Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-28-2012, 12:38 AM   #16
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Oh... Also, I mean to ask... where do you get a Galaxy Player 5? It sounds perfect. I have been looking at 7" tablets but really, I think they would be a bit big for my purposes.. also been looking at the Note, but I would never use the phone part so its a bit of a wasted expense...

I dont even think its been released in Australia, but I could be wrong... in the meantime... what's the best source?
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:58 AM   #17
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I prefer audiobooks over ebooks. I'd rather listen than read.

My favorite book device is my Clip Zip. Always with me.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:41 AM   #18
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Me too (re audiobooks) anyway... I'm completely off getting an Android tablet for reading my Kindle books. The Kindle app on Android is crippled to hell. The iOS version is way way ahead of it. God knows what Amazon is doing, but its not pretty.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:56 AM   #19
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
@ kf
It isn't speedreading in my case.
Never learned or practiced such methods, so I am not "loosing" or overlooking content during visual perception. It's plainly "higher speed due to practice"
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:28 PM   #20
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I prefer audiobooks over ebooks. I'd rather listen than read.

My favorite book device is my Clip Zip. Always with me.
Can't find the thread where we were discussing Amazon App store and being able to load the app I paid for on the Kindle Fire HD, and to load it to the SGP5. But anyway I loaded the Amazon App on my SGP5 and signed on, but there is no place to find your paid for apps.

I send an email to Amazon, unfortunately they didn't understand the question.

What is going on? It seems you can't pay for an app and use it on 2 devices?

Thanks.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:56 PM   #21
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
Can't find the thread where we were discussing Amazon App store and being able to load the app I paid for on the Kindle Fire HD, and to load it to the SGP5. But anyway I loaded the Amazon App on my SGP5 and signed on, but there is no place to find your paid for apps.

I send an email to Amazon, unfortunately they didn't understand the question.

What is going on? It seems you can't pay for an app and use it on 2 devices?

Thanks.
Um, I use my Amazon apps on two devices, so yes, that is possible. Though I think all I have are free apps on Amazon. Open the Amazon app store app, hit the "menu" button on the player, then an option to see "My Apps" should appear. Works very similarly to how you view your all your apps from Google Play.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:07 PM   #22
new
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Um, I use my Amazon apps on two devices, so yes, that is possible. Though I think all I have are free apps on Amazon. Open the Amazon app store app, hit the "menu" button on the player, then an option to see "My Apps" should appear. Works very similarly to how you view your all your apps from Google Play.
Thank you! I had no idea. Now I have my paid app Screen Dim, but the trial Screen Dim is still there. I drag it to remove, 3 times, and it is still there. I have two screen dims show on notifications.

Help please.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:46 PM   #23
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Thank you! I had no idea. Now I have my paid app Screen Dim, but the trial Screen Dim is still there. I drag it to remove, 3 times, and it is still there. I have two screen dims show on notifications.

Help please.
You need to uninstall the app:
  • open Applications
  • open Menu
  • if you're in List view, click Grid view, open Menu, click Edit
  • if you're in Grid view, click Edit
  • now look for the app you want to uninstall and click it
  • a window opens: Delete - This application will be deleted - OK / Cancel
  • click OK
  • open Menu
  • click Save
The app is now permanently off your Galaxy, but still available in the cloud.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #24
new

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
You need to uninstall the app:
  • open Applications
  • open Menu
  • if you're in List view, click Grid view, open Menu, click Edit
  • if you're in Grid view, click Edit
  • now look for the app you want to uninstall and click it
  • a window opens: Delete - This application will be deleted - OK / Cancel
  • click OK
  • open Menu
  • click Save
The app is now permanently off your Galaxy, but still available in the cloud.
Thanks Tubemonkey, I finally figured that out. I just thought the Screen Dim paid version would replace and knock out the trial version, lol. Why is there an option to hold down an App and drag it to Remove and it doesn't remove?

I did drag all of my music and videos to the 32gb sd card I got, thanks Tubemonkey for the heads up on the $16 sd card from Amazon. This is a fun little gadget.

My next project is to figure out how to take my Audible books and make them smaller. I was able to take some Apps and move them to the ext sd card, but Audible was not one of them. I make them huge because I was going to burn them to CD to free them. But never figured out how.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:55 AM   #25
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Oh... Also, I mean to ask... where do you get a Galaxy Player 5? It sounds perfect. I have been looking at 7" tablets but really, I think they would be a bit big for my purposes.. also been looking at the Note, but I would never use the phone part so its a bit of a wasted expense...

I dont even think its been released in Australia, but I could be wrong... in the meantime... what's the best source?
Amazon is where I got mine. They were on sale but now probably back to full price. I paid full price but to me it was well worth it.

I listen to fiction audiobooks. I could not even begin to listen to non fiction. The audiobooks I listen to use a voice actor who acts out the parts. I use to think I could never listen to audiobooks it would put me to sleep but then I discovered. Ms. Lorelei King. I never knew audiobooks could be some entertaining. Now I have a library full of them with similar narrators. I love it! If you need an audiobook to speed up then you have a bad narrator because I good one will keep you entertain for hours.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:48 AM   #26
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Amazon is where I got mine. They were on sale but now probably back to full price. I paid full price but to me it was well worth it.

I listen to fiction audiobooks. I could not even begin to listen to non fiction. The audiobooks I listen to use a voice actor who acts out the parts. I use to think I could never listen to audiobooks it would put me to sleep but then I discovered. Ms. Lorelei King. I never knew audiobooks could be some entertaining. Now I have a library full of them with similar narrators. I love it! If you need an audiobook to speed up then you have a bad narrator because I good one will keep you entertain for hours.
Hi Blossom-
What is your source of audiobooks? I listen to some from audible.com, on my Galaxy Player 5.0, but that gets to be expensive.

I'm seeing the Galaxy Player 5.0 selling for $190 in several places. Some are now showing "out of stock". I guess that mea
ns the Galaxy Player 5.8 is on the way.

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:42 PM   #27
new

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
Hi Blossom-
What is your source of audiobooks? I listen to some from audible.com, on my Galaxy Player 5.0, but that gets to be expensive.

I'm seeing the Galaxy Player 5.0 selling for $190 in several places. Some are now showing "out of stock". I guess that mea

Regards - John
I got the SGP5 at Amazon also. I am about out of a contract with Audible. I won't be renewing. The size is too big and eats up too much space on a player. I found out you can't covert to mp3 without taking months to convert on a CD one hour at time.

Library is a great source for audiobooks.

I got the GPS case yesterday Blossom and Gracyn recommended, nice little unit. The SMP5 could slip out, but I went ahead and ordered the TPU that Blossom told me about on Amazon. If anyone is interested I can put a link. It is a non-Amazon purchase, but I hope it will work out. I don't do Ebay.

When you power down the SMP5 it buzzes. I turn all notification noises off including buzzing. Not sure why it does that. But anyway Screen Dim goes back to being bright. Is that normal Blossom or any other SMP user? I also can't get the Screen Dim to work like it does on KFHD. Blossom told us how to make it show up in a book or something so you can see how the brightness is.

Too many questions

Last edited by new; 12-01-2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:56 PM   #28
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I got the SGP5 at Amazon also. I am about out of a contract with Audible. I won't be renewing. The size is too big and eats up too much space on a player. I found out you can't covert to mp3 without taking months to convert on a CD one hour at time.

Library is a great source for audiobooks.

I got the GPS case yesterday Blossom and someone else recommended, nice little unit. The SMP5 could slip out, but I went ahead and ordered the TPU that Blossom told me about on Amazon. If anyone is interested I can put a link. It is a non-Amazon purchase, but I hope it will work out. I don't do Ebay.

When you power down the SMP5 it buzzes. I turn all notification noises off including buzzing. Not sure why it does that. But anyway Screen Dim goes back to being bright. Is that normal Blossom or any other SMP user? I also can't get the Screen Dim to work like it does on KFHD. Blossom told us how to make it show up in a book or something so you can see how the brightness is.

Too many questions
You don't need to download all Audibles. I just download what I listen to. There is no download limit. It's a cloud base app so no need to fill all that space. Even if your membership runs out you still have access to all purchased titles so no need to convert to mp3. There is an easier way to convert to MP3 from audible but the sound quality is not to my liking. I like stereo and all other Audible formats are mono except Enhanced format.

It's suppose to vibrate when shutting down. This is standard even with smart phones. It's to alert you it's turning off. Perfectly normal.

There is no compact mode for Screen Dim on SGP5. Screen Dim also wont go below default minimum brightness. To get it dark enough to read at night I turn the brightness all the way down and put the Contrast on 70%. This works pretty good for me. I add this to a preset then put the preset shortcut on my home screen to activate it. I also add the shortcut on my home screen to deactivate it. I wish I could do that on the Kindle Fire!
Old 12-01-2012, 11:00 PM   #29
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
Hi Blossom-

Regards - John
I have an audible membership. I take advantage of the those buy 3 credits for $35 deals and all those $4.95 or two for 1 sales plus those buy 4 get $10 free. I got a $20 credit coming to me. So paying $22.95 a month is not expensive to me at for 2 credits.

I get most of my Audiobooks from my library through Overdrive. Some are in MP3 and those will work on Android tablets. For WMA version I use my Sansa Clip Zip.

It's out of stock because of Black Friday. They will get them again. They've been selling these for a few years now. The 5.8 is coming out though I think it's too big.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:25 PM   #30
new

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
You don't need to download all Audibles. I just download what I listen to. There is no download limit. It's a cloud base app so no need to fill all that space. Even if your membership runs out you still have access to all purchased titles so no need to convert to mp3. There is an easier way to convert to MP3 from audible but the sound quality is not to my liking. I like stereo and all other Audible formats are mono except Enhanced format.

It's suppose to vibrate when shutting down. This is standard even with smart phones. It's to alert you it's turning off. Perfectly normal.

There is no compact mode for Screen Dim on SGP5. Screen Dim also wont go below default minimum brightness. To get it dark enough to read at night I turn the brightness all the way down and put the Contrast on 70%. This works pretty good for me. I add this to a preset then put the preset shortcut on my home screen to activate it. I also add the shortcut on my home screen to deactivate it. I wish I could do that on the Kindle Fire!
Thanks Blossom, thought I had something messed up on the Screen Dim where is my compact mode. Too bad I liked it. Thanks I will fix my presets. It is normal for Screen Dim to go off when you power down the SMP5? I would rather it stayed dim.

Do you turn yours off ever? I do cause I am just not use to everything yet. I plan to listen to audiobooks and just pause on the headphone, will that use up power?

Blossom can you tell me what Apps you have on your SMP5? Is it the same as your KF? I sure wish Amazon would update Mantano App, I prefer buying form them. They refund you if you mess up ordering something that isn't compatible. Did that with the KFHD.

Thanks Blossom.

Last edited by new; 12-12-2012 at 12:16 PM.