Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: which is the best ebook reader in your opinion?
Hanlin 3 4.84%
iRex iLiad 15 24.19%
Sony Reader 30 48.39%
StarBook 0 0%
Bookeen / Cybook 17 27.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-03-2008, 06:30 AM   #1
redbaron101
Zealot
redbaron101 began at the beginning.

Device: palm t3, iphone, bebook (hanlin v3 clone)
Most Popular eBook Reader

Hi All,

I've read reviews for the current crop of readers, but dont have any personal experience of any ebook reader; spec. wise I think the latest Hanlins & Iliads appear to be better on paper (pardon the pun) - which is the best ebook reader in your opinion?
redbaron101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:39 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's an impossible question to answer unless you specify "best at doing WHAT".

You can forget the Hanlin/Starbook in terms of popularity - I honestly can't recall one single person on this forum having one; they seem to be aimed almost exclusively at the far eastern market, rather than the west, from what I can gather about them.

As far as the rest go, each has strengths and weaknesses:

- The Sony is very well made and the cheapest, but doesn't have dictionary lookup facilities.

- The iLiad is the most expensive and most capable (it's more of an "eInk Tablet PC" than a bookreader) but has a short battery life and a long boot time.

- The CyBook is, IMHO, a good middle ground. It's somewhat more expensive than the Sony, but a lot cheaper than the iLiad. It has dictionary support and supports the very popular MobiPocket format. Of course, I'm horribly biased since I own a Gen3!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2008, 10:50 AM   #3
redbaron101
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's an impossible question to answer unless you specify "best at doing WHAT".

You can forget the Hanlin/Starbook in terms of popularity - I honestly can't recall one single person on this forum having one; they seem to be aimed almost exclusively at the far eastern market, rather than the west, from what I can gather about them.

As far as the rest go, each has strengths and weaknesses:

- The Sony is very well made and the cheapest, but doesn't have dictionary lookup facilities.

- The iLiad is the most expensive and most capable (it's more of an "eInk Tablet PC" than a bookreader) but has a short battery life and a long boot time.

- The CyBook is, IMHO, a good middle ground. It's somewhat more expensive than the Sony, but a lot cheaper than the iLiad. It has dictionary support and supports the very popular MobiPocket format. Of course, I'm horribly biased since I own a Gen3!
Is the mobi pocket format drm'd? - I usually avoid drm, as I dont personally like being tied to one device - if I buy a book, I would want to to be able to read it in any device, for example I chop and change mp3 players all the time, usually every couple of years or so, (thats one for me and another for the missus), but we share the the players (usually just switch sd cards around or copy and delete songs as we need them) so buying drm music would have greatly limited our choices especially since we change mp3 player brands as well, so for us buying the cd's and converting them is much cheaper and more flexible. I didnt want to be in this predicement with an eReader, having ebooks that either cant be transfered or couldnt be accessed say in five or six years time.

Does anyone else know why the illiad takes so long to boot? I have a palm T3 which I still use - great little device - turns on instantly. I know my Palm T3 can read pdfs etc) but I always found the screen while okay for writing notes, viewing pics or running apps, too small for books, or long films. If my T3 can do so much more, why does the illiad take so long to boot? (the comparison chart on this web site put it at 44 seconds!)
Old 01-03-2008, 11:00 AM   #4
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
Mobipocket files are .prc and can be found both DRM (from mobipocket and other vendors) and nonDRM format.

In most cases, you can register several devices to the DRM key (depending on vendor it's between 2-4, I believe).

But alternatively, you can buy the book in a DRM'ed lit and then convert that to an nonDRMed .prc that you can read on any device that you can install a mobi reader on.
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:08 AM   #5
redbaron101
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixte View Post
Mobipocket files are .prc and can be found both DRM (from mobipocket and other vendors) and nonDRM format.

In most cases, you can register several devices to the DRM key (depending on vendor it's between 2-4, I believe).
depending on the vendor - what like paperback digital?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixte View Post
But alternatively, you can buy the book in a DRM'ed lit and then convert that to an nonDRMed .prc that you can read on any device that you can install a mobi reader on.
Is converting a drm'd lit to a non drm prc legit? What would you use to convert lit to prc?
Advert
Old 01-03-2008, 11:15 AM   #6
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
And then there was the Amazon Kindle ....
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:20 AM   #7
redbaron101
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
And then there was the Amazon Kindle ....
but with amazon, again it for the US only! Dont you guys even have to pay Amazon 10cents to upload your own documents the kindle?
Old 01-03-2008, 11:28 AM   #8
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
You can pay them 10 cents to send it wirelessly. You can load them yourself via USB if they're a supported format. If you want them convert a document, you can send it to username@free.kindle.com and they will convert it and send it back to you. Then you can load it via USB for free. The mandatory 10 cent charge is one of the most common misconceptions spread about the Kindle.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:29 AM   #9
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
You can pay them 10 cents to send it wirelessly. You can load them yourself via USB if they're a supported format. If you want them convert a document, you can send it to username@free.kindle.com and they will convert it and send it back to you. Then you can load it via USB for free. The mandatory 10 cent charge is one of the most common misconceptions spread about the Kindle.
You can also download files using the browser for free.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:37 AM   #10
redbaron101
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
my bad, Alisa, didnt realise this was the case. Still, the kindle is only available in the US though
Old 01-03-2008, 11:44 AM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron101 View Post
Is converting a drm'd lit to a non drm prc legit? What would you use to convert lit to prc?
Well, breaking the DRM may not be 'legal' depending on where you are. It depends on if you have a problem with that or not.

To convert a LIT use ConvertLit to explode it & use the OPF file in Mobipocket Creator to generate a Mobi file.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:50 AM   #12
redbaron101
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Well, breaking the DRM may not be 'legal' depending on where you are. It depends on if you have a problem with that or not.

To convert a LIT use ConvertLit to explode it & use the OPF file in Mobipocket Creator to generate a Mobi file.
Thanks AmeicOak, thats worth noting for later!

You guys in the US have got it well easy - Im having a hard time just looking for an uk retailer!
Old 01-03-2008, 12:05 PM   #13
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron101 View Post
my bad, Alisa, didnt realise this was the case. Still, the kindle is only available in the US though
Sadly, yes, but there are rumors that it will be coming to Europe in the not-too-distant future.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:06 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Sony entry needs to be split into the 500 and 505 and the Hanlain entry needs to be split up to the V3, v2, V8. Plus there is no Kindle. So basically, (IMHO) the poll is almost useless.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:13 PM   #15
redbaron101
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Sony entry needs to be split into the 500 and 505 and the Hanlain entry needs to be split up to the V3, v2, V8. Plus there is no Kindle. So basically, (IMHO) the poll is almost useless.
Hi Wolf, I've been a bit selfish, the poll is to try and help me decide which eReader to go for, hence why I didnt include the versions - I wanted to try and guage which brands were more popular - I havent even included ones like Kindle because they just arent available here (in the uk).

I know different eReaders have different strengths - my main collection of ebooks consist of pdfs, but it looks like even the illiad doesnt cope with a4 pdfs to well either.