Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-23-2013, 02:06 AM   #16
linux.kobo.user
linux.kobo.user began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Maybe somebody should write a walk-through on how to use /etc/hosts to block ads ?

If everybody calls Kobo at least ones when an ad shows it would block their PBX and they would understand the abuse better ...
linux.kobo.user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:41 AM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by linux.kobo.user View Post
Maybe somebody should write a walk-through on how to use /etc/hosts to block ads ?

If everybody calls Kobo at least ones when an ad shows it would block their PBX and they would understand the abuse better ...
Sorry, there is a option to show ads. Jack had this enabled, so Kobo showing him an ad was reasonable. He has now turned this off. If he gets an ad now, then he can complain about that. As long as Kobo respect the option, that is all that is needed.

To me the real problem is how the ad was displayed. I can understand Kobo wanting to display the ad during the sync, but while actually reading is rude. And what Jack reported is at odds with how Kobo have stated it should work. I don't know what is going on there.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:06 AM   #18
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Maybe it was only a glitch, since Jack is the only one having reported this so far.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:48 AM   #19
Shankill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Geez. So its acceptable for those of you who are continually negative to say whatever you want, while some of us who try to bring a degree of civility to matters are not allowed too.

I wonder if you and your brethren have noted how many of the old gang of regular participants here have stopped posting and wondered why?

Quite simple.. The juvenile manner that so many of the posters here stoop too.
I'm with you on this one. I used to be a regular poster on here, but the tone of the place really gets me down, so I just lurk.

I mean yes, there are faults and bugs and issues and I have experienced many of them. (Remember the bug with... 2.0, I think it was, where the database would corrupt and a factory reset was required? I encountered that five times in the space of a week. That's five times I lost all of my sideloaded books and data.) But that's no excuse for relentless negativity. Criticism is perfectly fine. Unreasonable anger before trying to investigate the issue properly, however, isn't.

I've spent the past eight years voluntarily testing beta, alpha and nightly software. I encounter bugs and issues and things I don't like all the time, but I take the issue up with the developer(s)* rather than yelling at strangers on the internet. It's really not that hard to do.

If you have criticisms, there's no issue posting them. Just be polite, mature and reasonable about it. (I don't understand why people need to be reminded of this.)

Don't be a jerk, don't go making wild accusations and don't call someone a liar unless you can prove otherwise. Unless you have proof to back yourself up, do not lose your cool or you will--oh, dear, this is going to rhyme, isn't it?--look like a fool.

Getting back to the general forum atmosphere: when there's a forum like this and people feel the need to divide into camps, it's a) ridiculous, b) not helpful and c) really not going to get anyone anywhere.

tl;dr Before you write an angry post, stop, breathe and relax or you will look and sound ridiculous.

* That will be harder once Kobo leaves GS, but their developers still hang around places.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:22 AM   #20
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
For the record, this definitely happened whilst a book was opened. This definitely was content sent by Kobo, it was definitely a full page add. There was no button pressed. and yes in reading life you have an option of removing kobo notifications of things such as this. Make of it as you will it happened end of story.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:48 AM   #21
Shankill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
and yes in reading life you have an option of removing kobo notifications of things such as this.
Fully aware of this - one of the first things I did when I set up my Aura HD was uncheck that option. As I understand it (and as the director of R&D Devices suggested), it is for displaying promotional tiles on the home screen.

Quote:
Make of it as you will it happened end of story.
And you could have written something like this on the last page. Instead, you accused someone you haven't talked to and don't know of either lying or not knowing the product they oversee work on. It could have been some bizarre unforeseen bug or glitch or an accidental happenstance as others suggested.

As it is, you are the only person we know of so far to have reported it and instead of calmly writing that this weird thing happened out of nowhere, you started shouting at the internet.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:04 AM   #22
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
For the record, this definitely happened whilst a book was opened. This definitely was content sent by Kobo, it was definitely a full page add. There was no button pressed. and yes in reading life you have an option of removing kobo notifications of things such as this. Make of it as you will it happened end of story.

regards

Jack
I don't doubt that it happened to you Jack. Since the Kobo people have said it's not deliberate behaviour on the part of Kobo to have it pop up as a full page ad in the middle of a sync, I would be very confident that it was a freak one time (or extremely rare) event. Time will tell, but as others have pointed out, we aren't seeing a bunch of reports of this.

And BTW, yes Kobo does answer e-mails on a Sunday afternoon. We have often joked that they are slaves and work 24/7. I'll back Vicki up on the e-mail having been responded to and the contents as I received it too.

And since Jack was instantly on here posting his problem (which is fair), I'm not sure why it would be a problem that others had dug into it and pointed out that this is not "normal" behaviour for the device right away.

Last edited by robko; 09-23-2013 at 08:13 AM.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:31 AM   #23
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyvros View Post
I'm with you on this one. I used to be a regular poster on here, but the tone of the place really gets me down, so I just lurk.

I mean yes, there are faults and bugs and issues and I have experienced many of them. (Remember the bug with... 2.0, I think it was, where the database would corrupt and a factory reset was required? I encountered that five times in the space of a week. That's five times I lost all of my sideloaded books and data.) But that's no excuse for relentless negativity. Criticism is perfectly fine. Unreasonable anger before trying to investigate the issue properly, however, isn't.

I've spent the past eight years voluntarily testing beta, alpha and nightly software. I encounter bugs and issues and things I don't like all the time, but I take the issue up with the developer(s)* rather than yelling at strangers on the internet. It's really not that hard to do.

If you have criticisms, there's no issue posting them. Just be polite, mature and reasonable about it. (I don't understand why people need to be reminded of this.)

Don't be a jerk, don't go making wild accusations and don't call someone a liar unless you can prove otherwise. Unless you have proof to back yourself up, do not lose your cool or you will--oh, dear, this is going to rhyme, isn't it?--look like a fool.

Getting back to the general forum atmosphere: when there's a forum like this and people feel the need to divide into camps, it's a) ridiculous, b) not helpful and c) really not going to get anyone anywhere.

tl;dr Before you write an angry post, stop, breathe and relax or you will look and sound ridiculous.

* That will be harder once Kobo leaves GS, but their developers still hang around places.
I feel exactly the same, and my early posting on here would show I was hit hardest by a bug that had me reset my touch several times a day the first few weeks! It took a lot of nerve to not return the device right away for something else, but apart from this "glitch" the device was everything I hoped it would be. And even more so now...

Oh! And I know many, many people, including me, that will read, and respond to, work email through the week 'end (and some times the night). One's situation doors not apply to everybody else.
frankieGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:58 AM   #24
tlaine
Zealot
tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Mini; Kindle PW2
If Jack would kindly reply, did you check something after you set up your Aura that indicated you would like to receive "ads," or was this "option" on by default after setup?
tlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:23 AM   #25
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
I think it's on by default. It was certainly on for my Aura HD, after a recent factory reset.

(I think Reading Life is always on by default in a new setup, isn't it?)
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:37 PM   #26
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlaine View Post
If Jack would kindly reply, did you check something after you set up your Aura that indicated you would like to receive "ads," or was this "option" on by default after setup?
Untill this add displayed I never knew this option was there. So the answer to your question it was on by default. Had I been aware of it before hand I would have ensured it was checked off.

regards

JAck
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #27
tlaine
Zealot
tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Mini; Kindle PW2
Quote:
Untill this add displayed I never knew this option was there. So the answer to your question it was on by default. Had I been aware of it before hand I would have ensured it was checked off.
Thank you for replying.
tlaine is offline   Reply With Quote