Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-20-2009, 06:18 AM   #1
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360°, BeBook (Hanlin V3), iRex DR1000S, iPad
Changing Mobi fonts on iRex DR1000S

Hi fellow eReaders,

I have browsed through this forum and can't seem to find an answer, so I'll ask the question straight up:

Can I install additional fonts on my DR1000S to use in the Mobi Reader? I have found reading Mobi books that I have a huge selection of font size choices, but am stuck with Arial as a font and can find no other choice. Is it possible to maybe place some TTF fonts in a /fonts folder (or a similarly simple install) such that they are recognised by the Mobi reader?

I am running firmware 1.6 (latest) and I have also installed the FBReader 0.10.2 (which I beleive can read Mobi - so maybe I should use that?).

I usually use my BeBook for eBook reading (much smaller/lighter for travel) and keep the DR1000 at the office for A4 PDFs, etc., so I haven't hit this issue before with Mobi. But the Mobi reader on the DR1000 is nicer than the BeBook (current) implementation, and the BeBook also has some issues with books that have images (e.g. historical books with photos, novels with maps like "The Hobbit").

Thanks in advance for any help.

orwell2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:49 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by orwell2k View Post
I have also installed the FBReader 0.10.2 (which I beleive can read Mobi - so maybe I should use that?).
FBReader can read DRM-free MOBIs that don't have high compression. It can typically use any font installed on the device (preferences/cogwheel -> styles). The script mobidedrm.py can strip the DRM on your desktop, and the few ebooks with high compression can be converted to ePub (for FBReader) using Calibre.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2009, 08:14 AM   #3
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360°, BeBook (Hanlin V3), iRex DR1000S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
FBReader can read DRM-free MOBIs that don't have high compression. It can typically use any font installed on the device (preferences/cogwheel -> styles). The script mobidedrm.py can strip the DRM on your desktop, and the few ebooks with high compression can be converted to ePub (for FBReader) using Calibre.
I've tried the non-Huff compressed Mobi books and they're fine, but as you say the Huff-compressed books have a problem in FBReader (at least I'm assuming that's why some won't open). Good point about using Calibre to make them into ePub books - I'll give that a try. I may even just stick to my FB2 conversions, but I wanted to be able use the links and footnotes already formatted into the Mobi files.

I was hoping there was a simple way to expand the fonts in the iRex provided Mobi reader, but my searches seem to be fruitless. C'est la vie...
orwell2k is offline   Reply With Quote