Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #1
markpearl
Enthusiast
markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Advantage of KF8 w/Kindle Keyboard?

I have a Kindle Keyboard with ver. 3.3 firmware -- latest one I know of.

Recently I've been using the Calibre plugin tweak test_mobi_output_type = 'both' when converting ePub files to Mobi. The results are mostly much larger mobi files -- nothing more.

I know that Amazon's been porting their newer books to KF8, having re-downloaded some of my older purchases and seeing the new format and fatter files. But for the conversion purposes I mentioned, can anyone tell me the advantage given my Kindle model?

Thanks.
markpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:37 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The Kindle Keyboard does not support KF8. Only .azw and .mobi. There hasn't been a firmware update to support it, and probably won't be. I belive that when given a KF8 file, it just displays the .mobi part.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2012, 01:29 AM   #3
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpearl View Post
I have a Kindle Keyboard with ver. 3.3 firmware -- latest one I know of.

Recently I've been using the Calibre plugin tweak test_mobi_output_type = 'both' when converting ePub files to Mobi. The results are mostly much larger mobi files -- nothing more.

I know that Amazon's been porting their newer books to KF8, having re-downloaded some of my older purchases and seeing the new format and fatter files. But for the conversion purposes I mentioned, can anyone tell me the advantage given my Kindle model?

Thanks.
Mobi does not support all formatting styles etc that epub does so converting from that to mobi you loose some things. If you are deleting your epubs after you convert I think you would be better of keeping your current settings. Currently your reader does not support kf8 but you might upgrade.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
All the combined KF8/Mobi does for you is take up more space on your Kindle. You only can read from the mobi part.

Suggestion is to generate just mobi & keep the ePub for correcting error and in case you someday get a Kindle that supports KF8 without the line height bug.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote