Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-31-2011, 03:31 PM   #31
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
Maybe they should just give them away for free.
No maybe about it, that's what needs to be done. The potential for infinite access to all texts and its possible effects on the future of the species is too great to lay in the hands of a few individual publishers.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:50 PM   #32
Assassin
Connoisseur
Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: kindle
For me books of all kinds are like any other product I buy. I don't have to buy any product if I judge it the price be higher that I put it's value to me. If beef is too expensive I can buy pork, chicken or fish. The same with books; just because I want it doesn't mean a publishing house or an indie author has to put the price low enough to entice me. If it sells at a price reasonable to others but too high for me that's as it should be. If the books doesn't sell at a higher price it will drop according to supply and demand. The market does and will set the price.
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:28 PM   #33
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Oh, that was subtle.

"They're not all expensive... take my book for example."
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:38 PM   #34
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Oh, that was subtle.

"They're not all expensive... take my book for example."
True, but at least this instance of misplaced self-promotion was actually relevant to the topic. Usually it's more like:

"I'm looking for inspirational romance."
"Oh, awesome! I wrote this great apocalyptic thriller with hawt androids! Check it out! It's getting great reviews on robotlovin.com!"
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:41 PM   #35
Bev M
Enthusiast
Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.

Device: JetBook Lite
For me, the frustration isn't the absolute cost of the books. It's the price fixing that I find objectionable. I get emails almost daily with discounts and coupons and other incentives for printed books. I used to get those same sorts of deals for ebooks. Now the sellers aren't allowed to discount ebooks, but the publishers still apparently have no problem with all sorts of discounts for paper. I truly don't understand why the difference! Had the publishers done something "half way" like not allowing NYT bestsellers to sell for less than $XXX, or not allowing discounts for XX amount of time after an ebook was published, I'd have been OK with that. I've never been one who "had to" have the latest book in any format. But to simply disallow the same sorts of discounts or frequent buyer rewards that are allowed for paper just makes no sense to me.
Bev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:48 PM   #36
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
True, but at least this instance of misplaced self-promotion was actually relevant to the topic. Usually it's more like:

"I'm looking for inspirational romance."
"Oh, awesome! I wrote this great apocalyptic thriller with hawt androids! Check it out! It's getting great reviews on robotlovin.com!"
Well, hawt android lovin=romance, getting great reviews=inspirational, yet when you put them together it does not quite add up to what the hypothetical OP is asking for.

But if you tilt your head sideways and squint like someone's shining one of those pocket laser pointers into your eyes and you really wish you had telekinetic head-exploding powers like a David Cronenberg film so you could make them stop, you can kind of see where the hypothetical self-promoter's "reasoning" is coming from.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #37
outlander78
Zealot
outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Arc 7
Funny! I am not brave enought to check if "robotlovin" is a real site.
outlander78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:09 PM   #38
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlander78 View Post
Funny! I am not brave enought to check if "robotlovin" is a real site.
Just use whois:

Whois Server Version 2.0

Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
for detailed information.

Domain Name: ROBOTLOVIN.COM
Registrar: GODADDY.COM, INC.
Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
Referral URL: http://registrar.godaddy.com
Updated Date: 16-jul-2010
Creation Date: 01-jun-2000
Expiration Date: 25-jul-2011

There you go - somebody has had it for 11 years now.

But if you think I'm going to type http://www.robotlovin.com into my browser you're crazy.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:24 PM   #39
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
No maybe about it, that's what needs to be done. The potential for infinite access to all texts and its possible effects on the future of the species is too great to lay in the hands of a few individual publishers.
If everything is to be free, what incentive would there be to create new works? As things stand, people are able to create and have their work support themselves and their family. If they had no possibility of income, they would not be able to support themselves and would have to find alternative forms of work. Even if they did it for the pure enjoyment of it, they still would not have the means of sharing it with the world at large, since that still costs plus the companies that would ordinarily be there to provide services to share it would no longer be existing since they couldn't generate profit and couldn't afford to keep running while doing that type of work.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:25 PM   #40
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Robotlovin.com doesn't resolve, can't pull up a server.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:27 PM   #41
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Just use whois:

Whois Server Version 2.0

Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
for detailed information.

Domain Name: ROBOTLOVIN.COM
Registrar: GODADDY.COM, INC.
Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
Referral URL: http://registrar.godaddy.com
Updated Date: 16-jul-2010
Creation Date: 01-jun-2000
Expiration Date: 25-jul-2011

There you go - somebody has had it for 11 years now.

But if you think I'm going to type http://www.robotlovin.com into my browser you're crazy.
Chicken. It seems to be in the void at the moment. I'm guessing its last known server is inactive or it's in limbo until it gets a new one. I really just pulled it out of my... er, hat earlier.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:30 PM   #42
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Robotlovin.com doesn't resolve, can't pull up a server.
Haha! I knew I couldn't be the only one that just had to go check it out.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:01 PM   #43
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicLavigne View Post
Common sense on this must have vast misperceptions. Paper books have the following costs: printing, boxing, shipping, storage, shelf space, all per book. Ebooks have none of those overhead prices. Electronic shipment via internet cannot compare to the creation and handling of paper books. So I have a hard time understanding where only 10% of the costs are related to printing on paper.

Vic
But you left out digital distribution requires computers.
THEN larger servers to keep the data THEN the employees to operate said computers and servers.
THEN the publishers need to have strong monitored security for said systems and the security technicians wich all cost big bucks.
THEN they have to pay for powerfull internet access wich will cost said publisher alot of money per month because they cant get bye on a dsl line.
THEN they have to pay for the employees who have to distribute it to various e-retailers. None of these count for electricity employee insurence/retirement or taxes.

Im not saying its more expensive but im tired of everyone on the internet thinking everything is just cheap digital content out of thin air with little or no overhead at all and think that its all needs to be free or dirt cheap.

Your little digital book took many expensive steps to get to your ereading device
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:05 PM   #44
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by covfam View Post
This is ridiculous. Are you seriously suggesting that hosting a simple file in the cloud somewhere is comparable to the whole business of printing, shipping and warehousing regular books?
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:15 PM   #45
Hellmark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by covfam View Post
THEN larger servers to keep the data THEN the employees to operate said computers and servers.
THEN the publishers need to have strong monitored security for said systems and the security technicians wich all cost big bucks.
THEN they have to pay for powerfull internet access wich will cost said publisher alot of money per month because they cant get bye on a dsl line.
THEN they have to pay for the employees who have to distribute it to various e-retailers. None of these count for electricity employee insurence/retirement or taxes.

Im not saying its more expensive but im tired of everyone on the internet thinking everything is just cheap digital content out of thin air with little or no overhead at all and think that its all needs to be free or dirt cheap.

Your little digital book took many expensive steps to get to your ereading device
Yes, but the steps cost less when you spread it out. With each paperbook, there is only so many they can ship on each truck, where as with stuff over an internet connection, things travel so much faster, and they can get far more books transferred in the amount of time that it takes one truckload to reach its destination.

Plus, most publishers don't host the books themselves, just like they don't sell the books directly themselves. They leave it to the retailers, who must bear most of the costs you mention, yet those retailers are not the ones who set the cost anymore.