Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-25-2008, 12:22 PM   #1
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
Wishlist - the perfect device for you

Must haves
  • 9,7'' / A5 / Bigger - at least 150dpi to read A4-PDFs
  • Also available as 6'' device to take along [i]see Ralph Sir Edwards Post[i]
  • Wireless (WLan) Some B2B-Applications I have in mind
  • Long Battery Life (at the very least a complete weekend) sometimes I need to make weekend-trips - and I dont want to take a recharger with me
  • User-exchangeable Battery (cheap batteries preferred ) more battery-time, lower service-cost, ..
  • Touchscreen - "finger"-usable would be nice but pen is sufficient Annotating documents, taking notes - I need it
  • PDF, HTML, RTF
  • Developer SDK I want to develop a nice interface to some document-management-systems and document-annotation-databases
  • StandBy I hate waiting
  • CF or SD-Card Support Gimmegimmegimme storage. Some of those technical papers are big
  • USB-Client or Ethernet Port PC-interface when you have no WiFi ready
  • Bookmark- and Dictionary-Support in the reader Please!
  • Able to switch off Wifi, Card-Reader, Touchscreen, etc and switch down CPU More Battery if you only need to read
  • Zoom-Function and Font-Size adaptable For those small annotations below images
  • Folders See Ralph Sir Edwards post below - you just need folders to sort your files. Even better: Additional file metainformation

Nice to haves
  • UMTS/GPRS/Edge or similar Travelling
  • Reader software that can be switched to another (e.g. Mobipocket - eReader - ...) Okay. Only one DRM per device? No prob, I can switch
  • USB-Host-Port USB-Sticks
  • Software to use the reader as secondary display and touchscreen - e.g. VGA-IN and USB-Out That would be awesome
  • Audio Out Only one device to take along
  • Nice MP3-Player Software with M3U-Support, Folder-Support, ID3-Tags, et See above
  • AA or AAA batteries See Ralph Sir Edwards Post

What would you want?

Last edited by tirsales; 06-25-2008 at 12:36 PM.
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 12:29 PM   #2
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Hmmmmm .... I've actually got what I want. Although, I really would like to see what James Dyson would design if he were to design an ebook reader.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2008, 12:30 PM   #3
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
FOLDERS!!!

Most of the same but also available in a 6" screen size (with a nice cover - think CYbook 3rd gen)

AA or AAA battery driven! I know your battery life shrinks, but swapping batteries is a whole lot faster that chargers, and you can buy NIMH batteries which have many more recharges that an Li-Ion battery. (And it wont be JUNK when the Li-Ion battery dies!!!!)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 12:34 PM   #4
tirsales
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I add your proposals to my list - the different sizes and AA(A)-batteries are a good idea.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:37 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Support for Mobipocket, eReader, Sony, and Adobe DE DRM schemes.

I know, will never happen. But you said "wish" list, not practical list.

While we are at it, color eInk screen.

Oh... can it be designed so it is collapseable, like the Redius, and can expand from 5inch to 10inch screen size adpativly resizing contenct similar to what happens when you resize your browser window.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2008, 12:39 PM   #6
tirsales

A folding display would be nice, yes. After all - if readius can do it, why not generate a reader like that?
Speaking wishes: A sensor that reads the reader orientation and turns the page appropriately (must be able to turn that feature off if needed)
Old 06-25-2008, 03:44 PM   #7
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Most of that's available in a Tablet PC already --- I've been reading my copy of the _Dragon Magazine Archive_ on my Fujitsu Stylistic since the .pdfs are too large for my Sony Reader.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:12 PM   #8
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirsales View Post
What would you want?
Color I have a fair bit of ebooks with color illustrations. Sorry, but James Caldecott just doesn't make it in gray scale.

The ability to do other things besides display ebooks.

My current ebook viewer is a Palm OS PDA. It handles eReader, Mobipocket, Plucker, PDF, RTF, Word and plain ASCII text files.

It also handles PIM functions (Address Book, Calculator, DateBook, ToDo, Memos), word processing, spreadsheets, databases, and games, as well as playing MP3s and Ogg files and AVI and MPEG video.

I wouldn't at all mind a device with a larger screen that did the same things. It wouldn't fit in a pocket, but I don't carry my PDA in a pocket now.

I'm not interested in a Cybook, Kindle, Sony Reader or the like, because I don't want to carry it and a PDA. I don't think having the same device perform multiple functions is an unreasonable wish.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:20 PM   #9
tirsales

Okay - faster refresh rate and color.

@WillAdams: Tablets are heavy, expensive, loud, use LCD - and there batterie does not last long enough. I want eInk, no moveable parts (no fans, no normal HDD, etc), battery time, etc.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:54 AM   #10
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
tirsales, agreed --- I did find putting a CF-IDE adapter in my Fujitsu Stylistic 2300 a huge improvement though (no fan in it, so no moving parts) making the machine compleatly silent running much cooler. Unfortunately, no joy in copying Windows XP Tablet PC Edition to a smaller drive on my 4110, so I'm stuck w/ the 30GB HD (and it has a fan). The 9-cell battery I got for it provides _amazing_ battery life though.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:06 PM   #11
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I'd really like to be able to sync with Outlook to get my address book and calendar on my Sony Reader. Even if I'm unable to edit contacts/events on my Reader, at least be able to access these on my Reader would be extremely helpful.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote