Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-06-2012, 02:15 AM   #1
Sternchen
Sternchen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Unhappy Error message: The file did not exist when this move operation was started

Hi,

since Calibre 0.9.4 I get an error message when trying to change book data like title, author, etc or when trying to convert a book to a different format. I get always the same error:

calibre, version 0.9.5
FEHLER: Nicht abgefangener Fehler: <b>ValueError</b>:The file u'path_to_ebook' did not exist when this move operation was started

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\convert\single.py", line 255, in accept
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\convert\metadata.py", line 232, in commit
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 2283, in set_metadata
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 665, in set_path
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 1519, in add_format
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 1377, in copy_format_to
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\filenames.py", line 307, in copy_path_to
ValueError: The file u'path_to_ebook' did not exist when this move operation was started

I have no idea how to deal with this error, is there somebody who can help me?

I'm using Calibre 0.9.5 on Windows 7.

cu
Sternchen
Sternchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:19 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Go to Preferences->plugins and disable any third party plugins you have installed, then restart calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2012, 03:53 AM   #3
Sternchen

Thankyou very much for your reply. Unfortunately that didn't help.

calibre, version 0.9.5
FEHLER: Ändern der Daten fehlgeschlagen: Wer konnte nicht eingetragen werden. Klicken Sie auf Details, um sehen warum.

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\models.py", line 872, in setData
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\models.py", line 946, in _set_data
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 2221, in set
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 2558, in set_title
ValueError: The file u'path to book' did not exist when this move operation was started

cu
Sternchen
Old 11-07-2012, 04:08 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

then right click on the library icon and go to library maintenance and run restore database
Old 11-08-2012, 02:48 AM   #5
Sternchen

Thankyou again for your kind support.

I tried what you said, but it didn't help. I have a couple of libraries and the error happens in all of them, even in a library with only 6 books.

cu
Sternchen
Advert
Old 11-08-2012, 02:52 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Then I'm at a loss. The string 'path to book' does not exist in the calibre source code and if you did a library restore, then it should not exist in the library either, so I have no clue where it is coming from.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:30 AM   #7
Sternchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Then I'm at a loss. The string 'path to book' does not exist in the calibre source code and if you did a library restore, then it should not exist in the library either, so I have no clue where it is coming from.
Ooops, I'm sorry. I wrote "path to book" into the error message. I didn't want to confuse you. Excactly it should read (for example)

calibre, version 0.9.5
FEHLER: Ändern der Daten fehlgeschlagen: Wer konnte nicht eingetragen werden. Klicken Sie auf Details, um sehen warum.

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\models.py", line 872, in setData
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\models.py", line 946, in _set_data
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 2221, in set
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 2558, in set_title
ValueError: The file u'K:\\Calibre Kindle\\Jane Austen\\Stolz und Vorurteil (107)\\Stolz und Vorurteil - Jane Austen.azw' did not exist when this move operation was started

Sorry for the confusion, I just wanted to shorten the message a little.

cu
Sternchen
Old 11-09-2012, 03:32 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Do you have your calibre library on a network drive? If so, move it off.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:33 AM   #9
Sternchen

Ok, that helped.
But what can I do to use my library on a network drive? It worked with the Calibre versions before 0.9.4. Should I go back to an earlier version? Or will this behaviour be changed in a future release?
Anything else I can do?

cu
Sternchen
Old 11-11-2012, 05:03 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Running calibre on networked drives has never been officially supported. http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....rked-drive-nas
Old 11-24-2012, 07:27 PM   #11
dijon
dijon began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I just wanted to chime in and say I've been having the same exact errors recently. I can add a book to calibre, but anytime I edit the metadata and hit 'ok' I get the above error.

I also read the FAQ when I started and decided to give the NAS storage a shot anyway. I have been keeping my database and back up books on my Synology NAS and it has been working wonderfully for the past year. Then around 9.2 or 9.3 I started getting this error. I understand that network file systems are a different beast but at some point this was working for me.

eg. I add a book by other Bob Smith. -> Calibre creates a folder called Bob Smith with my book, the cover and metadata inside it. If I then edit the metadata for this book to say, Smith, Bob -> Calibre gives me the error - BUT - it creates an empty folder called Smith, Bob while leaving the folder Bob Smith. This seems to be new behavior because it used to work fine.

Should I downgrade a few versions? I really have no use for a library that's not on a NAS.

here's the actual error:

calibre, version 0.9.7
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>error</b>3, 'CreateFile', 'The system cannot find the path specified.')

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\metadata\single.py", line 472, in accept
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\metadata\single.py", line 445, in apply_changes
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\metadata\basic_widgets.py", line 274, in commit
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 2507, in set_authors
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 2494, in windows_check_if_files_in_use
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\filenames.py", line 290, in __init__
error: (3, 'CreateFile', 'The system cannot find the path specified.')
dijon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:45 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Your NAS is being NASty
and not being (instantly) available all the time.

1) Don't use a NAS.
2) If you do, Don't complain here about filesystem errors The big guy said they were trouble.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:11 PM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Or... keep the database local and use one of the data replication tools to copy it to the NAS for backup purposes.

I for one use Always Sync for that purpose.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, error, move operation