Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
RichieTheK
Enthusiast
RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 (2012), Samsung Galaxy Pro 8.4
Sending files to MTP device without conversion

I am trying to send some books to an MTP-device using send-to-device. The device is a Nexus 7, connected via USB. I have configured calibre to send epub, pdf, cbz, and cbr files to the MTP-device in the device-configuration dialog. I have also defined two format-specific options to send cbr and cbz files to their own directory, "Comics".

Sending epub files works fine. When I try to send pdf/cbr/cbz files, I get a popup declaring that these formats are not compatible, along with an offer to automatically convert them. If I decline the offer to autoconvert, the files are not sent.

I have appropriate software to read these formats natively on the device, so I would like to send them without conversion. I have the feeling that somewhere there is an option or tweak to disable this conversion, but I have not been able to find it.

I also realize that I could save the files to disk and manually copy them over, or buy Calibre-Companion, but I would prefer to do it from within calibre, if possible. Any help with this is appreciated.

Environment: calibre 0.9.1, Windows 7 64-bit
RichieTheK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:52 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieTheK View Post
I am trying to send some books to an MTP-device using send-to-device. The device is a Nexus 7, connected via USB. I have configured calibre to send epub, pdf, cbz, and cbr files to the MTP-device in the device-configuration dialog. I have also defined two format-specific options to send cbr and cbz files to their own directory, "Comics".

Sending epub files works fine. When I try to send pdf/cbr/cbz files, I get a popup declaring that these formats are not compatible, along with an offer to automatically convert them. If I decline the offer to autoconvert, the files are not sent.

I have appropriate software to read these formats natively on the device, so I would like to send them without conversion. I have the feeling that somewhere there is an option or tweak to disable this conversion, but I have not been able to find it.

I also realize that I could save the files to disk and manually copy them over, or buy Calibre-Companion, but I would prefer to do it from within calibre, if possible. Any help with this is appreciated.

Environment: calibre 0.9.1, Windows 7 64-bit
Yep!
the device drivers have tick boxes to enable 'supported' formats.
the order of the items, determines the first found send order
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I am trying to send some books to an MTP-device using send-to-device. The device is a Nexus 7, connected via USB. I have configured calibre to send epub, pdf, cbz, and cbr files to the MTP-device in the device-configuration dialog.
Do you definitely have those formats checked?

Quote:
Make sure they are actually checked then restart calibre and try again. In theory if the format is checked it will be sent without any conversion required.

Quote:
Calibre-Companion, but I would prefer to do it from within calibre, if possible.
MTP should work fine, but to be clear using Calibre Companion is "from within calibre" using the Send to device button just like any other device driver including MTP.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
RichieTheK
Enthusiast
RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you all for your comments.

I figured out what I was doing wrong (operator error...). I was not selecting the format to send, I just clicked "OK", which assumed I wanted to send an epub format (the first in the list), necessitating a conversion of those books that did not have epub formats available. I was misinterpreting the message "No suitable formats" to mean that the formats I selected were not compatible with the device. The message actually means that the formats available for the books that I wanted to send did not include the format selected in the popup.

This, however, presents another problem. The popup only allows the selection of one format. If I have selected several books of different formats to send, I can only choose one format in the popup. Books not of this format will either be converted or not sent, depending on how I respond to the autoconversion notification popup.

I really think that declining the autoconversion should send the books unconverted.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you all for your comments.

I figured out what I was doing wrong (operator error...). I was not selecting the format to send, I just clicked "OK", which assumed I wanted to send an epub format (the first in the list), necessitating a conversion of those books that did not have epub formats available. I was misinterpreting the message "No suitable formats" to mean that the formats I selected were not compatible with the device. The message actually means that the formats available for the books that I wanted to send did not include the format selected in the popup.

This, however, presents another problem. The popup only allows the selection of one format. If I have selected several books of different formats to send, I can only choose one format in the popup. Books not of this format will either be converted or not sent, depending on how I respond to the autoconversion notification popup.

I really think that declining the autoconversion should send the books unconverted.
That message says NO ticked formats were available.

AGAIN
The order of the DEVICE plugin list sets the preference ORDER
it says, if all or any of the ticked formats exist, send the First with a tick.

If you prefer (and HAVE) Mobi over EPUB then that should be first or it will send EPUB. Don't have either, then it will convert to the first.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #6
RichieTheK
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
That message says NO ticked formats were available.

AGAIN
The order of the DEVICE plugin list sets the preference ORDER
it says, if all or any of the ticked formats exist, send the First with a tick.
I understand that the order of the formats sets a preference hierarchy. This makes sense if there are multiple formats for a given book as it specifies the preferred format to send.

I see no problem with how this works if I am sending only one book or several books of the same format. There is also no problem if I am trying to send a book that is in a format that is not ticked; conversion to the top ticked format is appropriate.

The problem arises if I want to send several books that do not have the same format. My tick list is, in order, epub, pdf, cbz, cbr. If I select a book that has only epub format and another that has only pdf format, I cannot send them both at once in their native format, even though both formats are ticked. If I try to send both, I have to select one of the two formats from the "Choose format" popup. If I select epub, then I get the "No suitable formats" popup for the pdf. Then the choice I have is to convert the pdf to epub (clicking "Yes") or not sending the pdf (clicking "No").

I feel that this is cumbersome because it forces me to perform multiple send operations based on format, e.g. send all books already in epub format (choosing the format epub, or simply clicking "OK" as epub is the preferred format), then send all books that are in pdf format (choosing the format pdf to avoid conversion to epub).

All this arises because the "Choose Format" popup only allows one choice and forces conversion to that choice. If it allowed multiple selections, it would be possible to send books of differing formats natively in the same send operation. The ordered list of formats would be used to select which format to send if a book existed in multiple (ticked) formats. Another option would be to keep the single format choice, ask for permission to convert books of other formats, but send them natively if conversion is declined and the current format of the book is a ticked format. If conversion is declined and the current format is not a ticked format, the book would not be sent.

I can live with this as it stands, but it just seems awkward.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:34 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

I think you are using the wrong menu choice (unless MTP works way different than Save to Disk).
You should use the normal 'Send', that way the list works without conversion. If you choose to send a Specified format, it MUST convert if it does not exist. The rest of the device valid formats are locked out by your choice.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #8
RichieTheK
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I think you are using the wrong menu choice (unless MTP works way different than Save to Disk).
You should use the normal 'Send', that way the list works without conversion. If you choose to send a Specified format, it MUST convert if it does not exist. The rest of the device valid formats are locked out by your choice.
I have been using the normal "Send to device" button. However, I did look at the drop down menu and saw the entry "Set default send to device action". I selected this and then "Send to main memory" (the only place it can go a Nexus 7). Now it seems to work like I expect. I can send mixed-format batches of books so long as all of the formats are acceptable to the device. I guess the default action had previously been "Send specific format to device". There does not seem to be any way to tell, at a glance, what the current default action is, which only added to my confusion.

Thank you for your help.