Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: How often has your T1 crashed/frozen? (after using it at least 3 days)
Once 38 23.60%
2-3 times 26 16.15%
More than 3 times 35 21.74%
Never 62 38.51%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-20-2011, 06:00 AM   #91
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David58117 View Post
My opinion is that there are probably defective batches out there, probably a bug as well where usage pattern comes into play
That's exactly my point.
Before, Sony Readers where top quality. They just worked. There were no questions about defective batch, or s/w issues or anything else. The Sony Readers worked. Period. That was the reason Why I loved all my Sony Readers. All of them were reliable right our of box. They all work even today.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:13 AM   #92
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
That's exactly my point.
Before, Sony Readers where top quality. They just worked. There were no questions about defective batch, or s/w issues or anything else. The Sony Readers worked. Period. That was the reason Why I loved all my Sony Readers. All of them were reliable right our of box. They all work even today.
Agreed. A poll for a new Sony ereader with numbers like these is a significant change.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2011, 10:24 AM   #93
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
That's exactly my point.
Yep, a few weeks ago I was touting the same thing in the Kobo sub-forum.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:43 AM   #94
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by feenix1363 View Post
I've found that if I swipe in the middle of the screen (as opposed to the bottom) then I don't have a problem with either freezing or crashing.
Okay that may have been my problem. I tend to swipe from the corner areas. I prefer doing it this way since I got into the habit with my PRS 350. I suppose I could try another T1 since I really do like it. But I also tend to read for more than 40 minutes a night. It was usually after 30-40 minutes my flipping pages & freezing occurred.

Changing my habits on swiping may be the answer for me.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:47 AM   #95
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
Okay that may have been my problem. I tend to swipe from the corner areas. I prefer doing it this way since I got into the habit with my PRS 350. I suppose I could try another T1 since I really do like it. But I also tend to read for more than 40 minutes a night. It was usually after 30-40 minutes my flipping pages & freezing occurred.

Changing my habits on swiping may be the answer for me.
I agree, I don't think that swiping across the middle of the screen is an acceptable solution for long term use. But this worked for me, and it will be interesting to see if it works for others.

If it does it should be a relatively easy fix for Sony to update, unless the hack is more widespread before they get their act together. In which case it may get sorted by the 'enthusiasts'.
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2011, 04:51 PM   #96
malifact
malifact can extract oil from cheesemalifact can extract oil from cheesemalifact can extract oil from cheesemalifact can extract oil from cheesemalifact can extract oil from cheesemalifact can extract oil from cheesemalifact can extract oil from cheesemalifact can extract oil from cheese

Device: None
I received a replacement T1 as I was experiencing the page flicking/touch screen not working problem. I thought the replacement was fine, but today the same problem occurred and I had to do a hard reset. Surely this must be a software problem?
malifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:55 PM   #97
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malifact View Post
I received a replacement T1 as I was experiencing the page flicking/touch screen not working problem. I thought the replacement was fine, but today the same problem occurred and I had to do a hard reset. Surely this must be a software problem?
Could it be an iffy epub?
Old 10-21-2011, 12:33 AM   #98
CedroRosso
Enthusiast
CedroRosso began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
What do you mean by freezing? Getting stuck on the home page or on a page in a book or do you mean the flipping page freeze thing? Just trying to understand if there are different types of freezing.
I had the flipping pages followed by touchscreen becoming inoperable problem on my initial unit.
CedroRosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:55 AM   #99
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
With Sony, I used to think that I pay a premium price for a premium item. Seems it is not the case anymore.
You used to pay a premium price. At $149 it's no longer a premium price - the Kindle is only $10 cheaper. I think I would prefer the premium price if I could get a premium product.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:54 AM   #100
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
You used to pay a premium price. At $149 it's no longer a premium price - the Kindle is only $10 cheaper. I think I would prefer the premium price if I could get a premium product.
Absolutely
Old 10-21-2011, 12:14 PM   #101
malifact
malifact can extract oil from cheesemalifact can extract oil from cheesemalifact can extract oil from cheesemalifact can extract oil from cheesemalifact can extract oil from cheesemalifact can extract oil from cheesemalifact can extract oil from cheesemalifact can extract oil from cheese

Device: None
Quote:
Could it be an iffy epub?
I don't think so as it's happened in both T1s with different books, including the onboard user manual.
malifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:29 PM   #102
Dterm
Dterm is kind to children and small, furry animalsDterm is kind to children and small, furry animalsDterm is kind to children and small, furry animalsDterm is kind to children and small, furry animalsDterm is kind to children and small, furry animalsDterm is kind to children and small, furry animalsDterm is kind to children and small, furry animalsDterm is kind to children and small, furry animalsDterm is kind to children and small, furry animalsDterm is kind to children and small, furry animalsDterm is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: T1
"Sony Screen Freeze" happened to me within a couple hours of purchase at a Best Buy in Canada.

Here's my experience:
I hadn't yet loaded any new books on it, and was just trying out the reader with the pre-loaded material...screen froze up seemingly for no reason.
I just put into sleep mode and went on with my day(no powerdown or hard-reset)... Next day, woke it up and it was working fine.
...weird.

Firmware update please!!!
Too bad the T1 isn't made by RIM...it would receive negative headlines in the news everywhere - and maybe we'd hear something from them in acknowledgement.

Last edited by Dterm; 10-21-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Dterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:53 PM   #103
CedroRosso
Enthusiast
CedroRosso began at the beginning.

Whelp, my new device just did the page-flipping/touchscreen-locking thing last night, though it took a week or two to manifest this time. Do you all really think that SONY will release a firmware fix for this?
CedroRosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:20 PM   #104
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by malifact View Post
including the onboard user manual.
Omg.

Guys, I am sorry to hear about it.
No gloating on my part. I was Sony Reader fan from the day one of PRS-500.
I wish if they wanted to have a cheap plastic reader to compete with Kindle and others, they had made two models. Budget and premium. Let us, customers, decide which one suits our needs.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:37 PM   #105
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedroRosso View Post
Whelp, my new device just did the page-flipping/touchscreen-locking thing last night, though it took a week or two to manifest this time. Do you all really think that SONY will release a firmware fix for this?
I can't see why they wouldn't release a fix -- but then again I don't have much experience with them so will defer to others who have been long time Sony Reader users.

It is understandable that these type of bugs would happened with new platform/software and although I will be patient, I'm not sure the typical consumer will be.
log is offline   Reply With Quote