Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-26-2007, 09:58 AM   #46
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post
Not necessarily. But part of the value of the book is that when you are done reading it, you can do more with it than just throw it away.

That's especially true when the book is a nice hardcover - which is what eBooks are priced at today.
Can you tell me where I can buy nice hardcovers for $5-6, please? That's what I'm paying for virtually all my e-Books.

Thanks!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:10 AM   #47
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
Essentially, they treat reversion of the e-Rights and the paper rights quite separately.
As well they should, in my opinion. For the author, non-exclusivity is at least as good as, if not better than, a firm reversion point.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2007, 10:21 AM   #48
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
No attempt to hold onto paper rights when they're not selling, even if the e-Book sells like hot-cakes. And, since the e-Rights are non-exclusive, authors are free to sell those rights elsewhere too (starting right away). Essentially, they treat reversion of the e-Rights and the paper rights quite separately.

That might be true for Baen, but I don't believe it is an industry wide phenomenon. I believe that Harlequin's e-rights are quite punitive to the author and S&S wanted to stage a rights grab similar to what Harlequin has had. There was much discussion of the S&S "rights grab" over the late spring. There are also different royalty rates for some authors for ebook sales and print sales. You are right that ebook and print sales are treated differently.

I.e., some authors are resistant to ebook sales because those sales are not reported to any of the major bestseller lists and thus ebook sales can hurt an authors' chances of getting on those lists (which is hugely important and not simply because of the recognition but because being on the list can propel sales).

I also haven't seen any publisher, outside of Baen, purchase non-exclusive rights to ebooks, particularly the epublishers. Where would their profit be then?
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:57 PM   #49
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane View Post
...for the most part, most books that are on the NYT list are also in ebook format.
Quote:
...some authors are resistant to ebook sales because those sales are not reported to any of the major bestseller lists and thus ebook sales can hurt an authors' chances of getting on those lists (which is hugely important and not simply because of the recognition but because being on the list can propel sales).
These statements together piqued my interest: They suggest the publishers are pushing e-books, but they are not pushing recognition of them (in NYT lists, for example), which seems strange, because increased recognition would get them increased prestige, sales, etc. Seems like they are simply doing it to establish a market that they don't really want to promote, but do want to control.

They also suggest that although authors may be resistant to e-books, they are apparently being "convinced" by the pubs to play ball, even though it may not benefit them.

Clear signs that it's still considered better to be inside the Publishing Castle, no matter the bowing and scraping you are forced to do, than being among the peasants (like myself, for instance) on the outside.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:16 PM   #50
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Can you tell me where I can buy nice hardcovers for $5-6, please? That's what I'm paying for virtually all my e-Books.

Thanks!
The remainder rack at Barnes & Noble. Usually cheaper than the mass market paperback that was just released that sent them to the remainder rack.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2007, 01:17 PM   #51
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmmm. Bit far for me to travel, unfortunately, but thanks .
Old 09-26-2007, 01:17 PM   #52
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
That might be true for Baen, but I don't believe it is an industry wide phenomenon. I believe that Harlequin's e-rights are quite punitive to the author and S&S wanted to stage a rights grab similar to what Harlequin has had. There was much discussion of the S&S "rights grab" over the late spring. There are also different royalty rates for some authors for ebook sales and print sales. You are right that ebook and print sales are treated differently.
I remember much fuss over the S&S "rights grab" in the spring. I also remember thinking that it indicated that S&S didn't really get it yet.

Quote:
I.e., some authors are resistant to ebook sales because those sales are not reported to any of the major bestseller lists and thus ebook sales can hurt an authors' chances of getting on those lists (which is hugely important and not simply because of the recognition but because being on the list can propel sales).

I also haven't seen any publisher, outside of Baen, purchase non-exclusive rights to ebooks, particularly the epublishers. Where would their profit be then?
Not being reported to any of the major bestseller lists is an issue. Of course, the NYT bestseller list doesn't use anything that even resembles a statistical sampling of sales. They gather non-audited reports from a basket of booksellers they've chosen, with a definite emphasis away from any "genre fiction" (e.g. SF/Fantasy, Romance, Westerns, etc.). They're ripe for the kind of revolution that cash-register scanning brought to the music business. Remember when Country music "suddenly" took over the pop charts? That was due to a switch from NYT-style reporting to actual data from cash registers.

I'm sure that it would be easy for sellers of electronic books to report to any of the bestseller lists that would be willing to take their reports. Certainly Baen & Fictionwise must already collect the necessary information in order to pay royalties...

As for ePublishers taking non-exclusive rights. Well, in addition to Baen, there's Fictionwise and Sony (at least) who do that. Of course Fictionwise and Sony aren't publishers, they're retailers.

Baen switched to non-exclusive rights partly to do an end-run around the problem of e-sales and rights reversions, and partly because Eric Flint challenged Jim Baen to "put his money where his mouth is" and really demonstrate that his low-cost no-DRM model is the winner -- by letting authors sell their books to other vendors who are clueless (by comparison) and see what happens.

So far, the word is that authors get a better per-copy royalty from Fictionwise (they say), but the royalty checks from Baen for e-sales are MUCH larger in aggregate.

If you want a bunch of the low-down on these issues, go read Eric Flint's essays on copyright and digital publishing at Jim Baen's Universe. They're archived in full (and free!) at Baen's Columns Archive.
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:41 PM   #53
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageReader View Post
The remainder rack at Barnes & Noble. Usually cheaper than the mass market paperback that was just released that sent them to the remainder rack.
And timing is all. Tor learned the hard way about remaindering the hardcover editions of Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series at the same time they issued the mass market PB.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:04 PM   #54
Aenea
Zealot
Aenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post
So you would rather pay $15 for a DRMed eBook that can only be read for a short time and cannot be resold/given away, then pay $10 for a paper book that be read for a long time and can be resold/given away?
Well, this thread was about e-harlequin and they really do not sell ebooks for $15. Their ebooks are cheaper than the pbooks. For a Dutch copy of one of their Intrige books I pay 3.15 euros, an e version in English is $3.99 which is actually cheaper. Will I buy the p versions now? Nope, will buy the cheaper ebooks...

I really do understand you problems with DRM, heck, I didn't write that mobi utility for nothing, but not every thread is about DRM and how expensive they are. If I want to have an ebook and it's above $8 I'll pass and I'll wait...

Aenea
Aenea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:14 PM   #55
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
Of course, the NYT bestseller list doesn't use anything that even resembles a statistical sampling of sales. They gather non-audited reports from a basket of booksellers they've chosen, with a definite emphasis away from any "genre fiction" (e.g. SF/Fantasy, Romance, Westerns, etc.).
So, I guess the Times' bestseller list is ... just about as accurate as their news reporting, then.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 04:31 PM   #56
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The used book store. You know, the thing that cannot exist in the eBook world without DRM.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 05:10 PM   #57
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Ouch. Walked right into that one.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:07 AM   #58
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aenea View Post

I really do understand you problems with DRM, heck, I didn't write that mobi utility for nothing
What is it?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:49 AM   #59
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The one that got her site shut down and nasty letters from lawyers.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:57 AM   #60
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Oh, it means she found a way to break MobilePocket DRM?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote