Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 09-02-2010, 12:56 PM   #1
ASparrow
Addict
ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX
Peregrin

FYI for those who might be interested,

I just uploaded a revised version of Peregrin (Xenolith's sequel) to Smashwords at:

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/20932

This version contains many fixes, including new or entirely re-written paragraphs. It satisfies me at the moment but I hesitate to say this is the final version. I keep getting surprised by clunky passages and cryptic typos (sing bird versus song bird).

It's free, but if you haven't read Xenolith, I don't recommend reading this one first. Peregrin assumes some familiarity with Xenolith's settings and characters. I won't be promoting it much except to notify regarding any additional tweaks.
ASparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:17 AM   #2
ASparrow
Addict
ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Peregrin is still free, as is Xenolith.

Some people say that free books aren't worth reading because they're usually trash. One can usually tell within a paragraph or a page whether something is horrible or not. Give Xenolith a glance to see if it's your cup of tea.

Meanwhile, my latest novel, Sonant has hit 46k in first draft. I'll be taking my time with this one because it contains resonances that I want to fully develop. It's not like anything I've yet written.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:53 PM   #3
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASparrow View Post
Peregrin is still free, as is Xenolith.

Some people say that free books aren't worth reading because they're usually trash. One can usually tell within a paragraph or a page whether something is horrible or not. Give Xenolith a glance to see if it's your cup of tea.

Meanwhile, my latest novel, Sonant has hit 46k in first draft. I'll be taking my time with this one because it contains resonances that I want to fully develop. It's not like anything I've yet written.
I definitely am not one who agrees with that sentence in bold. I agree with your sentence that follows. I have paid good money for some books that turned out to be trash, and I have taken advantage of some free offers that have been surprisingly outstanding books.

Thanks for the info on your revisions!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:03 PM   #4
ASparrow
Addict

Yeah, I usually jump the chance of a free book and in some cases I've been rewarded some great writing, sometimes with warts, but not always. Not all freebies are worth reading, but then again, neither are many books with price tags and high sales figures.
(I couldn't get past page 2 of Dan Brown's The Davinci Code, for example).

It's worth taking a peek at freebies. You can't predict quality from the price alone.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:19 PM   #5
ASparrow
Addict

PEREGRIN is still free (as are my other books), but I'm thinking of experimenting with pricing starting on October 12 (the day after XENOLITH's one year anniversary).
Old 02-06-2011, 01:03 PM   #6
ASparrow
Addict

A new, improved version of PEREGRIN has been uploaded to Smashwords, courtesy of some comments of astute readers at http://Page99test.com. 10 out of 12 users said they would turn the page, despite some awkward phrasing and some overuse of a character's name in the sentence structures. I've taken the opportunity to revamp an entire chapter.

It never ceases to how blind a writer can be to the flaws of her own writing. Updates like these make me rest easier, though I know little bombs still lurk in my prior works. That's why I keep writing new stuff. (Four chapters left before 'final' edits begin on my latest book - "Sonant").
Old 03-09-2011, 09:04 PM   #7
ASparrow
Addict

Yet another tweak of Peregrin has been released on Smashwords, thanks to the kind services of a proof editor.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:32 PM   #8
ASparrow
Addict

I just finished the penultimate draft of my new novel, Sonant and am sending it out to Beta readers today. It will be released on Smashwords in early April

(April 1 if I get comments back in time).

This one will have a price, but I'll be offering a 100% off coupon valid for the first month of release. Just FYI.