Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-09-2010, 02:49 PM   #16
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
What firmware version is on your nook and what type of book is this happening with?

I am running version 1.1.0 and my nook would not wake up so I had to force it to shut down. I restarted it and it went right back to where I was in my book..... This was a sideloaded PDB from Fictionwise.

I'm just wondering if the problem might be with Adobes' implementation of Epub?
I'm running 1.1.1. It's happening with FW epubs. As long as the nook goes to sleep before it gets turned off or restarted, it remembers the last page. If it goes straight to shutdown, it doesn't. It really does seem as if they're either not flushing a write buffer or not moving the information from temporary to permanent storage on shutdown.

Have you tried hitting the power button without letting it go to sleep first? Now you have me curious as to whether or not it's format dependent.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:20 PM   #17
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
I'm running 1.1.1. It's happening with FW epubs. As long as the nook goes to sleep before it gets turned off or restarted, it remembers the last page. If it goes straight to shutdown, it doesn't. It really does seem as if they're either not flushing a write buffer or not moving the information from temporary to permanent storage on shutdown.

Have you tried hitting the power button without letting it go to sleep first? Now you have me curious as to whether or not it's format dependent.
I usually always hit the power button to force my nook to sleep, and that is without exiting the book I am reading. I just now exited the book I am reading, and shut down my nook. When I turned it back on I selected Reading Now and the book opened to the correct page. I had tested the highlight and note function and that was still retained. I now bookmarked that page.

I now shut off my nook at the furthest point read, without exiting the book. When I turned it on and selected reading now the nook again took me to the correct page. I selected Bookmarks and my new bookmark was there and it took me to the page I tested the highlight and note (which was also there).

Once again this a Fictionwise PDB DRM's book and my firmware is the older one 1.1.0.

I also suspect that it may be the format.

I will look for an Epub book to try also...

Just tried it with an Epub book I got from Feedbooks (No DRM).

The nook retains the furthest read page no matter if I turn it off at that page or exit the book. However, highlights, notes and bookmarks disappear on shut down both ways.

So for my firmware I retain the furthest read on Epub and lose bookmarks and highlights. On PDB books I retain everything.

So for me it looks like the problem is with the implementation of the Adobe Reader....

Last edited by Musicman; 01-09-2010 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Epub Tried
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:50 PM   #18
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Okay. Odd development. I downloaded an FW multi-format PDB. It worked just fine. Open the book, move to some interior page, hit the power button. When I hit it again it's still there and on the same page.

So I tried it with one of my FW epubs. And again, it works flawlessly, whereas it normally doesn't unless I exit the book and just let it go to sleep.

So what's different? Well, for one, I'm at home, where I have both 3G and WiFi connectivity. Normally, I'm on the subway, where I have neither. Sometimes, I'm at the office. AT&T doesn't work very well in downtown NYC (though VZW kicks butt there) and I don't have WiFi set up.

So the behavior actually seems to be connectivity-dependent, rather than format dependent. My next step is to try it with the radios off.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:40 PM   #19
jeankap
EReading Gadget Maven
jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: All of 'em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcar302 View Post
Not sure if this is a bug or just a problem we have, does the nook charge if you have it off?
The orange light only stays on if the nook is on, once you turn it off, it goes out. Is the orange light even the charge indicator?
From the Nook User Guide:

"Your nook must be on or sleeping to charge. When your nook is off and you plug it in to charge it, your nook turns on. Do not turn it off again; it needs to be on to charge. If you are not using your nook, it will sleep and continue to charge."

The User Guide also recommends wall charging over USB charging - which is slow, and requires you to unmount the nook drives from your computer (the Unix/Mac equivalent of making a usb drive safe for removal on the PC) before it will go out of data mode. It will not charge while it is in data mode.

Hope this helps.

-Jean K.
jeankap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:28 PM   #20
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
So the behavior actually seems to be connectivity-dependent, rather than format dependent. My next step is to try it with the radios off.
All my tests were with Wifi Off and Airplane mode on - no connectivity...
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:58 AM   #21
jeankap
EReading Gadget Maven
jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: All of 'em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamassey View Post
The only major bug I am seeing now is the inability to use the touch screen to page forward. I can swipe from right to left to go back one page but swiping from left to right does not do anything.
I've got the swipe thing working now... It's a matter of speed and length.

Right to left should take you forward 1 page (as in turning a page from right to left). A small, fairly quick, and approximately 1.5 inch stroke in the lower right area of the touch screen works for me.

Hope this helps.
-Jean K.
jeankap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:58 AM   #22
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I've just got the swipe thing working too...yes, have to swipe quite quick.. in any area of the LCD. Swipe gently, no need to press hard on the LCD, and very small stroke also works.

Last edited by bthoven; 01-10-2010 at 11:10 PM.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:27 PM   #23
jasonkchapman
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
All my tests were with Wifi Off and Airplane mode on - no connectivity...
I tried it in airplane mode. It still works fine--right now. The only conclusion I can draw is that they designed it specifically to work at my house--with secret GPS tracking designed to make it go flakey when I leave.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:14 PM   #24
jcar302
jcar302 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeankap View Post
From the Nook User Guide:

"Your nook must be on or sleeping to charge. When your nook is off and you plug it in to charge it, your nook turns on. Do not turn it off again; it needs to be on to charge. If you are not using your nook, it will sleep and continue to charge."

The User Guide also recommends wall charging over USB charging - which is slow, and requires you to unmount the nook drives from your computer (the Unix/Mac equivalent of making a usb drive safe for removal on the PC) before it will go out of data mode. It will not charge while it is in data mode.

Hope this helps.

-Jean K.
Thanks,
That does help.
Although i find it to be kinda stupid.
Not sure why they would design it to have to be on to charge.
jcar302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:18 PM   #25
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcar302 View Post
Not sure why they would design it to have to be on to charge.
Probably because the charging control can be implemented better and more cheaply that way. This is not uncommon.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:45 AM   #26
Propheous
Connoisseur
Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook
The charging limitation is a basic function of using a USB technology to charge the device. USB does not allow transfer unless there is a valid functioning on device at both ends. I have ran into this with many usb powered devices. The ac charger for most devices has something on them that forces the device to wake up or can bypass this.
Propheous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:52 PM   #27
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
Quote:
I tried it in airplane mode. It still works fine--right now. The only conclusion I can draw is that they designed it specifically to work at my house--with secret GPS tracking designed to make it go flakey when I leave.
Well, that's been done before -- japanese-spec Nissan GT-R has no speed limiter only when GPS senses it's on a race-track. If your house is the size of the japanese race-track, I envy you.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1.1.1, bugs, defects, nook