Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-16-2011, 10:00 AM   #16
hiaig
Addict
hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetbook and PocketBook IQ
citac, added your hourglass in portrait mode in post 3.

Cheers
hiaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:02 AM   #17
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiaig View Post
citac,

if you want the bootlogo to be in portrait mode, you need an image that is 600x800.

what Coredump-EE is talking about is the process of creating the .img. In order for the image to come out in portrait mode, it has to be rotated clockwise so that it is 800x600 before conversion into .img.

If you want a portrait image on the IQ, you need to give me an image that is 600x800. I am not good and photoshop, otherwise I would "fix" the image for you.

Cheers
As I understood it, I'd have to edit it to look as the attachment above. But one of the reasons I wanted to do all this by myself is because in essence I'm chopping up someone's work and using it on my reader. That can pass since I'd be keeping the results for myself, but as soon as I put it out there, I'm infringing on someone's right. These images are for sale as prints, decals etc, and I don't see a Creative Commons license allowing me to remix their work.

I'll need some time to see if I can edit the images in such a way to keep the watermark. (Yes, yes, I'm procrastinating and should be doing other things. Unfortunately, I'm OCD about these things.)
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2011, 10:24 AM   #18
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by citac View Post
I'm sorry for being so obtuse, but I don't understand any of this. How in the world can someone edit an image without seeing it directly?
Happens all the time.
- If you run a server and you need to generate pictures containing text, pictures containing charts.
- If you are a Calibre developer and you need to process covers, or perhaps extract cover image from pdf file
- If you want to process pdf file to series of bitmaps for OCR . This happens inside OCR software.
- if you want to make a foolproof description of how to convert an image so it can be used as cover for PocketBook 360, for example you publish following command
Code:
convert escher01.png -quantize GRAY +dither -colors 4 -rotate "-90>" escher01.bmp
Have a look here for many, many examples of how Imagemagick can be used http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/

Quote:
How do I call the program form the cmd prompt? It's been years since I last used it, and even then I had trouble with it. There's nothing under "Users" on my computer. And what exactly do I do with the quote you provided for me?

Well, it depends on what machine you have.

Let's suppose you have Windows XP
Install Imagemagick from the site.
Now go to start menu, select "run" and type cmd to the prompt.
A Command Prompt - relatively small black window with a bit of text should appear.
Now type command convert to the Command Prompt and press Enter.
A long text will scroll in the window - describing all the command options 'convert' command has.
Now, let's forget about Users directory. From Graphical User Interface in windows make directory C:\work and put your files there.
Now, in Command prompt type C: and press Enter
Type cd C:\work and press enter
Now you can start working.
If you have bitmap called escher01.png in C:\work for example, you could run command
Code:
convert escher01.png -quantize GRAY +dither -colors 4 -rotate "-90>" escher01.bmp
to convert it into four color dithered greyscale and rotate it (but it will be rotated only if width is greater than height.)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:38 AM   #19
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
citac, added your hourglass in portrait mode in post 3.

Cheers
Thank you very much! I know it's a lot to ask, but could you add this one too, which keeps the watermark of vladstudio and adds the model name and number for Pocketbook??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	logoIQ.png
Views:	380
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	64921  

Last edited by citac; 01-16-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:01 AM   #20
citac
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Happens all the time.
- If you run a server and you need to generate pictures containing text, pictures containing charts.
- If you are a Calibre developer and you need to process covers, or perhaps extract cover image from pdf file
- If you want to process pdf file to series of bitmaps for OCR . This happens inside OCR software.
- if you want to make a foolproof description of how to convert an image so it can be used as cover for PocketBook 360, for example you publish following command
Code:
Have a look here for many, many examples of how Imagemagick can be used http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/
I'm a totally visual person and need to manipulate my images directly. Of course, my usage is completely different from what you listed above.

Quote:
Well, it depends on what machine you have.

Let's suppose you have Windows XP
Install Imagemagick from the site.
Now go to start menu, select "run" and type cmd to the prompt.
A Command Prompt - relatively small black window with a bit of text should appear.
Now type command convert to the Command Prompt and press Enter.
A long text will scroll in the window - describing all the command options 'convert' command has.
Now, let's forget about Users directory. From Graphical User Interface in windows make directory C:\work and put your files there.
Now, in Command prompt type C: and press Enter
Type cd C:\work and press enter
Now you can start working.
If you have bitmap called escher01.png in C:\work for example, you could run command
Code:
to convert it into four color dithered greyscale and rotate it (but it will be rotated only if width is greater than height.)
Yes! I was able to get to this: "A long text will scroll in the window - describing all the command options 'convert' command has." but didn't know where to go from there. So make directory, put pre-prepared images, study the list of commands. Thank you! I'll have to leave it for later when I don't have such a high stack of papers in front of me.

OK, so I continued working on this, got the cmd prompt figured out and managed to convert the photo I want to use into an .img file. The problem is I too keep getting a file that's 1875000 bytes. Anyone have an idea how to get to 1920000 bytes on Windows XP?

Last edited by citac; 01-16-2011 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Additional question
Advert
Old 01-16-2011, 11:26 AM   #21
hiaig
Addict
hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Thank you very much! I know it's a lot to ask, but could you add this one too, which keeps the watermark of vladstudio and adds the model name and number for Pocketbook??
added to post 3

Cheers
Old 01-16-2011, 11:39 AM   #22
citac
Fanatic

Quote:
added to post 3

Cheers
Fantastic! (Dang, won't let me give you more karma! In any case, thank you very much. Off to try it!)
Old 01-16-2011, 11:53 AM   #23
myle00
Connoisseur
myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Palm Treo
Quote:
Yes! I was able to get to this: "A long text will scroll in the window - describing all the command options 'convert' command has." but didn't know where to go from there. So make directory, put pre-prepared images, study the list of commands. Thank you! I'll have to leave it for later when I don't have such a high stack of papers in front of me.

OK, so I continued working on this, got the cmd prompt figured out and managed to convert the photo I want to use into an .img file. The problem is I too keep getting a file that's 1875000 bytes. Anyone have an idea how to get to 1920000 bytes on Windows XP?
Exactly what kacir said.

I did it with your image and it seems to work for me on Windows 7. Here's the code I ran:
Code:
C:\Users\xxxxxxx>convert logo.png -depth 8 -separate -swap 0,2 -combine
rgba:logo.img
Are you sure it says 1875000 bytes and not 1,875 KB, because they are not the same. For me it says 1875 KB, but when I click on the properties info of the image it says
Code:
Size: 1.83 MB (1,920,000 bytes)
which is what we need. The reason is that
1 KB= 1024 bytes
1875 KB * 1024 bytes/KB = 1,920,000 bytes.
myle00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:03 PM   #24
citac
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by myle00 View Post
Exactly what kacir said.

I did it with your image and it seems to work for me on Windows 7. Here's the code I ran:
Code:
C:\Users\xxxxxxx>convert logo.png -depth 8 -separate -swap 0,2 -combine
rgba:logo.img
Are you sure it says 1875000 bytes and not 1,875 KB, because they are not the same. For me it says 1875 KB, but when I click on the properties info of the image it says
Code:
Size: 1.83 MB (1,920,000 bytes)
which is what we need. The reason is that
1 KB= 1024 bytes
1875 KB * 1024 bytes/KB = 1,920,000 bytes.
See, I didn't know that. I thought 1875 kb equaled 1875000 bytes. So that means I got the hang of it! And that I will be able to create several versions of the boot logo. The possibilities are mind boggling! :rubs hands together:
Old 01-18-2011, 12:49 PM   #25
macnutzer
Enthusiast
macnutzer has met Morla.macnutzer has met Morla.macnutzer has met Morla.macnutzer has met Morla.macnutzer has met Morla.macnutzer has met Morla.macnutzer has met Morla.macnutzer has met Morla.macnutzer has met Morla.macnutzer has met Morla.macnutzer has met Morla.

Device: none
Sounds great! I have no Windows to make a package. Is there anywhere the final .zip File to download?

Thanks
M.
macnutzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:54 PM   #26
hiaig
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnutzer View Post
Sounds great! I have no Windows to make a package. Is there anywhere the final .zip File to download?

Thanks
M.
Look at post 1 and 3, click on the thumbnail logo that you like to download.

Cheers
Old 01-18-2011, 03:40 PM   #27
hiaig
Addict

added cyanogen android logo to post 3.

Cheers
Old 01-20-2011, 02:13 PM   #28
cayle
cayle doesn't littercayle doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505 and T1, Pocketbook IQ
Thank you for posting all this, and making some easy-to install images. I was getting sick of the default boot-up screen (and my sister too). We both love these!
cayle is offline   Reply With Quote