Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 01-27-2010, 01:42 PM   #31
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Yep, I'm going to mail it tomorrow. I spoke with Ectaco's tech support dept. this morning. She said they would have it three business days.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:00 PM   #32
gr8npwrfl
The Wizard of OZ
gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Ipod Touch Wind Netbook
Your dating yourself

Kralik,

You dating yourself, I have not heard anyone use that term in a long time.

Great term tho BORKED !
gr8npwrfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2010, 10:42 AM   #33
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Update:

I mailed it to Ectaco this morning. I'll report back when I receive what they send me - whether it is my device fixed or a new device.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:10 AM   #34
Linda!
Enthusiast
Linda! has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Jetbook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Last night my rechargeable batteries ran down, so I replaced them with a set of new ones.

Tonight I was reading a book which came included with the device (The Triumphs of Eugene Valmont), and it stopped working. It would not advance the page, it would not return to the file level, and it would not turn off.

So I took out a battery, reinserted it, and tried again. When I removed the battery, the unit shut off. It turned on without difficulty. However, it would not proceed from the boot-up screen.

So I removed the new batch of batteries, and replaced them with the prior batch, which I had recharged overnight.

Still the same problem. It turns on OK, but will not advance from the boot-up screen and will not turn off.

Any ideas?
This has now happened to my JB Lite. When I turn it on, it goes to the first screen, that says JETBOOK LITE" and freezes. I've tried all the steps outlined here and nothing works. I've had the JBL for about a week and everything was fine until now.
Linda! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:59 PM   #35
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

The first day I really missed not having my device to read. But now I'm OK. Whatever they do, repair or replace, I hope they do it right the first time, and that I will have it back for good and carefree forever.
Advert
Old 01-30-2010, 01:31 PM   #36
wackywalt
wackywalt began at the beginning.

Device: jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda! View Post
This has now happened to my JB Lite. When I turn it on, it goes to the first screen, that says JETBOOK LITE" and freezes. I've tried all the steps outlined here and nothing works. I've had the JBL for about a week and everything was fine until now.
Linda, were you using rechargables like GA Russell?
I'm on the regular Alkalines that came with the reader and barely had mine for a week. Just wondering if there is a common issue here.
wackywalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:49 PM   #37
Linda!
Enthusiast

Yes, I was using rechargeable batteries. They were Duracell brand batteries that I had recently charged. I was reading a book when the screen froze. Unable to do anything I took my batteries out and replaced them and now cant get past the initial screen, the one that says JETBOOK LITE.

I heard from Ectaco who told me to reflash with the latest firmware update. I attempted that but my JBL just goes to the initial JETBOOK LITE screen and freezes.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:58 AM   #38
dkarale
dkarale began at the beginning.

Device: EZreader PP, PDA, WM Smart Phone, UMPC, Netbook
Linda, did you try to recharge the batteries and try it again? Or try to replace with a new set of brand new regular Alkalines batteries? See it that works.

Last edited by dkarale; 02-01-2010 at 11:01 AM.
dkarale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:11 PM   #39
Linda!
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkarale View Post
Linda, did you try to recharge the batteries and try it again? Or try to replace with a new set of brand new regular Alkalines batteries? See it that works.
Yes, I tried both. Also tried loading the newest firmware update. The same result happened, it freezes on the initial screen. Ectaco told me to return the unit to them for exchange. Im thinking that maybe there was a batch of JBL's produced that were defective or something went bad inside them.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:24 PM   #40
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several

Quote:
When this occasionally happens with my jetBook (NON-lite), I have to plug in the AC charger on my Reader.

This cures the issue(s).

Don
My jetbook (non-lite) froze up last night and this worked for me.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:11 PM   #41
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

I just now received my jetBook Lite from Ectaco! Considering that I mailed it a week ago today, that seems pretty prompt to me.

I forgot to make note of the serial number until after it was already packed and ready to go. This appears to be a different unit.

I'll put it through its paces tonight and report back.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:42 PM   #42
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Yes, I received a new unit, with a fresh set of batteries and a new USB cord.

It has firmware 0.15 v15.

I've just finished reading the sixth short story of The Triumphs of Eugene Valmont (included with the device), and there were no problems.

So I'm happy.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:02 PM   #43
clerky96
Connoisseur
clerky96 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Glad to hear they got your new jbl to you so quickly.
clerky96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:10 AM   #44
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

I notice that the slider on my replacement device, while still firm, is not as difficult as my old one was.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:35 PM   #45
TheBard
Bifocal Wearer
TheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Touch, Aura, Clara ...
My JBL froze last night, but I may have found a possible solution.

History:
JBL with rechargeable batteries. Battery indicator showed 4 bars ("full") for a couple of days, then dropped to 3 bars.
Reading an ebook last night, and battery indicator changed from 3 bars to 2 bars (half empty/full)
A minute or two later, the screen blanked. The low battery warning was NOT visible at any time.

Early attempts to fix:
1. Tried turning JBL ON with same batteries. No luck.
Replaced batteries with a set of Alkalines, and tried turning ON. No luck.

2. Depressed and released RESET button, and tried turning ON again. No luck.
Held down ON button for several seconds. Jetbook 1st screen appeared, and LED illuminated (steadily). JBL did not boot after several minutes. (This seems to be the appearance seen by previous posters)

3. Temporarily removed batteries, and reinserted same Alkalines. Depressed & released RESET button. Held down Right Arrow button and ON button. Message appeared that firmware was not able to be updated.

3. Removed SD card, inserted SD card with firmware, repeated firmware load sequence (step 2, above). LED went ON, and blinked intermittently. After a fairly short time (minute or two), JBL rebooted and showed the normal three choices! Success!

4. Replaced firmware SD card with card containing books, replaced Alkalines with freshly-charged rechargeable. Turned JBL ON. "Books" graphic eventually appeared, and after a while, the normal three choice screen appeared. Success again! My bookmarks were preserved as well!

Hypothesis:
The discharge curve of NiMH rechargeables is different than that of Alkalines. Also, NiMH provide 1.2 volts per cell, rather than the 1.5 volts provided by Alkalines. This may have "confused" the battery meter, and allowed the JBL to shut down because of insufficient power.

Will keep checking, and see if it happens again at the 1/2 charge point.

Conclusion:
The "reinstall firmware fix" worked, at least in this case. In some cases it might take a fairly long time to reinstall the firmware, and the Jetbook first page may be the only thing on the screen. You might take note of LED activity. If it blinks occasionally, the SD card with firmware IS being read.
TheBard is offline   Reply With Quote