Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-16-2009, 09:32 PM   #1
lfcobra
lfcobra began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Calibre install failed

Calibre install fails near the end of install with the follow error message:

An error occurred during the installation of assembly 'Microsoft.VC90.CRT, version="9.0.21022.8",publicKeyT oken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",processorArchitecture="x86 ",type="win32"'. Please refer to Help and Support for more information.

From what i can gather from searching online this seems to be some sort of issue with Microsoft .Net installation. I've tried several solution that i found elsewhere:
uninstall all .Net then used the dotNetfix from microsoft
used registry cleaners to get rid of possible registry conflicts
one site posted a solution of renaming a system32 dll and then attempt to install the failing application

None of these solution worked and the problem still persists. I'm running Windows 7 RC (all updates installed) on a eeePC 901. I am running as administrator when trying to install Calibre. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Note: I'm trying to install the newest version available on sourceforge 6.28 i also went back to i think 6.17 thinking that might solve the problem. I also tried the development portable apps version but i get the same error message when going through the start up process of the portable app.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fail.png
Views:	472
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	41393  

Last edited by lfcobra; 12-16-2009 at 10:09 PM. Reason: updated information
lfcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:26 PM   #2
Lilio
Lilio began at the beginning.

Device: nook/BN ereader
just as an fyi, I had a problem with it also. I reinstalled it, and it seems to work better now. Would even be better if i had a clue what I was doing!
Lilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:31 PM   #3
lfcobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilio View Post
just as an fyi, I had a problem with it also. I reinstalled it, and it seems to work better now. Would even be better if i had a clue what I was doing!
My install does not complete. Once the failure occurs the installation reverts all changes done to the system so the application doesnt even install. If i try to install again the same failure will occur. I've tried installing about 10 times. Its too bad because this application looks extremely useful.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:51 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Install the MSVC runtime before installing calibre from here

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:28 AM   #5
lfcobra

I get the same error message when trying to install MSVC runtime except it identifies the error as "Error 1935". So obviously this is not a calibre issue. Hopefully I'll get something figured out as I'd really like to use this software.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:52 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfcobra View Post
I get the same error message when trying to install MSVC runtime except it identifies the error as "Error 1935". So obviously this is not a calibre issue. Hopefully I'll get something figured out as I'd really like to use this software.
Try disabling your Anti-Virus software long enough to install MSVC.
Caution: Use only a version you downloaded from Microsoft (or other KNOWN source), your safety net is on break.

Re-enable the A/V soonest.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:42 PM   #7
lfcobra

I have no 3rd party antivirus software installed and i have disabled the built in Windows Defender and installation results in the same error message.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:01 PM   #8
lfcobra

Just thought I'd post a quick update about my issue. After doing further research on my problem I found out that it was going to be extremely difficult if not impossible to track down the specific issue which was causing my problem. Mainly because I didnt want to deal with the headaches i knew that would cause i just did a quick reinstall of windows 7 and then the first 3rd party app i installed was calibre and had no issues whatsoever. Have been using it for the past several days and have to say it is exactly what i had hoped for! Excellent way to organize and correctly tag all of my ebooks!

So i guess long story short, reinstall your OS if you cant install calibre? Thats horrible advice! Try to find an alternate solution but if this is the only one that works i promise calibre is worth it.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:22 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yeah the thing that most annoyed me about windows when I used to use it was how difficult it was to track down the cause of a problem. I used to often just give up and re-install.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre install fail