When reading one-handed on a touch-screen, my thumb is either blocking a portion of the screen, or traveling too far if it's not. A button eliminates both unsatisfactory situations.

That's why I've taken to using a bluetooth media remote to turn pages when reading on my tablet. No thumb travel, no screen blockage, no screen touching whatsoever. Handy on a treadmill, too.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:54 AM   #35
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post

That's why I've taken to using a bluetooth media remote to turn pages when reading on my tablet. No thumb travel, no screen blockage, no screen touching whatsoever. Handy on a treadmill, too.
I'll have to remember that.
A few years back somebody was asking for a way to help a quadraplegic use an ereader. (Might've been around here, might've been Teleread.)
I saw a few at amazon that would be perfect. And cheap, too.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2016, 11:19 AM   #36
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I'll have to remember that.
A few years back somebody was asking for a way to help a quadraplegic use an ereader. (Might've been around here, might've been Teleread.)
I saw a few at amazon that would be perfect. And cheap, too.
Just make sure the reading app has the option to use the volume buttons to turn pages. As long as it does (and it's enabled), the volume buttons on the media-remote should work to turn pages. I've successfully used it with the Kindle reading app, Bookari (Mantano) Premium, and I think I tested it successfully with the Kobo app a while back. I think I paid $15 for a Fintie, but it actually does more than I need. I'm sure there's much cheaper solutions.
Old 09-10-2016, 01:30 PM   #37
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Just make sure the reading app has the option to use the volume buttons to turn pages. As long as it does (and it's enabled), the volume buttons on the media-remote should work to turn pages. I've successfully used it with the Kindle reading app, Bookari (Mantano) Premium, and I think I tested it successfully with the Kobo app a while back. I think I paid $15 for a Fintie, but it actually does more than I need. I'm sure there's much cheaper solutions.
FBReader and coolreader both support volume button paging.
I just like to archive tips like this.
You never know when they might come in handy.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 01:37 PM   #38
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Moon + Reader (At least the Pro version) also has the option to use the volume buttons to turn pages.

Hadn't thought about getting one of these remotes!

from my Galaxy S6
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:45 PM   #39
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I never thought about this either. I just ordered one from Amazon. It'll be here next week. I'm not sure this is something I'll use but I'm curious about it and I want to try it. I watch a lot of movies and TV shows on tablets and it might also be useful for them.

This is a good forum for getting new ideas.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:27 PM   #40
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I must have buttons on my e-readers. Not so much a preference, but a need. I can't hold the device by the bezel and then go into the screen. I have to lift the thumb off from holding the device, which throws off my balance and the device falls out of my hand. Even the Voyage was difficult as the bezel on it is so small. I never had that issue with the K1 and the K3 and not with the basic with buttons.
I don't mind the touch screen for selecting things, but for actually reading, changing pages, I just have buttons. Which is why I was so very happy about the Oasis. I can finally read without pain, without dropping the device, no cramps. I don't ever have to move my thumb, its always on top of the button. No rotation, just a slight push down. Bezel of course is nice and big so no issues with cramping or changing pages by accident as I do all the time on the Voyage.

I have small hands and so can't hold a device that has no buttons.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:47 PM   #41
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When you have a new prescription or your prescription is still correct, do you use the touchscreen to turn the page or do you still use the buttons?

When I was using a 505 which buttons and no touch screen, I did have to occasionally clean the screen. The screen just gets dust and stuff on it without being touched. IT happens. So out comes a microfiber cloth to clean the screen. I'm finding that while I do clean my H2Os screen more often, it's not that much more often.
As to button or swipe, it really does depend. I find holding the reader at the bottom and using the buttons to be the most natural for me. But I might have the reader propped up against a cup while I'm having lunch, and then it's usually a swipe (unless the screen is being difficult, then I have to pick it up and touch a button). Or I just might be tired of holding it a certain way, so I switch around. I prefer the option to have both, because that allows me to use whichever option suits my "needs" (wishes) at the time.

And I will agree - I spend more time clearing dust particles from my readers' screens, touch or no, than fingerprints. The phone? It's definitely finger prints more
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:48 AM   #42
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Genius!! My mom (89) hasn't been reading much because of severe arthritis in her hands. It hurts to hold the tablet or ereader. She should be able to use a pillow to prop up her Kindle Fire, and I am going to buy her a remote to try. My son has one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=A4WEY3A9PN2FL floating around the house and it works great. So easy to turn pages.
Thank you so much for this information!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:20 AM   #43
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
Genius!! My mom (89) hasn't been reading much because of severe arthritis in her hands. It hurts to hold the tablet or ereader. She should be able to use a pillow to prop up her Kindle Fire, and I am going to buy her a remote to try. My son has one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=A4WEY3A9PN2FL floating around the house and it works great. So easy to turn pages.
Thank you so much for this information!
S
Glad to help. I hope it helps your mom get back to reading more.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:44 AM   #44
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Glad to help. I hope it helps your mom get back to reading more.
Me too! She has always been a voracious reader and now she isn't reading at all. Which is not good for an older brain. The more stimulation the better.
It may take a bit for me to get up there to show her how too use it. I will post back and let you know A. if she will even use it and B. if she likes it.
Thanks again!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 11:07 AM   #45
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
When I used my Sony 505 I could touch the screen without highlighting anything or turning a page. This was great for aiding reading speed because I could put my fingers where I wanted my eye fixations (a speed-reading technique).
I now mostly use my Paperwhite 2, which is touch screen only. If I touch the screen it affects the reader. The house I now live in has such poor lighting that I need the frontlight on the Paperwhite.
Oh for a non-touch frontlit ereader!
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote