Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-03-2012, 07:13 AM   #16
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
It's also happening for me on a book purchased directly from Amazon and never touched by anything external (such as Calibre).
Yeah, my Fire HD, PW and phone won't sync to each other at all using an Amazon bought book that was downloaded directly to each over wifi.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:00 AM   #17
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Morning update: still happening sporadically. Some of my pdocs are fine. My 'pristine' Amazon-retail test book for today's test (a copy of Game of Thrones, as it happens) will not sync across the PW and one of my iOS installs (my two test devices at the moment). I try paging ahead on one, forcing the device to sync, then loading the book on the other. It doesn't auto-sync, and the two devices basically do not admit the other exists if I force another sync; they only admit that my prior standalone kindle existed.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:13 AM   #18
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I'll jump into this fray with this:

In the past week I have side-loaded non-Amazon books using ES File Explorer onto my FireHD - they load as documents - and display the generic white cover on the Document tab but show their covers on the carousel.

Last night when I turned on the FireHD, it was very sluggish and would stop with nothing displayed on the screen -- I thought I might be getting the promised software update (to removed the suggested purchases) so I hit the Sync button a couple of times and let it go back to sleep for a while.
Note: I had purchased several Amazon books that day - but none showed up on the carousel - even after hitting the Sync button.

When I turned it on again, I was still on the same software version. The non-Amazon book covers were on the carousel. When I went to the Documents tab, I had 2 copies of each non-Amazon book, one of which was marked as "New" - so I deleted the older copy to see what would happen. A couple of seconds later - the "New" copy deleted itself too!
When I went back to the Home screen, my new Amazon purchases were now displayed.

I have no idea what was going on -- but from all the other reports, I think Amazon must be tinkering with the "Sync" function.
I wonder if the Fire sync problems are related to the change in the new Android version - which has caused many problems with calibre, and with being recognized when attached to a PC using a USB cable - since the FireHD is now recognized as a Media Device, not as an external USB drive. Amazon may have to tinker the Sync software to accommodate different types of drives (maybe)?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:18 AM   #19
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
For informational purposes, I usually get my pdocs into the Cloud via emailing my @kindle.com address. Is there another way to get Pdocs to sync?
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:19 AM   #20
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The unsyncable Whispersync. Sounds like a bad country song!
More like "The Unsyncable Molly Brown."
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:14 AM   #21
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Which file(s) contains sync info ?

Hi All
Congrats with your new readers
Hope most of you are happy with it.

I'm not allowed yet to buy, I'm patient to let you do the testing

One question: How does the PW with FW (5.2.0 ?) keep track of your reading status, annotations etc. ?
Will OLD mobi still be tracked in a mbp file, new KF8 in a han file, or ?
Why ? I'm an addict having Calibre doing a "Fetch Annotations" from my K3 to update automagically a custom column in Calibre with read status.
Just wondering.
Now, go

Cheers,
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:42 PM   #22
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Contact Amazon let them know so they can fix it!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:27 PM   #23
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Last night when I turned on the FireHD, it was very sluggish and would stop with nothing displayed on the screen -- I thought I might be getting the promised software update (to removed the suggested purchases) so I hit the Sync button a couple of times and let it go back to sleep for a while.
Note: I had purchased several Amazon books that day - but none showed up on the carousel - even after hitting the Sync button.

When I turned it on again, I was still on the same software version. The non-Amazon book covers were on the carousel. When I went to the Documents tab, I had 2 copies of each non-Amazon book, one of which was marked as "New" - so I deleted the older copy to see what would happen. A couple of seconds later - the "New" copy deleted itself too!
When I went back to the Home screen, my new Amazon purchases were now displayed.

I have no idea what was going on -- but from all the other reports, I think Amazon must be tinkering with the "Sync" function.
I wonder if the Fire sync problems are related to the change in the new Android version - which has caused many problems with calibre, and with being recognized when attached to a PC using a USB cable - since the FireHD is now recognized as a Media Device, not as an external USB drive. Amazon may have to tinker the Sync software to accommodate different types of drives (maybe)?
Restarting my Kindle Fire fix it for me. It took two tries but so far so good. I did restart the Fire in the past days but I think they finally fixed something last night or one of the servers is kaput and when you get that one it does nothing. In the past I have gotten one server where all covers shows up, another server where no covers show up and now it seems a server that doesn't sync at all.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:29 PM   #24
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
For informational purposes, I usually get my pdocs into the Cloud via emailing my @kindle.com address. Is there another way to get Pdocs to sync?
No that's the only way to sync notes, highlights, bookmarks...etc. It's what I use and it works well usually.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #25
wynand32
Enthusiast
wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Just got a free moment to try things out today, and it appears that whatever was broken is fixed now. Last page synced, bookmarks, notes, etc., now sync perfectly across all of my devices, including the PW.

Whew!
wynand32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:02 PM   #26
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
Just got a free moment to try things out today, and it appears that whatever was broken is fixed now. Last page synced, bookmarks, notes, etc., now sync perfectly across all of my devices, including the PW.

Whew!
Amazon is pretty quick to fix WS when it breaks if they are alerted to the problem.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:46 PM   #27
wynand32
Enthusiast
wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Amazon is pretty quick to fix WS when it breaks if they are alerted to the problem.
I like to think it was my 45 minutes on the phone with them yesterday that did the trick.
wynand32 is offline   Reply With Quote