Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-12-2009, 06:47 PM   #1
munakuppi
munakuppi began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Opus, Sony Reader PRS-600, iPhone 3Gs, Broken Irex iLiad 1.0
PocketBook 360: correct size?

Hi all!

I've been trying to print a lifesize picture of the 360 but the wiki has some weird numbers.

When i scale the picture to the given height on the wikipage the width is too wide and if i scale to the given width the height is too small.
Neither of them gives a printout with a 5" screen.

So now I have been measuring and calculating to a height and width to approximately 145 x 123 mm and a 5" screen
But this is based on measurements on the paperprint so the numbers can bee off the ballpark all together...

If someone can give the right numbers it will make comparing much easier when physical copy is an impossibility.

All the best/
TH
munakuppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:02 PM   #2
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Here maybe these can help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0668.JPG
Views:	563
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	39058   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0669.JPG
Views:	556
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	39059   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0670.JPG
Views:	565
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	39060  
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2009, 07:18 PM   #3
munakuppi

Thanx Dublin
Looks like I got at least close enough.

Could you repeat the first two measurements but with the ruler on the middle of the device?
The curvature of the device and slight camera angle makes it hard to see accurately... (sorry if i sound like a nag, measurement is all i do at work)

But those pictures already confirms that the wiki-page is way off.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:28 AM   #4
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
thanks the gawds I am not in the ebook business...it's bad enough dealing with women and the designer and antique jewelry I sell. Some weeks I really want to just sell it all as scrap. Then I take a deep breath and offer more info even though...oh, never mind, I am just cranky this AM....hehehehe...because you make an excellent point that the PB site needs to take some images for the site showing the size relative to other books we know. My take is the 360 looks to be about the overall size of a trade paperback give or take a bit.

Here is a post showing the 360 relative to the Sony Pocket Edition and the 360 is smaller overall but has the same size display. Of course this only helps if you can find images showing the size of the Sony relative to other familiar objects.

My suggestion is to simply draw out a figure on a piece of paper using the measurements of the device given on http://pocketbookreader.com and if you do deal with measurements all day, I see no reason you can't get a feel from there. But don't feel badly, my spacial sense is not always good either.

If I find a shot somewhere with something in reference I will come along and post it for ya!!
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:30 AM   #5
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
here this should help...there is bound to be a reference image that helps you out!! Took a few seconds using Google...

http://images.google.com/images?sour...ed=0CB0QsAQwAA

Here are a bunch of videos on YouTuve showing the PB 360 where you can also get a feel for the size based on average hand sizes. Still not a lot, if any, shots relative to print books we already are familar with...weird...but I bet a review out there somewhere does show it....

http://video.google.com/videosearch?...ab=iv&start=0#

Last edited by brecklundin; 11-13-2009 at 09:42 AM.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2009, 10:07 AM   #6
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
Here it is, pardon for iPhone picture:

Name:	PB360_size.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	39107
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:13 AM   #7
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
A CD case matches pretty well although the PocketBook 360 is a little thicker/deeper

The first is the 360 on top of the CD case
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0671.JPG
Views:	503
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	39110   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0672.JPG
Views:	545
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	39111   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0673.JPG
Views:	524
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	39112  
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:23 PM   #8
gpsygirl
gpsygirl began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
The CD case comparison is super helpful, thanks for posting that!
gpsygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:15 AM   #9
munakuppi

Dublin:
Thnx! that last CD-case picture is very good because its as perpendicular as freehand pictures are possible.

What most people miss is that perpendicularity is a must in comparison pictures or its just an approximation level measurement... it gives a feel for the size difference and it is for some good enough. I'm trying to make some mockups and the more precise sizes I get the more realistic will the comparison be...

A sidenote about ocular measurement... to avoid parallax error use biggest zoom one can get, zoom in and place object for measurement as far it needs to be to just fill the whole image. And if its possible, use biggest depth-of-field (apperture setting).

then again no ruler-based ocular measurement is ever as accurate as a pair of average calipers...
Old 11-20-2009, 12:13 PM   #10
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by munakuppi View Post
then again no ruler-based ocular measurement is ever as accurate as a pair of average calipers...
You should have told us that you need digital caliper precision. Let me get mine ...

... So.
Without cover:
height 145.12mm
width 123.37mm
Thickness 12.01 mm
Screen width: 76.37mm
Screen height: 101.60mm

With cover:
Height 146.17mm
Width 123.47mm
Thickness 14.82mm,
there is metallic looking PocketBook logo at the top of the cover and the thickness at the top of the logo is 15.49mm
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:53 PM   #11
munakuppi

Kacir:
Amazing, you 're the best.

Sorry, don't need caliper precision... it was just a comparison in measurement accuracy... Then again if someone wants to donate me a device I can take it to work and measure it in our koordinate-measuring machine (Zeiss Prismo 10 with a scanning VAST head). Accuracy is 1microns at the length of four meters
Old 11-28-2009, 02:33 AM   #12
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by munakuppi View Post
Then again if someone wants to donate me a device I can take it to work and measure it in our koordinate-measuring machine (Zeiss Prismo 10 with a scanning VAST head). Accuracy is 1microns at the length of four meters
Well, to be honest, you shouldn't take the last digit of my measurements very seriously, and I should have stated that the accuracy of that thing is somewhere around plusminus 0.02mm.
But I was lazy to unpack my trusty, very old-fashioned, mechanical micrometer.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote