Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-17-2010, 10:55 AM   #1
tb74
tb74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
A funny thing happened last night...

I've had my 650 for a couple of weeks now and have run completely issue free... until yesterday. I was happily reading my book on the subway as I made my way home from work and all was well. Put the reader away (in a padded slip case, safe and sound) and continued home. Last night, as I was getting ready to do some bedtime reading, I could not get my reader to turn on. The screen was blank, the power switch did nothing. The red light did not come one. I plugged it in to the wall (using my BlackBerry slim-USB charger) and nothing. I plugged it in to my iMac USB and nothing. I was convinced my reader was dead and was getting a wee bit upset. On a lark, I thought I would try hitting the reset button using an unfurled paperclip. That did the trick. The reader sprung back to life and I continued on my way, with no visible impact to my battery bars.

Has anyone else experienced this oddity? I don’t know what caused it, but if someone has any insight, please share!
tb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:42 AM   #2
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
1. When you put your reader away on the subway, did you put it to sleep, shut it down completely, or just leave it on?

2. When you got it out to read before going to bed, before turning it on, was the screen blank, or displaying the standby image?
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2010, 12:21 PM   #3
tb74
tb74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
1. Put it to sleep. I usually just flip the power switch and pocket it. Have yet to shut it down completely.

2. The screen was blank. (To be clear, it is always blank. I have turned off the standby image option.)
tb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:40 PM   #4
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb74 View Post
To be clear, it is always blank.
Is that a pun?
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:05 PM   #5
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
That's difficult to explain. I once had my 350 freeze up on me, but it happened after executing a series of text searches in a large book. I figured it eventually overwhelmed the memory. After a soft reset, everything was back to normal. Thus, I thought that if you had put it back in your case still fully on, then maybe a page button was continuously held down causing a similar problem. The only other explanations that I can think of would be if the temperature was very hot or very cold. I suppose another possibility might be if there was already a very low charge on the battery. Sorry I can't be of more help. Maybe someone else will have another idea.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2010, 08:04 PM   #6
ctcntera2
ctcntera2 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-650
I've had my prs-650 freeze up under two circumstances:
I tried charging it through the USB port and an apple adapter: it said that it was charging and then fully charged, but when I unplugged it... well it wasn't happy. It got rebooted when it froze with the "wait" circle arrow thingy on the screen.
It's also frozen on my when I've been furiously editing, saving and re-editing a couple Text Memos where I put a "to do" list. Apparently it wasn't really happy with that. Neither was I because I really kept wishing for a copy-and-paste function in while editing my memos (but it's handy!).
ctcntera2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:58 PM   #7
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Never experienced it, but I recommend a restart (turn it on after depressing the reset button).

These things don't have a ton of processing power, and it's possible that after a few weeks of reading a random OS thread was running unchecked.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:14 AM   #8
frquixote
Addict
frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Libra 2, Kindle PW3, Samsung 8A Tablet, Samsung S10e Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb74 View Post
Put the reader away (in a padded slip case, safe and sound) and continued home.
Sorry to go off topic a little, but have to ask ... can you tell me where you got a padded slip case that fits the PRS-650? I'd really like to find something I can slip my PRS-650 into while it is in its lighted case! That way it will be well protected in my messenger bag and all the dust and stuff will be kept out.
frquixote is offline   Reply With Quote