Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-25-2009, 10:30 PM   #1
gamassey
gamassey began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Unhappy Nook Bugs in version 1.1.1

Is anyone keeping a list of the serious bugs with the Nook?

I just unpacked mine today and have noticed three very serious defects

1) Unable to download content via WiFi or AT&T (this may be due to large volume, but it is still very bad)

2) It fails to remember the last page I was reading, so every time I open the book I am reading I have to use the painfully slow page forward to get to my place.

3) Bookmarks only last until I open a new book or leave the book I placed the bookmark in. This makes the bookmarks worse than useless (since I waste time creating them)

Anyone of these defects alone would be a real showstopper and should have been caught and fixed before the software shipped, all three together makes me wonder if any testing was done at all before the update shipped.

If anyone else is having a different experience please let me know. Maybe my Nook is just broken.

Thanks,
gamassey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 11:05 PM   #2
Not_A_Crook
Which way is up?
Not_A_Crook has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook, Alphasmart Neo (word processor, Viable document reader.)
Not likely broken, but mine apparently suffered saved image corruption- I cant change the wallpaper's to other then the default ones, and only one or two custom images are accessable.

1.1.2 will hopefully notify corruption issues properly.
Not_A_Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:20 AM   #3
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Signed Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura v2, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamassey View Post
1) Unable to download content via WiFi or AT&T (this may be due to large volume, but it is still very bad)
You are right :

http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/26/n...chased-ebooks/

Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:59 PM   #4
jcar302
jcar302 began at the beginning.

The one i gave the GF doesn't goto the last page she read either.
That is a really serious issue.
Are we doing something wrong?
jcar302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 02:06 PM   #5
Diedrupo
Diedrupo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Diedrupo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Diedrupo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Diedrupo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I am not experiencing any of the issues you describe. You might want to try reapply the patch, if that's possible.
Diedrupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:34 PM   #6
gamassey
gamassey began at the beginning.

I received this message from Nook Support yesterday:

"We are aware of this problem and are working diligently to resolve it. We are working on a fix by 12:00 pm Eastern time.

Please make sure the nook has been charge for more than 4 hours.

If it has been charge for that long, then your issue has a simple fix.

Just hold the power button for 20sec no less then that, and then let it go and press it once again this will reboot the nook and your problem will be fix. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused."

The sloppy grammar of the message worries me a bit, is this the customer care we will be working with in the future?

But I have to give them credit, they did seem to fix the major problems.

The downloads are working now. This must have been a problem with the sudden surge in usage on Christmas day.

The Nook is also keeping my place in the books much better now. I still lose a bookmark occasionally but not nearly as often as before. Loosing bookmarks now seems to be related to loading content over the USB cable.

The only major bug I am seeing now is the inability to use the touch screen to page forward. I can swipe from right to left to go back one page but swiping from left to right does not do anything.

It also seems that the battery is only lasting a few days when the WiFi is turned on, but I will need to see how it does in the next week or so before I have any good data on battery life.

Overall I am very happy now that the most serious bugs have been corrected.
gamassey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:16 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamassey View Post
The sloppy grammar of the message worries me a bit, is this the customer care we will be working with in the future?

But I have to give them credit, they did seem to fix the major problems.

Glad to hear your nook is working better.

The language used indicates that its simply not the writers first language, not an indication of lack of education..

Overall, they made it clearer than some manuals I've tried to read.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:17 PM   #8
jcar302
jcar302 began at the beginning.

Not sure if this is a bug or just a problem we have, does the nook charge if you have it off?
The orange light only stays on if the nook is on, once you turn it off, it goes out. Is the orange light even the charge indicator?
jcar302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:32 AM   #9
djp24
djp24 began at the beginning.

My issue is frequently italic letters or punctuation marks at the end of sentences are cutoff. So I sometimes see 3/4 of a question mark or 1/2 of the letter "L" etc. I'm not sure if this is a 1.1.1 issue because it's the only version I've used, but I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this issue.
djp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:14 AM   #10
tuomas
tuomas began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by djp24 View Post
My issue is frequently italic letters or punctuation marks at the end of sentences are cutoff. So I sometimes see 3/4 of a question mark or 1/2 of the letter "L" etc. I'm not sure if this is a 1.1.1 issue because it's the only version I've used, but I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this issue.
I've gotten this same issue with both the 1.0.0 and 1.1.0

It's a minor quibble but I do hope they fix it.
tuomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:23 PM   #11
jwjody
jwjody began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcar302 View Post
The one i gave the GF doesn't goto the last page she read either.
That is a really serious issue.
Are we doing something wrong?
I've noticed some wonkiness with this also. SuperFreakonomics has footnotes at the end of the book in the e-version. So when I would go into SuperFreakonomics from another book my place would be lost and if I chose Furtherest Read it would take me to page 234/238 where the footnotes were. So I would have to go back to the beginning of the chapter and page forward.

The nook really needs a Go to page option or an auto bookmark feature.

I've had to force myself to bookmark a page when I stop reading.
jwjody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:58 AM   #12
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwjody View Post
I've had to force myself to bookmark a page when I stop reading.
It seems to have an easier time remembering "furthest point read" when you exit back to the home screen and just let the device go to sleep on its own, rather than turning it off. Supposedly, they're aware of the problem and a fix is coming in the soon-to-be-available firmware update. We'll see.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:20 AM   #13
tyncam
tyncam began at the beginning.

I have a similar issue with the orange light "always" staying on when the Nook is in sleep mode and it doesn't fully charge - sent a note to B & N (there was over a 30 minute hold for customer service) ... waiting to hear back from them.
tyncam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:08 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem is that AT&T's 3G is very saturated with all the iPhones. The iPhones do eat up a lot of the bandwidth and thus, you don't get much left you your nook.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:15 AM   #15
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
It seems to have an easier time remembering "furthest point read" when you exit back to the home screen and just let the device go to sleep on its own, rather than turning it off. Supposedly, they're aware of the problem and a fix is coming in the soon-to-be-available firmware update. We'll see.
What firmware version is on your nook and what type of book is this happening with?

I am running version 1.1.0 and my nook would not wake up so I had to force it to shut down. I restarted it and it went right back to where I was in my book..... This was a sideloaded PDB from Fictionwise.

I'm just wondering if the problem might be with Adobes' implementation of Epub?
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1.1.1, bugs, defects, nook